“A Nice hideaway in San Jose” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kekoldi Hotel

You added Kekoldi Hotel to your Saves list
Kekoldi Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 9, between Calle 5 and 7, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
NYC
“A Nice hideaway in San Jose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed at Kekoldi for one night when we first arrived in San Jose. It was a good jumping off point for us. I don't know if the neighborhood is safe or not, but the front desk has to buzz you in...so the door is locked at all times. We walked about 10 minutes to a local restaurant for dinner. I can't say I felt entirely comfortable walking around San Jose...but that's not really a reflection of Kekoldi.

We found the staff to be friendly. Our room was comfortable, clean, and spacious. As many other reviewers pointed out, there is a nice garden off the reception area. Personally, I would not really want to spend a lot of time in the San Jose area, but if you are looking for a place for a night or two, this place is perfect. It's within walking distance of a few restaurants and Avenida Central. They can also arrange a pick up from the airport if you are arriving into San jose.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

This hotel is located in a very dangerous part of San Jose
and the price is not worth it. The worst part is what happened to me.

I checked in to the Hotel on a friday night and as any good gay turist visiting a new city I went out to a club. When i came back at 1:30 am the doors were locked (I knew they would be) but the attendant was noweher to be found. I screamed for about 30 min for someone to let me in, I even knocked on some of the guest's windows but nobody responded. A fewminutes later a young guy , very scary looking guycame to me and started asking me for money. And he wanted more and more money. I had to run and check into a different hotel ( Holiday in not too far from there, nice, secure and well led).
The next morning (Saturday) I went to the lobby and complained with the attendant and asked to speak to Edgar (German owner, rude and greedy) The attendant told me that the owner could not be "bothered" on weekends. Needless to say I picked up my belongings and walked out refusing to pay. I later found out that Edgar had charged me for the night anywayz. American express was nice enough to credit me the amount they charged me.

I have traveled all over the world. and I have never experienced something so terrible. Please travelers be careful and do not stay at any of the Kekoldi hotels, they are not worth it.

Stayed December 2007
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

I am a travel agent in San Jose on business and have been staying in Hotel Kekoldi this past week. I am extremely pleased with the quality and value of this guesthouse or bed and breakfast or whatever you want to call it. It´s a converted Art Deco residence and serves breakfast, so that makes it a B&B I suppose but it´s also full service for tourists who want to use it as a jumping off place for trips to the beach, mountains, rivers, volcanoes, etc. The staff is extremely friendly and speak good English. Although it´s considered gay-friendly, I didn´t see any other gay tourists while I was here, and certainly no sign of any transexuals in the streets! Although it´s not a business hotel, the staff has been taking messages and answering calls for me as if it were my own personal office. There is quite an interesting mix of guests, who sort of get to know each other sitting outside in the patio (when it´s not raining). The night I arrived there was a (very informal) jam session with a couple guitars, violins and singing. I enjoy that much more than saying hello to strangers while passing in the hallway. The rooms feature telephones -- essential for me -- and cable TV with at least a dozen channels in English. My room faced the street but I didn´t notice any street noise during the evening. There is also a computer set up for general use, and WIFI connection (haven´t tested it yet). They run internet specials from time to time so check out the website. The location is excellent - Barrio Amon is apparently a well established artistic center, with art galleries on every block it seems. It is within easy walking distance of El Centro and all the sights. The neighborhood is considered to be relatively safe. I´ve been coming to CR for 20 years now. It´s sad to see the Plaza Cultura surrounded by Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Subway, etc. They also have hotels in Manuel Antonio, on the Pacific Coast, and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, as well as in Granada, Nicaragua, an up and coming resort. Altogether a pleasant stay and the best value for the money in this city.

• Liked — friendliness of the staff, excellent locations, reasonable cost
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

I went to Hotel Kekoldi for my honeymoon. We arrived around 8 am because we took a red eye from LAX. When we arrived, we were told by the manager, Nabil, that the room was not ready. He offered to take our bags and put them in storage while we had some breakfast on the house. So we left our 4 bags in the small lobby which also doubles as the buffet area for breakfast, and went into the courtyard. Nabil offered to get some eggs for me. We sat there in the courtyard adjacent to the lobby for the next 2 hours waiting for our room. Nabil never came back with my eggs.

