“Little jungle garden in the middle of San Jose” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aranjuez Hotel

You added Aranjuez Hotel to your Saves list
Aranjuez Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 19, Avenida 11 & 13 | De la Iglesia Sta. Teresita, 200 mtrs. al norte, 200 mtrs. al oeste y 25 mtrs. al sur., San Jose 2070, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new york, NY
“Little jungle garden in the middle of San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Aranjuez for about 4 nights and enjoyed this place. It's location in a residential neighborhood a short walk to the historical city sites and away from noisy downtown, made it a great place. The hotel's building is actually 3 old houses connected by small gardens and covered patios, it had many nooks and crannies to explore. The best part of the hotel was the breakfast, it was delicious and changed every day, with a great variety of pastries and breads, fruits, salads, eggs made to order
and usually 2 side dishes to go with it. The patio breakfast was lovely placed in a jungle/garden that for as long you were there, made you forget that you were in San Jose.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
costa rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

best value in San Jose. the rooms have all you need, each one is different, some nicer or bigger than others, but they all work. the staff is great, and always helpful. the breakfast is really good, free, and pretty. I have been staying there for years now. The location is safe and quiet. there are a few restaurants and stores nearby. Tico food, or the fashionable Cafe Mundo is a 10 minute walk or short cab ride.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

If you are not staying for at least a whole full day in San Jose, I would recommend to get an accomodation near the airport. I agree with some of the posters here that the hotel looked tired boarderline dingy. I felt like our room was not competely cleaned. The trash can in the bathroom was not emptied out from the previous guest. I don't mind the Front Desk not being friendly but he was not very helpful. When I asked him how much will it cost for a cab to the airport, he just said, "$25.00" and that was it. I thought that was pretty stiff. He did not offer any alternative. We asked if we could take a bus. He gave us a map showed us where to grab the bus. He just circled the bus station and he was done explaining. My husband and I ventured out and walked around the neighborhood and thought it was pretty interesting. The locals we ran into on the streets were alot more helpful than they were. Told us where to grab the bus and where to get off. When we got off the first bus, we asked again where the bus to the airport and the lady even walked us to the corner and pointed where it was at. It only cost the two of us together less than $2. for 2 bus rides. The buses leaves every 5 minutes and it's pretty safe and comfortable.

Oh, right next to the bus station is a Nicaraguan restaurant. The food was the best I've had in CR . The soup was awesome.

Regarding the breakfast everyone was raving about, we thought was just ok. There were alot of food but that was about it. Lots of food. The food service was excellent. They were very attentive. The garden was awesome. I enjoyed that one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
sjara, Owner at Aranjuez Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are taking care of the problems pointed out by you. In any case, we have to mention that all the information about taxis is included in our website. If you ever decide to come back to Hotel Aranjuez, you can request to stay in the modern section -Apartamentos Aranjuez-, and not in the autentic costarican section.
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

My mom & I stayed here for 1 night at the beginning of our trip. It was only $45 and included a delicious Costa Rican breakfast buffet. It was very quaint with high ceilings and hardwood floors and a pretty courtyard. It was on a quiet street, and a good location. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed in San Jose for 5 nights and enjoyed every minute that I was at Hotel Aranjuez. The staff were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable, the breakfast was amazing, and the rooms were well worth the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Aranjuez last year and enjoy it so much that we decided to stay there again this year! The hotel staff is very nice and infomative. The rooms are a nice size and are very clean. The best part, in my opinion, is the amazing spread of food they have each morning for breakfast. There are plenty of fresh fruits, delicious pastries, and omeletes made to order.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

This was the Tico experience I was hoping to find! It is a series of old Costa Rican homes, connected fluidly in a beautiful array of corridors and tropical courtyards. I was impressed with the friendly staff, the super clean linens (air dried... don't expect soft towels!) and homey atmosphere. It offered all I needed and then some... coffee in the "lobby", ice, etc, and the most unbelievable breakfast buffet in a tropical courtyard with very attentive staff. A truly amazing deal for the price. Located in a nice, convenient neighborhood. Not for those who prefer the unimaginative Holiday Inns or Radisons but certainly for those who like clean, welcoming, unique, charming environs. Only downfall is that my bed was not super soft, but certainly clean and comfy. Ask to see a few rooms if there are choices, as some are located on the courtyards, some by the street, some in quiet halls, and all have a different configuration.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few choices, as the rooms vary