“Love this funky little hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aranjuez Hotel

You added Aranjuez Hotel to your Saves list
Aranjuez Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 19, Avenida 11 & 13 | De la Iglesia Sta. Teresita, 200 mtrs. al norte, 200 mtrs. al oeste y 25 mtrs. al sur., San Jose 2070, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Florida
“Love this funky little hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Aranjuez Hotel is composed of several old Tico houses cobbled together into a rambling complex with interesting public spaces scattered here and there. The decor is charming and the staff friendly and helpful.

From the hotel it is an easy walk through several beautiful little parks to the part of downtown San Jose most popular with tourists. The Gold Museum is there and a pedestrian street with shops and cafes.

Ah, but the creme de la creme of the Aranjuez is the breakfast--which is included in the price of the room. In addition to a hot bar with rice and beans, other local dishes, and prepared-to-order eggs and pancakes, there is an incredible array of fruit, bread, pastries, and sweet and savory tidbits to suit every taste. All served in an atrium surrounded by lush jungle foliage.

I have stayed at the Aranjuez three times and will return at every opportunity.

Room Tip: restaurant is breakfast only, but there are good restaurants within walking distance. rooms vary co...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear guest: First of all, we wish to thank you for loyalty to our "tico" Hotel. We will continue working hard to provide the best hosting experience every time you visit us. Thanks for sharing with us and Trip Advisor users this stimulating comment. ¡Hasta la próxima!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The breakfast is delicious and the lunch room is really nice. The room are ok, there is a secure parking. Downtown can be accessed by walk 15-20min. The staff is friendly and helpful.
The quality/ price ratio is great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you for writing this review and for finding our bufffet breakfast "exceptional". We hope you give us the chance of having you as our guest in the near future. ¡Hasta pronto!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I highly recommend this quaint and very cozy inn. The staff is more than helpful. They're very friendly and really care about your feedback . This is also an Eco-friendly establishment that utilizes a lot of sunlight with their many rooftop windows and open air dining areas and lounges. Great fengshui! The breakfast buffet is amazingly good and varied. Free coffee and ice all day. Very clean. The area is safe and quiet. Staff is honest and they gave me a good rate for my dollars. A great bang for your buck. I've made it my definite choice for all my future trips to San Jose.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear guest: For all of us it is always very stimulating knowing that we reach the lodging expectations that you have had about Hotel Aranjuez. Be sure that we will keep working to improve our services and the facilities in all our rooms. It will be a pleasure to have you as our regular customer. You will be a perfect witness of the renovations we will implement during this 2014. ¡Hasta muy pronto!
Courtenay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is really a great place to stay, the staff are helpful, the breakfast is really the best you will ever have , they have everything covered, they have great little seating area's, walking distance to the main st shopping , the churches and the Theater National. Coffee is on hand and you will get free internet. The personal touch of the owner is all around you, art work , masks, the rooms are of different sizes from single passing through who does not mind sharing a bathroom, to the whole family room with kids beds with you... King bed, double beds, they have it all... Although you are in a busy city like San Jose, come the evening its very quiet. Its truly a Costa Rica experience. I have been there twice, my friend has been there three times and ready to book again later this year. Having our eggs cooked the way we want them and all the fresh fruit you will never have a breakfast that sets you up...
If you arrive from the airport it is a $30.00 ride,

Room Tip: If you go to the apartment's go to the higher level ones...This hotel is many Tico homes being b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear guest: Thank you very much for this enthusiastic review about Hotel & Apartamentos Arajuez. We got a very nice feeling of an accomplished work. We will go on for achieving our compromise of improving each day the quality of all our services. Providing a warm stay to all those who choose Hotel Aranjuez is our most important wish. ¡Hasta muy pronto!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is very pleasant, quiet and central, with good, attentive staff and a truly excellent breakfast buffet in a delightful tropical garden. There are similar tropical gardens between the houses that are joined to form the hotel.
I stayed both in a standard room and a superior one, with a very modern washbasin and shower ( lovely hot water)and wifi. The signal didn't reach the room I had first, but there are computers for the use of guests so it was no problem. The only caveat I have is that the windows in the superior room at the front did not open, whereas there was at least a bathroom window to let some air circulate in the standard room. It wasn't hot, quite chilly at night, so I am not talking about AC, just fresh air! The rooms are not very light, just because they are the inside rooms of houses, but the hotel is a very good place to stay on arrival in San Jose.
I both sent an e mail & called to book just a couple of days before I needed the room ( I was elsewhere in CR ) & although I was told on the telephone that the hotel was full and to try the next day, shortly after an e mail arrived asking me for my credit card details to make a booking. The receipt of this then has to be confirmed by the hotel to secure the room. When I wanted a room on the second occasion I was at first told as before that there was nothing, but that a check would be made, to ask after breakfast, & indeed a room became available, so if you have the same experience & really want to stay in this charming, special place, keep trying!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest: Thank you so much for sharing with us and Trip Advisor users your lodging experience at Hotel Aranjuez. We are always looking for providing our guest a peaceful and welcoming stay. During High Season, we invite our guest to check with Reservations the room’s availability. We are constantly checking if there are last minute cancellations in order to accommodate the requests of the waiting list. For this reason, we much appreciate your advice to future customers in this subject. Once again thank you for enjoying our “autochthonous and non-traditional” hotel. ¡Hasta pronto!
Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Hotel Aranjuez is located just outside the central district of San Jose. It's in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood, offers comfortable rooms of various sizes-and the best breakfast buffet in SJO, by far! Fresh fruits and pastries, an excellent selection of CR specialties, and omelets to order. Reasonably priced, clean and well-run, I heartily recommend the Hotel Aranjuez.
Scott, from Blairsville, GA

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the street and breakfast area
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Scott: It is always a pleasure knowing that you have enjoyed our buffet breakfast. We believe that a charming and luxurious breakfast it is the best way of welcoming our customers. For this reason, we offer by free this important service. We dedicate a lot of efforts in making the breakfast a unique experience. Four people are working full day for achieving this purple. We hope you can stay with us in the near future. ¡Hasta entonces!
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my first trip out of the country and my first time in San Jose. I carefully researched my lodging options and am happy I decided on the Aranjuez for my first night. I had a room that opened onto the patio area and it was so pretty! There are trees, flowers, and cool looking plants all over the place. You can hear birds chirping like crazy, too. But not in an annoying way. I loved it here. It was VERY affordable, too!

I left really early in the morning on a shuttle to Tortuguero, so I didn't get a chance to eat their breakfast but from what I hear it is really good. I'd love to come back and stay more than one night and see for myself.

My room was clean, had a safe, TV, and a nice clean bathroom. The bed was huge, too! I sprawled out and slept like a baby. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I felt very safe as a solo female traveler (though the outside area can be a bit sketchy, especially at night).

It was a sweet, peaceful stay and I will definitely come back when I'm in San Jose again.

Thank you for a wonderful stay, Hotel Aranjuez!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest : For all of us is a enormous pleasure to know that we have provide you a “wonderful stay”. We much enjoy reading the detailed description that you have made of our hotel. Thank you for valuing our effort and we want to let you know that we’re always making our best to please our guests and to give them the best experience. We hope next time you taste our breakfast. ¡Muchas gracias!

Been to Aranjuez Hotel? Share your experiences!