“Starting point” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Brighton
“Starting point”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was the starting point for a group tour of Central America. It was perfectly ok after a long flight and slept well. Not in a nice part of town though. Full of young group from USA who were not especially well behaved.
Room was acceptable and clean. Buffet breakfast was very good with choice and staff pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently went with a tour group to Costa Rica and we spent our 1st two nights at this hotel. It is a convenient location and the dining room staff is very friendly, BUT, that is where anything positive about my stay ends. I was fortunate to stay in a room with wood floors - the girls who stayed in rooms with carpet described it smelling of "dead bodies". My room was much quieter than the rooms facing the busy street and near the casino (thanks to reading Trip Advisor before my trip). The hallways are pitch black at night until the motion sensor lights go on. My room was at the beginning of the hall, so I actually had to walk down the hall a bit before they came on. Uncomfortable bed and pillows, lukewarm water, broken AC, no peep hole in door, filthy hot tub out back...... The packet of morning coffee in the room was very good, but when I asked for one for my second morning there, I was informed one was provided only the 1st night of your stay. The front desk staff was RUDE! (especially the bald guy). I will pay a bit more to feel safe when I return to Costa Rica!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, choose a room with no carpet & facing the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Arrived here after 23 hour journey from Manchester. Room was lovely. At the back of the hotel above the pool area. Large, clean room with 2 massive beds. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Breakfast was great, pleanty of choice on the buffet of hot and cold options inc bacon and eggs, cereal, local dishes, fruit. Pool area was well looked after & lovely to chill out after wandering the busy street of San Jose. Casino next door was good fun too

Room Tip: ask for room above the pool away from the main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

as per other recent reviews, this is really a place for a stop over for no more than one or two nights. It's dark throughout, rooms are basic but clean and everything worked, breakfasts are adequate only, bar staff a bit miserable, food in the restaurant again adequate but nothing more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We, a family of 4, stayed here on a 2 week self-guided tour of Costa Rica, one night at the beginning and 2 nights at the end. I stay in quite a few hotels but rarely write reviews as I am not fussy and usually don't feel I have anything new to pass on to fellow travellers. Of this hotel I would say the following. Being on a tour, I don't know exactly what it cost. So it may well have been good value. Certainly the hotel was very popular with organised group tours - there were often coaches unloading or loading huge groups into or out of the lobby. Our room was reasonable and the facilities, including a pool which we did not use, seemed OK. 3 important points. 1. Noise. The road outside is busy and noisy ALL night. On arrival we were severely jet-lagged and didn't mind-we could have slept through anything. On returning, we had requested a room at the back, which request had been ignored. We got ourselves moved and our room on the back was much quieter, except for a noise like a jackhammer when next door turned their taps on. 2. Water. We never had any hot water. there is supposed to be a schedule, with the heater only turned on at certain times to save energy. Their website just advertises the availability of "hot water" and on checking in, no-one tells you about this schedule. Reception were quite vague as to when hot water ought to be available and the long and short of it is, we never got any. 3. Location. The hotel is a couple of miles out of the town centre. We could happily walk this in the daytime. At night, knowing nothing about the town or the area, most people wouldn't want to. Thus you're stuck with the hotel restaurant (OK, not great value or great choice) or a taxi. One reviewer notes that just up the hill there is a commercial centre - this is true but we found very few places open there and just a couple of restaurants which were OK but pricey. This centre, "El Pueblo" or something like that is reviewed elsewhere on the net - basicly it's a tourist trap with a lot of expensive bars and nightclubs wanting to attract the younger US crowd - but it seems to be struggling.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are incredibly noisy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aalst, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Spent one night in this hotel in 2 rooms (2 adults and 2 kids). When I felt something crawling over my face, I turned on the light and a saw 3 bedbugs on my pillow. Killed 7 more and found a nest between the 2 mattresses (see picture).
The kids woke up with their sheets stained with blood (also picture).
When the reception was notified, the manager printed some pages from the internet on these vermin, but never explained us how he was going to "manage" this.
The real problem is that these bugs can hide in your clothes and infest your home!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were booked into this hotel by EF tours so I did not choose it. I would call it adequate but I wou
Dn't have wanted to stay any longer. The bed was noisy due to some sort of crinkly plastic covering. The pool area looked very nice but we had no time to spend in it. Of the 5 hotels in which we stayed in Costa Rica this one rated the lowest.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Villa Tournon? Share your experiences!