“Clean, comfortable, and great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Presidente

You added Hotel Presidente to your Saves list
Hotel Presidente
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Avenue Blvd | 7th Street, San Jose 2922-1000, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Grecia, Costa Rica
“Clean, comfortable, and great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times when in San Jose. The rooms are modern, clean, and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is outstanding as is lunch and dinner. The new dining room/bar is lovely and comfortable. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is within walking distance of museums, parks and restaurants and they have very good security. Taxis are plenty around if you want to go anywhere else in the city. The hotel also offers airport shuttles.

Room Tip: Upper floors are best for quieter stay. Overlooking the promenade is interesting for people watchin...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

I had the pleasure of spending my first night of our honeymoon at the Presidente. In the past, I had put my clients in the hotel but had never stayed there myself. Let me say, my experience was great. Excellent front desk service. Check in was a breeze. We had booked a suite for the special occasion. We went to our room for a quick change and out to dinner. When we came back, there was a huge fruit basket and wine waiting for us. Loved those chocolate dipped strawberries. The room was great, clean and comfortable. Fruit, chocolate, wine and a big jacuzzi. What a set up. The next morning we headed to their restaurant for a huge breakfast that was included with the room. They had everything and anything you wanted a more. Thanks Presidente, I think we will spend our 1st anniversary there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights the week of August 17, 2014. Pros: The hotel was very clean my room was spacious with plenty of sunlight. The staff was excellent and very friendly, will go out of the way to make your stay very pleasant and enjoyable. The front desk staff communicated well in English no problem understanding me or understanding them. Breakfast Buffet was excellent with a different variety each morning. Work out room was decent not a lot of equipment, but has the basic equipment. Good location downtown near Museum and local stores, food market down the street. Hotel well secured and security present 24-7. Very nice casino with newer and plenty of slot machines (plenty of penny slots machine to choose from if that's what you like) Front desk will book the tours for you, and you are picked up and dropped off at the hotel. You can exchange currency at the front desk, no fee applied. Another plus they will mail your post cards for free from the front desk (my postcards was mail back to the states). Wi-Fi worked well on my I-Pad, able to stream movies from Netflix, Crackle (Hulu Plus not available for streaming in Costa Rica) was not a problem 85% of the time, web and email search about 95% of the time no problem. Had lunch at the hotel restaurant very good. If you are on a budget, KFC and Quiznos right next door to the hotel. Wendy's and Burger King down the street. Also the cab fare cost 30.00 US money to and from the hotel and for two people.

Cons: Outside the hotel it's very busy with peddlers and very nosey from very early in the morning to late in the evening, one woman every day was hollering from the top of her voice selling something I had no clue what she was saying or what she was trying to sell, most of the peddlers has items that you would not be interested in buying nor would you want too, FYI: the stores in the area are not upscales stores! Also If noise is a factor for you and you are on vacation for relaxation and do not care for extreme traffic and noise from the street, along with the street being very packed with people (very similar to New York City) this is not for you! The hotel also under construction, and some days I did hear some drilling, but not continuous all day. The phone in my room didn't work, no big deal for me it wasn't a major concern. I know my review is very long but I trying to think of all the things I would like to know and be concern about when I travel.

Room Tip: Do not get a room directly in the front of the hotel, too much noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa, Fl.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

A good hotel well located in downtown San Jose, is a rather transient hotel or for a business trip, not a resort for vacationing. The hotel was remodeling making it a little uncomfortable full access to all the installations but is understandable.The rooms are comfortable but a little dark for my taste, more if you stay in one of the inside rooms.Good service especially in the restaurant, good compliments to restaurant staff for their care and service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

friendly service ,spacious rooms, only drawback was lack of natural light in the bedrooms. Our room had small window onto enclosed outside space.Staff were extremely helpful and great location near shops and museums.

Room Tip: Ask for window and not too much noise
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel is under renovation (at least the lobby seems to be) but it is not very good, e.g. phones do not work in many of the rooms, you have to enter via the back door essentially. Staff is great and made us feel secure given that it is in a part of town that can be iffy in the evening. I would check to see if the renovations are taking place and that the phones work - they did not for 2 of the 4 rooms our party used mid-July 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed here for two nights and found the hotel to be really good.

The food is good and the service is excellent. The rooms are also spacious and clean.

Being right on the main Street it can be noisy at night but you should know this when you book so no surprises.

There are some great eateries around including an Argentinian restaurant which served amazing food.

We were told to avoid walking after sunset but my teenage son and I felt very safe on our hunt for good restaurants but I am sure not everyone would feel comfortable so I guess a cheap taxi would do the trick.

Definitely a great place to stay and we had an brilliant white water rafting experience to top off our stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Presidente? Share your experiences!