“Charming, eccentric little place.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Don Carlos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 9 y Calle 9, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Charming, eccentric little place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed here for two separate one night stays in April. My first room (#14) was probably one of their smallest rooms, but it was cozy and a respectable size for one person.

My second room(s) were #6 and #3. #6 was probably my favorite of the three, large and opening up into the courtyard. However, when I went in to brush my teeth at night, a cockroach greeted me on the counter. I tried to capture him under a cup (my response to all bugs that are too big to squish) but he was too quick for me.

The night manager very kindly tried to exterminate the little guy, and moved my room without my asking when he couldn't. Normally a cockroach would indicate a lack of cleanliness to me, but honestly, the rooms here did seem very clean. I suspect it's just an unavoidable part of being in a city hotel such as this.

I appreciated the kindness of the gent at the front desk, suggesting the room move and not making me feel like a goof for being creeped out by a bug. A big bug, but a bug nonetheless.

The food in the restaurant was delicious, and the atmosphere was very welcoming. The maids always smiled and greeted me, and I generally felt very welcome at this property. Would stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank RunCatchKiss

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We only stayed overnight on a recent tour of Costa Rica. The receptionist was exceedingly welcoming, friendly and helpful. It started our holiday on the perfect note. A quirky hotel with a very happy, family feel. The room was perfect and the hotel itself is perfectly situated to walk into the centre of San José. We didn't eat in the restaurant but perhaps we should have done as what we got in town was not great and considerably more expensive. We left before breakfast for out trip to Tortuguero. We would happily return for an extended stay,

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The outside of the hotel is very nice and the staff is service minded and helpful. The rooms could do with some updating but they are very big and there are rooms with more than two beds. The hotel is within walking distance to the gold museum (10-15 minutes) as well as cafés and restaurants.
There is no air conditioning and the showers take some time to get warm, but it's clean.

Room Tip: Some rooms face a street with more traffic (towards the side of the hotel, not where the front entra...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hoya91
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hotel Don Carlos is unique in that it was the home of two presidential families. They are small and have a nice restaurant with good food. They include a very nice breakfast buffet with great fresh fruit and good food. They also have computers with free Internet access.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms, one before our tour and one after, and both were very noisy. I am not s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading several reviews complaining about the noise but my stay was extremely pleasant. I loved the fact that this hotel was the base of scientists who started the ecotourism movement in Costa Rica. The history of this wonderful country can be felt in every room with the art, architecture and antiques. It is a series of houses linked together and there are several places to squirrel away some time reading or chatting with fellow travellers. It is a good neighborhood for walking at daytime but be careful after dark. Don't walk alone.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room so you have a window. Try to get a room at the back of the facility on the s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carol P
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

When I first walked into the lobby, I was taken aback by the beauty of this hotel.There was art EVERYWHERE! And not cheesy hotel art either. There were beautiful wood carvings, colorful stained glass windows, and vibrant paintings all throughout the hotel. The jewelry displays from the gift shop had some gorgeous, affordable pieces, too.

The staff was absolutely charming and professional. They made me feel appreciated as a guest. My room was super clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was very modern with HOT WATER!!!! Something I missed while staying elsewhere. I figured after a week and a half of budget accommodations, I could splurge on a nicer hotel and I'm glad I did. the room was very quiet, too, so I got a great night of sleep both nights.

I was given meal and drink vouchers. The food was really good, too! They also helped set up a Volcan Arenal tour with a visit to Tabacon Hot Springs. Listen to me when I tell you, take this tour! I was in awe with the beauty of the volcano and have never been anywhere so magical as the hot springs. It is a happy place I go to when having a crappy day.

I highly recommend staying at this lovely hotel! I will definitely stay here next time I'm in San Jose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rrenfro12
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our family of 4 spent 2 separate nights as we were traveling through San Jose. The location is in an older, historic part of the city. The decor is unique and interesting with many nooks to explore filled with interesting local art work. The staff were very friendly and helpful. You can exchange money at the going bank rate. The breakfast buffet was great with lots of choices. Our room was a family suite (2 rooms separated by a bath) on the 3rd floor. It was clean and comfortable although might be hard to access for anyone with mobility problems. If you have difficulty climbing stairs, you may want to ask for a ground floor room as there are no elevators available. Overall, a wonderful place in a bustling, noisy city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family