“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aranjuez Hotel

You added Aranjuez Hotel to your Saves list
Aranjuez Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 19, Avenida 11 & 13 | De la Iglesia Sta. Teresita, 200 mtrs. al norte, 200 mtrs. al oeste y 25 mtrs. al sur., San Jose 2070, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
New York City, New York
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I absolutely loved this place. It is completely worth the money. The breakfast is incredible! The rooms are clean. Because the place has been around for a while, the walls are a bit creaky. It can get a little noisy, but it didn't bother me very much. It's cute, cozy, quaint, and beautiful. I love the art work and the gardens. The staff was professional, kind, and extremely helpful. I would highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear guest: We much appreciate your commentary. We are so proud that you have enjoyed the ambience of the costarrican houses that made up the Hotel Aranjuez. Your review has been a very special gift for all our staff. They are proud that there job has been appreciated in the special way that you did. We hope you will visit us in the near future. We wish you a very happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I came to Costa Rica for surgery and stayed at a "recovery spa" for 3 days...just long enough to be on my own. It was stuck out in the burbs, on top of a hill, with nothing around.

I transfered to Aranjuez and was instantly transported to a peaceful space surrounded by trees, orchids, tropical plants, and ooodles of places to sit, recline, swing and enjoy being outdoors. It is not in the center of town but for those who like to walk (I do), it is an easy stroll to a supermarket, restaurants, and shopping,. Taxi rides are inexpensive. My physician encouraged me to walk to get down the swelling and this location was just right to encourage my forays into town.

I saw on their site where the rooms were recently "sound proofed." Could not have included room 31 since everything my neighbors said echoed in my room. However, the clientele was generally peaceful the week of Christmas and most guests seem to stay only 1 or 2 nights. I was here for 6.

Wifi reception is good but definitely slow. No way to watch Netflix but streaming radio was no problem. Everyone knows the food is phenomenal here. I enjoyed the adventure of just seeing how many hideaways I could locate in this rambling network of old houses converted into a hotel.

For a person who is here to recover, nothing could have been nicer. The staff are universally pleasant and accommodating. They even found me a wine opener when I realized I'd not brought my own, Art is tastefully and subtly arranged around the many gardens and worthy of a closer look. I'm dying to know where those pottery serving pedastals come from. This is the second time I've run across them in CR and they must be local.

The only thing that kept this from being a top rated experience was the allergic reaction I had to the bedding. After the first night of an asthma spell, I almost returned to the retreat. One look at breakfast killed that idea. I am highly allergic to dust motes and I fear they rarely wash the covers and decorative pillows. Once those were thrown on the ground I did much better, but still suffered.

Room Tip: The rooms are arranged in pods, according to the home and garden. Some rooms have no garden at all t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear guest: First we must thank you for taking your time to share with us and Trip Advisor users your lodging experience at Hotel & Apartments Aranjuez. We are glad that you have found in our Hotel a “peaceful space” and our staff “universally pleasant and accommodating”. Due to our environmentally friendly policies, during long stays we only change the covers and decorative pillows every two days. But customers with allergic problems like you can apply the daily change without extra charges. Due to high humidity in Costa Rica, our allergic clients may request to our maid service the daily use of the machine that absorbs moisture during the cleaning process of the room. Once again thank you for this review that allows us to take appropriate policies for improving our services. Thank you for the nice pictures. We hope you visit us in the near future. We wish you the best during the 2014.
Dawson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Loved this place, a bit of a maze to find your room. You must try the Tico Soda 1 1/2 blocks up ( I think its called Donj D) on the corner its run by a really sweet family that give great service, large meals with a fresh fruit juice for $5 and its clean. The breakfast at the hotel was Fabulous, good idea to make a reservation as they get busy!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Amber: We just happy reading that you have found “perfect” your lodging experience at Hotel Aranjuez. For us is a joy to know that you “love” our place and that you have enjoyed the friendly of the costarrican families running the “sodas” nearby. We hope you repeat your lodging experience with us in the near future. ¡Feliz Navidad!
Canton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my second stay at Aranjuez. My group was staying here and I was happy to recognize the name from a prior trip in 2008 when I booked. My room was $40 USD. It was spacious and had a large shower. It's a bit far from the airport - around $30 USD - but is a great jumping off points for adventures. One of the neighborhoods you drive through to get there is a bit sketchy - homeless people sleeping on the street and hookers on the corner, but the hotel seems very secure and the front desk staff is always there. The breakfast buffet is amazing - omelet station, fresh fruit, numerous pastries. It can be a bit noisy but I think that's par for the course in Costa Rica - lots of barking dogs and roosters. I would still highly recommend it especially if you want a more unique hotel experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear TaraCanton : Thank you so much for taking time for writing this review and recommending us. It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the “autochthonous” lodging experience that we offer. The breakfast, included in our room rate, constitutes an esential part for showing our hospitality. About our location, we must mention that we are located near downtown San José, our capital. The Airport is located in another city, 22 kms away. We hope to have you us our guest for third time very soon. ¡Feliz Navidad!
Penticton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise providing historic charm, informative & helpful staff and the most wonderful breakfast. The reviews are absolutely correct. I felt safe with security cameras keeping track of the on-goings. An internet connection was available all through the hotel, whether in your room or outside in the comfortable patios.
The only complaint I would have is that the walls are paper-thin so bring ear plugs. But I experienced this in other hotels in San Jose and Costa Rica.
This hotel is definitely good value for money spent. I hope to return again.

Room Tip: My room was close to the Breakfast Room. The walls were very thin. So bring earplugs. The best break...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest: We are always working for providing our customers a secure and charming stay in our Hotel. Thank you so much for letting us to know that you felt welcoming and attended during the time you spent with us. We will keep working hard for solving any detail that can disturb the lodging experience at Hotel Aranjuez. We also hope you will be able to return to Costa Rica and our hotel once again. ¡Feliz Navidad!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We appreciated the helpfulness of the front desk staff to provide directions, restaurant recommendations, etc. Hotel Aranjuez was a great staging point for our onward journey to the CR caribbean coast.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Ron: Our staff is always concern about providing the most hospitality and helpful service. They are very happy of knowing that they provide you the service that you merit. Thank you for been our guest and for sharing your experience at Hotel Aranjuez with Trip Advisor users. ¡Feliz Navidad!
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Awesome place to stay and AWESOME breakfast :) it's a bit far from the airport but by taxi should run you about $33 USD or so. The garden is gorgeous. The rooms have nice, big showers and safes if you want to put your things up when you head out for the day. Real friendly staff too. Everything you need for your time in San Jose.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Suzeroos: Thank you for your enthusiastic commentary about your lodging experience at Hotel Aranjuez . Our garden is a traditional “patio” with mango and “cas” trees and exotic plants as “bromelias” and “platanillas”. We have joined the original patios of the houses that made up the Hotel Aranjuez. We are hoping to receive you us our guest in the very near future. ¡Feliz Navidad!

Been to Aranjuez Hotel? Share your experiences!