“Deserves its high rating” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Save Saved
You added Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose to your Saves list
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 30, between avenida 2 y 4, San Jose 1007, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
Direct Booking Offer!!
Ranked #1 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Poway, CA
“Deserves its high rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A beautiful, classic hotel, that will make you feel very civilized in a city that frankly can't live up to this hotel's high standards. The staff is super-friendly and helpful. The rooms are spotless and well appointed. Parking is under constant guard. To be honest, I don't care for San Jose, but Hotel Grano de Oro is an oasis, and compares well to other classic hotels around the world.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,037 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Grano de Oro at the beginning and end of our Costa Rica trip. The room had a open air sunroom with a water feature that was a nice touch. The staff was extremely service oriented. We needed to store luggage and they kept it safe for the week until we returned. We had both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant, and both were very good. The pancakes were wonderful. We will definitely return!

Stayed June 2013
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I spent 2 nights at Grano de Oro. The first night I arrived before heading to the beach area in Costa Rica. San Jose isn't the most lovely area, but Grano de Oro was a nice retreat. Check-in was efficient. The first room I had was a double room to the right of reception and down a hall past a fountain. It opened into the courtyard. I appreciate unique features, so the courtyard was appealing to me. However, the room was basic, but comfortable. The bathroom was completely basic, but hot water was not an issue. Wifi was a nice touch too.

On the return from our vacation, our flight was cancelled and we chose to stay back at this hotel. We stayed in an upgraded room on a higher floor overlooking the restaurant. Again, the hotel is beautiful and has such unique architecture. The room was comfortable. The bed was fine and the bathroom was much brighter and had more water pressure. Also a newer tub/shower. We enjoyed room service and also the meals in the courtyard restaurant were just fine. The area around this hotel is not pretty by any means, but the courtyard areas within the hotel make it more of a retreat.

Staff were friendly. I will not hesitate to stay at this hotel the next time I am in San Jose. It is also convenient to the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night before heading out to the Pacuare River and thought the hotel was very nice. The room was very big and we loved the wood finish on the floors and ceiling. It ended up being one of the nicer rooms and hotels that we stayed in during our 2 week trip to Costa Rica. We also ate dinner downstairs and the food was excellent. We would come back here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

For me, the magic of Costa Rica happens when you leave the capital and explore this amazing country. There are times when I have little other choice and need to stay in San Jose, when I do, Grano de Oro is my favorite. I have stayed in a couple of Marriott Hotels in San Jose and found them a bit too commercial and boring. Grano de Oro has great character do to it's history of being a Victorian mansion in the early 1900s. The amazing gardens and fountains quickly make you forget you're in a city. But one of the most important factors to consider is the quality of the rooms.

I stayed in a deluxe room that contained two queen size beds. They had very good quality pillow topped mattresses and very comfortable sheets. The pitched roof and trimming in the room was a nice change from the typically boxy commercial rooms found in chain hotels. Overall the size was fine for the three of us staying there. For about $200/night it wasn't too bad of a deal for th quality.

I also ate at the restaurant a couple of times and found it to be quite good. Nothing blew my mind away but my meals there were some of my favorite I had in Costa RIca. The wait staff were also very quick with their service. It's not bargain prices, $100+ for two people, but the average person will leave full and satisfied.

Hotel Grano de Oro is certainly my top choice when staying in San Jose. One criticism I have for the hotel is the poor WIFI. It's nice to have free internet, but only if it works. Three of us were constantly struggling to get a good signal. A few times we had to go to the lobby for service. Additionally, the staff could be a bit more friendly, energetic and engaged with the staff. You have the comfort to make you feel like you're in a home, you should have staff that make you feel like you're family. But overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Book ahead as early as possible if you want a particular room because they can go fast. I contacted...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here initially as a one-night 'unavoidable' due to a late arrival from a long flight. The service and experience was so good I booked two further stays. One was an emergency stay after a flight cancellation where I just turned up; the reception staff immediately recognized me even though I had no booking and had only stayed with them for a few hours more than a week earlier. They pourede a drink, found me a room, upgraded it for free due to my flight disappointment and generally behaved like long-lost friends. Impressive. I have booked three more nights here at the end of my Costa Rica trip. Even though San Jose isn't much to write home about, this hotel makes it worthwhile.
Others have written well about the incredible restaurant, perfect service, great rooms and beautiful decor. Put simply, this hotel 'gets' service and style like few others I have stayed in. A true gem.

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you're flying in or out of San Jose for your Costa Rica experience, this hotel ca be a great start or finale to your visit. Converted from a turn-of-the-centry mansion, this high-service, high-value property has 40 rooms, great guest amenities, a staff that never stops trying to please you, and a restaurant that will please everyone (even kids). Try the pancakes for breakfast--they're like having cake for breakfast ;-) Grano de Oro is one of several luxury and eco-friendly hotels in the country. They have their own water purification system, so there's no need to ask for bottled water. Their welcome experience is, well, I don't want to spoil the surprise, one of the best I've ever experienced--even at hotels costing 2-3 times as much. That's saying something as my professional work is all about the customer experience!

Room Tip: Every room is unique and has its own advantages. Most rooms face a glass-covered tropical courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose? Share your experiences!