“Good starting point for a tour” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Villa Tournon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #63 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Good starting point for a tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel as a starting point for a group tour, but also booked a separate night to arrive 1 night prior to the tour. Check in was quick and efficient with the reception greeting me by name as I got out the taxi. Breakfast consisted of the average breakfast buffet with popular items like sausages, cereals, fruit, tea, coffee, juice, eggs. Decent Wifi for the laptop, or use the computers in reception for free. Bed was nice and comfy, and a clean bathroom. The walk into the centre of San Jose isn't too long either so well placed for visiting the centre, but also out of town enough to be away from all the hussle and bussle of the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
St. Louis , MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed here for one night, on the final night of our tour of Costa Rica. The lobby was clean and welcoming, but it was dark and in need of some brightening up. I liked how there were complimentary computers to use, and a lounge area. The pool area was nice, and felt like an oasis in the middle of the city except for the actual pool itself- it was dirty and desperately needed to be cleaned. The hot tub was very nice, and it was cool how it was in the middle of a tropical garden. The rooms were on the small side, but were very clean. Apparently there is a lot of variation in the rooms, as someone else in our group had the same room category and price but different stuff in the room. It was the same floor plan, they had just a shower while we had a SB combo, they had a flat-screen while we had a TV from the 70's, and they had completely different paint scheme and light fixtures. Their room was so much better. The bathroom was nice, clean, and shower had plenty of hot water with great shower pressure. The hallways, room and lobby all seem very dark- there was lots of dark wood with dark red. It felt depressing. Update needed. I recommend this hotel for business travelers, and travelers in transit from/to different parts of the country, for short stays only. I do not recommend this place longer than 2 nights. For safety, I felt safe, as there were video cameras and locked doors/gates/fences surrounding hotel with the occasional security guard visit.

P.S.- There was a fitness center with a dinosaur treadmill, antique stair climber and free-weights in the basement. I was to scared someone would come and kill me there than to use it :p

Room Tip: Choose a top level room near the lobby- levels 2 or 3 to avoid having your room in the basement (lik...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is deceptive. The décor of reception and restaurant areas is a bit old fashioned and dark, and the rooms although adequate are dated. But for one night before the start of a holiday or at the end before flying home it's fine. It is conveniently located and tour buses pick people up from there. The food is good though the breakfast could be a little more imaginative, and the staff helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brit in UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here probably like most people for a one night transit on the way in and another on the way out of Costa Rica. For that purpose this hotel is ok. The bedroom was clean, albeit as previously reported a little dated now. The food was acceptable and there is a bar / restaurant, albeit it is dark and dingy and doesn't open late.

I found the food and drink prices for this type of hotel are on the high side even for Costa Rica.
But unless you are willing to brave the 15 minute walk into town there aren't too many options in the immediate area. While I never felt unduly threatened in any part of Costa Rica at least part of this walk is not only up hill but through a fairly poorly lit and (at night) isolated area. If only one or two of you are planning to take this walk I would take a taxi.

The swimming pool was a bit littered with blossom droppings from the trees but still quite clean enough to swim in. I was swimming in it on a Sunday so I chalked this one up to the pool cleaner's day off.

The staff are a mixed bag. The reception and cleaning staff were very friendly but the waiting and bar staff in severe need of some happy pills. One small thing I did find a little irritating was that on my first visit there were complimentary coffee / tea making facilities in the bedroom. On my return visit two weeks later I had to ask for it. Despite being told by reception that it would be brought to my room it wasn't. When I asked again the following morning I was told that the management had decided to charge $3 per cup for this facility. Ok a small point in the grand scale of things but when charging $95 per night for a room I suggest it will cause more grief than it is worth to make this an additional charge.

There is free wi-fi in reception, which is helpful for completing on line check in. Whether you are able to print your boarding pass will depend on whether the hotel office is open but you can always get this at the airport anyway. NB Don't forget the departure tax which has to be paid at the airport ($29 Feb 2014).

Overall I would stay at the hotel again but only as a transit facility.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here on 2 occasions on a recent tour round Costa Rica. I asked the receptionist in Spanish to put my medication in the fridge. I discovered the next day it had been left out in reception. So I got our Costa Rican tour guide to explain again it had to be put in the fridge. The second time we visited I again asked for my medication to be put in the fridge but the next day discovered they'd put it in the freezer completely destroying it. I wasn't offered any apology but our tour guide got them to give me a free dinner. One of our group found a rubber band in his dessert, another had cockroaches in the bathroom and my bedding didn't look like it had been washed in weeks. At least the swimming pool looked clean!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Many of the previous reviews already mention this hotel is a little dated but (as always) this is balanced off somewhat by what you're prepared to pay and how long you intend to stay.

My stay was a late afternoon, evening meal followed by breakfast and flight home so I can't offer advice on what it's like to "stay in your room" for any length of time except for sleeping in.

I found the room, (decent size) bed (very comfy) and shower (finally a hot blast!) all excellent as was the evening meal.

If you're not staying for dinner there is a small group of restaurants less than 5mins away on the other side of the road and circa 300m on the right as you walk up the hill.

The downside was a noisy aircon unit but given it wasn't too hot that was just turned off when I went to bed.

There was good wifi connectivity in the lobby and bar but even better was 2 full sized PC's for guests use which was easier to use than the smaller wifi enabled tablet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Lake Mills, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Room was clean but very dated. Best shower we'd had in a week of traveling Costa Rica. Only had supper in the restaurant, and it was really pretty tasty until I found something resembling a straw from a broom in my spaghetti sauce. I was done after that. We're from the US and we're only here for about 12 hours before heading to the airport for home! I probably would have slept in a box after the terrible experiences I'd had over the course of nine days, so this hotel wasn't bad at all. Never got a chance to see the pool. Rooms were a bit noisy, and we never tried the air conditioning unit. I wouldn't recommend this place for an extended stay, but as I said, one night wasn't bad at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa Tournon? Share your experiences!