“Great vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
PORTLAND,OREGON
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by saying I've stayed here many times over the last 15 yrs. the staff is wonderful and they have been there as long as I have. The person before me didn't eat at there restaurant. They don't know what they missed. I ate lunch there almost everyday! On my last day there was a line for lunch. They have daily specials that are great. I only had to wait 10 min. But it was was well worth the wait. I love the fact they have wifi. I could sit just outside my room on a comfy couch and keep in contact with my family.The staff would come by and ask if I needed anything!! The rooms are nice and clean. I enjoyed the short walk to downtown and still felt safe!! I love this town
They recommend new places for me to see, the Waterfall gardens,San Miguel a beach just past Jaco. I was there for two weeks. I would highly recommend this hotel.Oh they have a great gift shop I compared prices when I went downtown to the other gift shops and there prices were better on most items. When I left the airport had started a new security process they go thru EVERY item in your carry ons. It took me alone 15 mins! And I waited in line for 30 to 45 min. Next time I will check all my bags!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here before and after the C2C trip with Coast to Coast Adventures. Small, traditional hotel in a quiet part of town. We didn't eat in, apart from breakfast, choosing to eat at the recommended Cafe Mundo up the road (we recommend it too). Hotel staff were happy to show us the way & didn't seem offended.
Short walk to shops and the artisan's market, as well as the National Museum.
The only gripe was (like in many small traditional hotels)....the lack of a lift, so bit of a pain carrying 4 heavy kit bags.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed at several places in San Jose but always end up going back to Don Carlos. Rooms are spacious , clean and comfortable, staff are very helpful , interior is well decorated with Costa Rican art and the location is good for going to restaurants in the area without going too far in the dark. Don' t recommend walking around San Jose at night in any case.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from a trip to the rain forest, just for one night while we waited for our flight. It was a very unique layout, with little courtyards and fountains to walk through to get to each room. We were greeted with welcome beverages and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was very nice - a good size, clean and a nice bathroom. The hotel is within walking distance to a nice little town center with parks and places to sit, and there was a lovely shopping center nearby as well. We wished we had more time to stay here a few more nights!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had an excellent stay at this hotel. Good service, great restaurant with a wonderful waiter, a limited dinner menu but very good breakfast buffet, and a nice, clean room. The hotel is wonderfully decorated with many drawings and Costa Rican art. It is close to downtown but in a better neighborhood than other hotels we watched on our search in San Jose. All services we requested were completed in a timely manner by the hotel staff. Overall, we stayed there for 3 nights ($ 80 each night, superior room, low season, and with a rebate).

Room Tip: Take a look at the rooms before you take it. Some rooms have a nice view, and lots of light especial...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I should preface this by stating that I haven't actually spent any time in San Jose OUTSIDE of the Don Carlos.

We booked our trip through Costa Rica Sun Tours, and they took care of making these arrangements for us, but I can absolutely say that we'd choose to stay here on another trip through San Jose. For anyone flying into San Jose before moving on to other parts of the country, the Hotel Don Carlos is a perfect stop-over hotel for the night you get in and the night before you leave. We stayed here after arriving in San Jose, and we stayed here again at the end of our vacation the night before we returned home.

The hotel is adorable and charming, and the staff is welcoming. Upon our first arrival here, we were given a free round of drinks to welcome us here. I believe that the tradition is a fruit punch o some sort, but we were offered a Guaro Sour and accepted it happily. Next, we ordered dinner and I tried my first Casado Tipico Comida, the typical Costa Rican dish of rice, beans, chicken (or another meat), and plantains (my favorite!). It was tasty, and a great introduction to Costa Rica.

We had an early bus the morning we left and would be departing before the included (complementary) breakfast started at 7am, so they had a breakfast box arranged for us so that we'd have some fruit and coffee on our way out. I think this was a really nice and courteous gesture.

As for a pool, they have one, technically, but it's more like a fountain that apparently you can wade in. I've never seen anyone in it, but it exists.

All in all, this is a great spot in San Jose that's the perfect place to crash when you get into Costa Rica, and the perfect place to unwind as you prepare to leave. I'd definitely come back here.

Room Tip: Rooms 4-9 are in the cute little courtyard area in the middle of the hotel, away from the registrati...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Let me start by saying Don Carlos still offers a clean and quaint atmosphere. I have stayed at the Don Carlos in the past and just loved it (you can read my past review). However, the friendliness has left the building. Ironically, there were several of the same staff members as last time I was there (a year ago) but they seem to be unhappy this time around. What was missing from before? Smiles, hospitality, and the feeling of being welcome. I never hesitated to praise Don Carlos in the past, today however, I am disappointed and today I would not recommend Don Carlos:(

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Don Carlos? Share your experiences!