“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
You added Hotel La Amistad to your Saves list
Calle 15 Avenida 11, San Jose 1864-1002, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Prospect Heights, Illinois
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

November 14-15,2009 - Pleasantly surprise - the hotel was an excellent choice - Clean rooms, polite and helpful staff - lobby decor - well done. Unique layout of the hotel. Very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Hotel La Amistad offers amazingly affordable rooms and the staff is very responsive by email and very helpful. They are equally gracious onsite. We stayed there for our first and last night in Costa Rica.

The pros of this hotel are mostly those - the rate and the responsive staff. You can't beat the deal if all you need is a quick/easy place to stay. Also, we had one of the best meals of our vacation when we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. i was amazed at the quality of the food, the presentation, and the service. Really a terrific surprise. And the martini bar (and selection) is also great. The property was recently redone so many things are in really good shape - the lobby/restaurant/bar area , while small, is very attractive. They offer free inroom wired/wireless internet access, as well as a few computers in a common area that can be used. The rooms are small but clean and the bathrooms, while also small, have great tiled showers. Overall the feel is equivalent to a local european hotel in terms of size.

The negatives are the poor quality of linens/towels/amenities etc... The bedding and towels on both of our stays were stained, thin, and a bit threadbare. Upgrading those would make a big difference in the guest experience. There was a roach in our room one night - but in a city that's not so horrifying to me. I would equate the lobby/common areas in the hotel to a lovely family-run boutique, and the guest rooms to a european version of a Days Inn.

One should also be aware that this is a city hotel. You will pass through neighborhoods on the way that may make some folks feel uncomfortable, and you will see a steady stream of clientele taking advantage of the entirely legal profession of prostitution in Costa Rica. I'm not saying La Amistad is seedy or a brothel or anything alarming - but I wouldn't take a nervous traveller there, or someone who is particularly uptight. The guests feel mostly like experienced travellers on business or something other than tourism.

Overall I would recommend the hotel to flexible, experienced travellers who need a place convenient to San Jose, or who are looking for a great deal for a quick stay on their way to/from somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

We chose to stay in this hotel because it was such a great price. We were only staying one night in San Jose because we had an early bus to catch. Upon arriving, the check in agent, Rudy, upgraded us to a suite room. The room was very large. It had a kitchenette and jacuzzi. We had no problems with the room at all, although the showers are pretty low flow. We also ate at the restaurant and it was awesome food. All in all, it's a small hotel, but it's staff are great and friendly. And to all the reviews that complain about the prostitution -- you are in a different country, not everything will be as it is at home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
La Canada Flintridge, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

The hotel gives a feeling of a old house converted into many small rooms with bath. My confirmed reservation of queen size bed was denied upon my checkin and was instead given a room with no windows.. This was the beginning of many dissapointments. The area looked like ghetto and dangerous to walk. Behind the hotel is a train track and at night train woke me up many times. The bed was too soft for me, and I found some large size cockroaches in the bath room. The bathroom smelled bad even after using exhaust fan.

My food bill was inflated, and food bought by previous resident of my room was charged to me. Upon complaint after I returned home, the overcharged amount was not refunded. Room bill was also inflated, and the hotel refused to resolve the problem. Your credit card might be abused by the hotel. Not a good feeling when you return home.

All in all a bad experience, and will never stay there again

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Mkink, owner at Hotel La Amistad, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Over a two month period this customer booked, cancelled, rebooked and then complained. This process took 26 emails to book a five day stay.

1. After booking and confirming the original reservation he continued to try to renegotiate the prices. After numerous attempts he cancelled the reservation.
2. He rebooked the reservation after the cancellation. Likewise, he tried to renegotiate the rates after confirmation.
3. His reservation was not denied. He was offered and accepted a free upgrade from a queen to king size room.
4. His questions about pricing were brought to our attention on a Sunday evening. There was a $14.50 discrepancy on a $500 bill.
5. We immediately acknowledged the problem and offered a credit.
6. The customer sent us an email stating ¨My stay at La Amistad was great¨ including seven other positive points about the hotel.
7. The credit was not applied to his account on the Monday, less than 24 hours after his checkout.
8. The negative review was posted.
9. As of December 11, we do not have an address to send the refund.