After a couple hours, Nabil told us the room was finally ready. My husband went to claim our luggage and my backpack was missing. He looked everywhere in the storage closet and it was no where to be found. Nabil told my husband he didn't see the blue backpack and offered my husband someone else's green backpack. We quickly realized that the manager was not going to help us or take any responsibility. We told him we wanted to call our credit card company to cancel my credit card. He told us that the line for international calls wasn't working and would not provide the necessary calling codes that would have helped us dial out from our room.

The strange part of having my backpack stolen from the hotel lobby was that there was only one entrance and the entrance is secured. The hotel manager has to buzz people in and out of the building. So whoever the thief was that left with my backpack was let out by the manager.

When I finally was able to call American Express in the afternoon, my card had been charged USD$300 at a nearby shoe store. The purchase was made that same morning. My husband and I suspect that the manager, Nabil, allowed someone he knew to take my backpack with my credit card and other valuables while we were waiting in the courtyard. He was less than cooperative in helping us call our credit card company. When we questioned Nabil about the backpack he tried to push the blame onto the taxi driver and said that we probably left the backpack in the taxi. I know that I had the backpack in the hotel lobby because I remember opening it up to get something out of it.

This was the worst way to start our honeymoon and I regret to this day selecting Hotel Kekoldi for our first night in San Jose. We missed a tour that we'd scheduled for the next day and instead spent it at the American Consulate getting a new passport for me. I lost my driver's license, passport, camera, and credit card. This was by far my worst travel experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dishonest staff. Poor customer service.
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We spent 2 nights in this hotel, the room was clean and spacious. The hotel is located nearby several good restaurants (eg Cafe el Mundo).
They have a nice little interior garden where the breakfast is served.
They offer free AND high speed internet.
The rooms are not equipped with A/C, but it was not that bad as the night are rather cool (they do have a ceiling fan...).
Even though I reserved online with my credit card and the price was indicated was in USD, they ended up charging my credit card in Colones ; make sure you ask them what exchange rate they will give you as you are almost always better off paying cash.
However, this is more than common practice in the country...
We arrived early in the afternoon and took an excursion the next day. Spending half a day was more than enough as there's not much to do in the capital. It's however a hub for going anywhere (or in and out ) of the country which explains us staying there.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lisse, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

We found this gay hotel very nice. It is designed like a home with its garden, stairs and spacious rooms. We stayed two nights there; on our first night and our last night in Costa Rica. The first night we got a room facing the street. There was street noise during the day, but the streets are rather quiet during the night; it did not bother us. You can eat your breakfast in the small garden. You have to ask for scrambled eggs, but there is plenty of fruit, juice and bread.
The area is nice with big old houses, a lot of them converted into hotels. Near the sauna Paris, not recognisable, but it is on the corner near the park. Only 10 minute walk to the city center and the museums. On our last night we had a car with us and they offered to park it in one of their two garages for free. Quiet, but helpful staff.

Stayed January 2007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

My partner and I were very pleased with our stay here. A healthy complimentary breakfast was provided every morning which could be enjoyed in the hotel's beautiful, quiet, garden. The city is relatively small and there are not very many monuments or cultural sites to visit but we were within walking distance of practically all of them. Our room was very large, spotlessly clean (my partner is a clean-freak and he gave all the surfaces a tissue-paper test as soon as he waled in the door) and we had our own television with remote. We were on the street-side of the hotel but the noise was not bad at all. Complimentary coffee was available in the evenings and the staff were friendly and chatty. Cesar, our hard-working and efficient host, arranged our pick up from SJO, helped us with all our daily arrangements (places to visit, restaurants, things to do, etc.) and took the time to chat with us in the evenings. As we were leaving the hotel to return to Los Angeles, he presented us with a complimentary bottle of wine as a "Thank you from the hotel". That's the first time any hotel has ever done that for us. Talk about a class act!

Stayed December 2006

Been to Kekoldi Hotel? Share your experiences!