“started out on a bad note” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose

You added Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose to your Saves list
Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Costado Sur Del Parque De La Paz | 15 milles away from the Intern. Airport, San Jose 68-2400, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #46 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Livonia, Michigan
“started out on a bad note”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I booked through an online site where we got a great rate, I believe it was around $80/night. It was me, my husband, and our three girls (all under ten). A week or so before we left I saw the icon on the hotel's webpage too chat with a specialist. Great. One of the reasons we choose this hotel was because of the free airport shuttle. I chatted with the very nice lady who said that a driver would be there as soon as we got off the plane. Awesome, until we got ofc the plane and found drivers for everybody but us. Some guys contacted the hotel and worked it out (for a tip, of course). An hour later we were picked up. I asked if our lunch would be compensated and he said that they had no reservation for our p pick up. Luckily, I chose to have an email of the online chat sent too me, so I had proof! In the end, lunch was covered. Breakfast was good. Not tons of choices, but good. The rooms were old feeling. Mildew on the ceiling above the shower, cigarette marks on the scalloped sink, tilted outlets and soap holders. I am tall, just shy of 6 feet, and I had to sit on an angle in the bathroom because the toilet was so close to vanity. I could have washed my feet and hands while using the toilet, it's that small. The beds were crap. Tempurpedic? Not in our room. My husband and I haven't snuggled that much since we first started dating. A double bed is rough when both people are tall! The girls slept like angels :) the outside of the buildings is beautiful! I really enjoyed looking at them. The service was wonderful as well. All in all I have mixed feeling about this place, but wouldn't return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Amherst, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

A strange place to book if you are a tour operator. Why on earth would I want to drive from the airport to San Jose in all that traffic after hours of flying, just to drive back in the same direction the next morning toward the Arenal or Monteverde areas (and then do the same crazy thing a week later)? Service and staff very friendly, most speak English amazingly well. The murals on the building walls are picturesque, the fountain with colorful tiles in the center gives it a village feel. Food is fair; eat here it you are too tired to drive somewhere else, although, the kids meals are good and large enough for an adult, if a burger or a quesadilla is ok; breakfast buffet is not the tastiest we've encountered. Ample parking; drive around the block to the Alamo-looking entrance. There is a reason it looks like the Alamo - you are basically inside a very lovely looking and well protected fort, not a place you want to venture out from and take a stroll. There is probably a good reason even the humblest of abodes in the area has iron gates and bars in front of their windows and doors. Rooms are ok, but why would I need a kitchen for an overnight stay? And be careful, the sodas in the fridge were not left by someone else, they are part of the minibar. Check the price list on the counter!!! I'd rather have a nice large hotel room. Small bathrooms (wish it was as large as the kitchen) with mildew odor (the two that I encountered). Room 121 - to avoid getting scalded while taking a shower, let the sink hot water run while you take the shower. Also, bring ear plugs, the room is right by the road, and the motorcycles and trucks are very loud. Room 420 - the hot tub is right outside your bedroom window, could be fun or very noisy. Best to take a taxi if you are planning to go downtown, unless you really enjoy good bumper to bumper traffic with some zipping motorcycles thrown in. Pool looked great, but unless you are a bit of an exhibitionist and enjoy it when the entire restaurant watches, not the best place for a swim (therefore, not one person in it the two days we were there). Wifi works well in rooms (get code from front desk); guest computer in lobby did not work when we were there (and had no printer, in case you want to print your boarding passes). If you are returning from Monteverde area, do yourself a favor and take the Rt 27 toll road (about $3) back to San Jose rather than Rt 1, much less stressful.
Overall, not a bad place if you really need to stay in the San Jose area, maybe for a conference or such, then the kitchen may come in handy. But if you don't have to, just stay in the airport area and make the drive to your next destination an hour shorter (1/2 hr plus traffic).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and leave the A/C on, best noise cancellation.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It was nice to have an apartment unit with a full kitchen but the bedrooms and bathroom felt really cramped. The unit didn't seem that old but I think things could have been laid out better. There was mildew and mold in the bathroom shower, walls and celing and the kitchen seemed half completed with not cabinets under the sink counter. Friendly staff, nice pool, good food.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Casa Conde is a good hotel under new management since my last visit. Good meals and safe property. Fair value! It has a great pool. The breakfast is a good Costa Rican experience. Access to shopping is easy.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We arrive at the Casa Conda very late at night after a stressful day of traveling. We walked the ought the arch into the dining and pool area which was all lit up with folded napkins and a buffet set out for us. That immediately made me feel so much better. The food is fantastic and the rooms are clean.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
greenville va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Read other reviews of the Casa Conde and after staying here thought they were petty. I really enjoyed my stay here. I found the staff, attentive and eager to please. The wifi was fast and available in my room and in the dining room. I worked out at a small outdoor gym area that was clean and well equipped. I ate breakfast and dinner here and found the food tasty and well prepared. The breakfast was especially good- a nice selection of fresh fruit and eggs cooked to your preference. It was around a 8-10 dollar taxi ride to the central areas of San Jose. taxis were plentiful, safe and fast. I didn't mind staying at Casa which is away from the crowded and inner city. A huge group of American school kids were staying here as well. They seemed to be happy and well cared for. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Cleveland, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel is truly beautiful outside, lovely shrubbery and pool. Very helpful and courteous staff. The breakfast was very good. We stayed there at the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. The rooms are large and adequate with two separate bedrooms, but need some work. A kitchenette was included. There were no filters for the coffee machine and utensils were sparse. On our first stay, the WiFi worked, but could not be received in our room on the second stay. The bathroom floor looked clean, but when we happened to spill some water on the floor, it became a sea of dirt. The second time we stayed, the bathroom window handle was broken off and it took some ingenuity on our part to get it shut when it started raining. The inside needs to be as carefully cared for as the outside.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose? Share your experiences!