Unfornutately we occasionally have customers who use TA to work discounts. He left us a letter upon checkout on what a great stay he had. We were shocked to see this review.

Matt
Owner
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

This hotel was great! We stayed here for a couple nights as the first leg of our trip. Each room is unique in its own right and all the rooms have a jacuzzi and / or sauna. The staff was extremely friendly and they went above and beyond. They suggested places to dine and vist while we were there and offered to make all the necessary arrangements for us. The free made to order breakfast was wonderful and the free laundry service was an added bonus! You receive a lot of perks and amenities for a great price. We definitely would stay there again...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Guanacaste
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

This hotel was kind enough to upgrade me to a room with a jacuzzi spa. However it shocked me (literlally). I did not recieve an apology nor a glass of wine or a comped dinner for my frazzled system as I have medical issues. I understand these things happen. However being in the business of tourism this was absolutly outrageous to me that they were so non chalant about the whole thing, I could have died, water and electricity does not mix. Finally I fell asleep and everytime I could get to sleep the train near by awoke me in the most shocking manner. I will not be staying in that room or possibly in this hotel unless they can promise these things can be fixed. Pura Vida y suerte La Amistad.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Mkink, Owner at Hotel La Amistad, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Response from Matt Owner

This guest came from another Hotel as she had missed her plane. She is associated with a Hotel in Guanacaste. She blamed the Airline as she stated that she was there 15 minutes prior to departure (you need one hour for domestic flight as stated on the ticket). She proceeded to call the Hotel which she had stayed the night before, they could not accommodate her and recommended us. She arrived and had no way to pay the taxi; we paid the taxi for her both ways and added it to the room. Needless to say the guest was agitated upon entering the Hotel. We discounted the room as a professional courtesy to the other Hotel as they were lower priced than us and we upgraded her to a larger room. We had the Jacuzzi checked and a light in the Jacuzzi had a loose cover. The light is a 12 volt low voltage wire (same as a doorbell current), the guest mentioned it in passing and never made an issue out of it at that time. It was fixed the following morning. The train runs in the morning from 5:30 AM to 8:30 AM and again 5:30 PM to 8:00PM as it is a commuter train. We pay traffic guards in the morning to eliminate the noise. The guest must have gone to bed prior to 8 PM. We are sorry that we did not meet this guest’s expectation.
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

A friend and I stopped at La Amistad twice during our trip to Costa Rice - one night upon arrival and the last night before we returned to the US. During both stays, we had excellent service from the waitstaff, bartender, and front desk. Everyone was friendly and courteous. The owner was entertaining during our last breakfast, and Cesar was wonderfully attentive during both our evening meals. The meals themselves were fine at very reasonable prices (although most of our bill could be attributed to the fabulous drinks, in all honesty).

I stayed in 211 both nights, and I'd say the room was plenty big enough for most travelers. The beds are entirely too comfortable for words. I have never stayed in a US hotel with Tempurpedic mattresses, but La Amistad offers them in every room. So comfortable after a long trip in more rustic settings. Yup, the frames are painful - there's a good chance you'll strike your shin/knee against the edge. Even so, I think a bruise is well worth such restful sleep. Oh, and the showers were fantastic with excellent water pressure. There is a train that often passes by the hotel, but the room I was in was very quiet and far enough removed from that side of the hotel. It never disturbed us.

A note about prostitution: A hotel can't stop its clients from participating in a legal service. Aside from one (perhaps) questionably-dressed lady on our first evening, we never observed anything rude, vulgar, or offending within the common areas of the hotel. I've seen worse behavior and fashion in night clubs in the US. Basically, if the idea of legalized prostitution doesn't offend you, neither will the patrons of Hotel La Amistad.

Overall, we had a great experience at La Amistad. The surrounding area didn't look great, so I gave "location" and average rating, but honestly we never explored it. We were tired and wanted a comfortable, affordable, and friendly place to stop in San Jose. That's exactly what La Amistad offered, and I really can't find much to complain about.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Amistad? Share your experiences!