“Amazing find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a rather late review, but stayed here for a few nights in March when I went on a spring break trip with a few of my school mates. Wasn't expecting much but this hotel definitely exceeded expectations. Rooms were clean and big, courtyard was beautiful, surroundings were decorated nicely. It had a very homey feel. We stayed in different rooms on different days, and would definitely recommend the ground floor rooms as they are a lot bigger and you are right by a beautiful courtyard! Service was great, people were really friendly. They also offer really good rates compared to what we were able to get in the US or hotel, only thing is that if there are too many people, the amount that they are able to exchange is limited (we had 10 people) so do that early on in the trip!

Location was good, streets are quiet at night but if you are traveling with a few people there is really nothing to worry about.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room for the courtyard!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights either side of my trip around Costa Rica. The hotel is in a good location, close to the main square in a quite side street.

The staff seemed to be particularly cautious about guests leaving the hotel after dark, and reccommend that you take a taxi even if travelling only a few blocks. I did this on their reccomendation, but walked back and did not feel unsafe.

Room Tip: The wifi worked well in the ground floor room that I stayed in at the start of my trip, but was very...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
PORTLAND,OREGON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by saying I've stayed here many times over the last 15 yrs. the staff is wonderful and they have been there as long as I have. The person before me didn't eat at there restaurant. They don't know what they missed. I ate lunch there almost everyday! On my last day there was a line for lunch. They have daily specials that are great. I only had to wait 10 min. But it was was well worth the wait. I love the fact they have wifi. I could sit just outside my room on a comfy couch and keep in contact with my family.The staff would come by and ask if I needed anything!! The rooms are nice and clean. I enjoyed the short walk to downtown and still felt safe!! I love this town
They recommend new places for me to see, the Waterfall gardens,San Miguel a beach just past Jaco. I was there for two weeks. I would highly recommend this hotel.Oh they have a great gift shop I compared prices when I went downtown to the other gift shops and there prices were better on most items. When I left the airport had started a new security process they go thru EVERY item in your carry ons. It took me alone 15 mins! And I waited in line for 30 to 45 min. Next time I will check all my bags!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here before and after the C2C trip with Coast to Coast Adventures. Small, traditional hotel in a quiet part of town. We didn't eat in, apart from breakfast, choosing to eat at the recommended Cafe Mundo up the road (we recommend it too). Hotel staff were happy to show us the way & didn't seem offended.
Short walk to shops and the artisan's market, as well as the National Museum.
The only gripe was (like in many small traditional hotels)....the lack of a lift, so bit of a pain carrying 4 heavy kit bags.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed at several places in San Jose but always end up going back to Don Carlos. Rooms are spacious , clean and comfortable, staff are very helpful , interior is well decorated with Costa Rican art and the location is good for going to restaurants in the area without going too far in the dark. Don' t recommend walking around San Jose at night in any case.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from a trip to the rain forest, just for one night while we waited for our flight. It was a very unique layout, with little courtyards and fountains to walk through to get to each room. We were greeted with welcome beverages and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was very nice - a good size, clean and a nice bathroom. The hotel is within walking distance to a nice little town center with parks and places to sit, and there was a lovely shopping center nearby as well. We wished we had more time to stay here a few more nights!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had an excellent stay at this hotel. Good service, great restaurant with a wonderful waiter, a limited dinner menu but very good breakfast buffet, and a nice, clean room. The hotel is wonderfully decorated with many drawings and Costa Rican art. It is close to downtown but in a better neighborhood than other hotels we watched on our search in San Jose. All services we requested were completed in a timely manner by the hotel staff. Overall, we stayed there for 3 nights ($ 80 each night, superior room, low season, and with a rebate).

Room Tip: Take a look at the rooms before you take it. Some rooms have a nice view, and lots of light especial...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Fleur de Lys
Hotel Fleur de Lys
#19 of 86 in San Jose
4.0 of 5 stars 329 reviews

Been to Hotel Don Carlos? Share your experiences!