“Nice hotel with great staff & downtown location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Presidente

You added Hotel Presidente to your Saves list
Hotel Presidente
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Avenue Blvd | 7th Street, San Jose 2922-1000, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
Pay 2 nights, stay 3
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice hotel with great staff & downtown location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Pros: The excellent service. Always with a smile, courtesy and efficiency. The front desk staff is exceptional. And so is the restaurant staff who provide first class service.
Cons: (1) Allow to invite guests like any other first class hotel in San Jose (2) Add a couple of cardio machines to the gym and some free weights
Location: Centrally located, on the Boulevard, a pedestrian mall of several blocks full of shops and eateries. Walking distance to the Teatro Nacional & muaeums
Great experience. - The front desk staff provided excellent service and always with a polite and friendly manner. They made us feel at home. - The location was fantastic; we could walk to many places - The breakfast at the restaurant was perfect.

The couple of things i would add: - (1) Allow to invite guests to the hotel, they could leave their ID at the front desk if safety is the issue - (2) A couple of cardio machines to the gym and some free weightsMore equipment at the gym.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior are quieter, we were on the third floor and we did not hear any noise from...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very good value considering hoe much was paid. Very little to do in san jose city but if you need to stop here the presidente is clean, breakfast is nice enough and the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

El presidente : Very good location and attractively priced. Wifi generally worked for me. Breakfast was tasty. Some renovation work ongoing but not a problem. Friendly service. Would stay again if visiting San Jose

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly. The hotel offered free wifi and breakfast, which was delicious. I loved the gallo pinto and plantains. The rooms are clean and up to date. We were able to walk I the museums and restaurants. It was a short cab ride to Peppers Good Times, where we enjoyed a live band and salsa dancing. The hotel is a great value for the price.

• Stayed July 2013
Berkley, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Though the area is hustling and bustling to say the least, Hotel Presidente was quiet, clean and very nice and modern. We were able to easily walk from the main bus station from the airport to the hotel along the pedestrian-only street and were promptly given a great room and good recommendation for food, drinks and shopping. There's a safe in the room, nice bed, nice TV (which we didn't use) and a well-done bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for something on a high floor as it's a busy area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This hotel is nothing fancy, but its location, friendly staff, and comfortable accommodations make it a good downtown choice. The only drawback to the hotel is its close proximity to gringo gulch and the goings on there.

The staff are very helpful. They helped find me a last minute rental car even comparing rates. The breakfast buffet was fine (perhaps not quite as good as the neighboring Bamoral hotel).

Overall I would say this is a good affordable choice, but watch out if you have your family to not accidentally wander into the zona rojo. ....or you may have to answer some interesting questions from the little ones.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better....less street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Well I don't know where to start. I stayed in 4 hotels in Costa Rica over 8 nights... While the first 3 were stellar, Hotel Presidente was a big disappointment.

Now I'll admit, I shoulder some of the blame for staying in downtown San Jose at the end of a trip to other magnificent areas of the country, but nonetheless, I still expected better.

I'll give Presidente props for nice rooms (the bathroom was superb), and the location (proximity to local museums, shopping, and restaurants). On the downside of the rooms - there was no coffee maker (really??? This is still Costa Rica, right?), and I had to ask for a fridge. Now, I normally wouldn't comment on a hotel's lack of a fridge in my room, but I just found it odd that 1-2 days prior to my arrival, I received an unsolicited email from Presidente confirming my reservation and stating in the first few lines, "All rooms come with a refrigerator." So...... naturally, I showed up with beers I wanted to keep cold.

I'll also say that the hotel's breakfast was lacking, and again, my least favorite of the 4 hotels' on my trip (by far). On the upside, the room service at 9 pm was pretty good.

My wife wants to add that she felt the overall vibe of the place was a little "cold." It just wasn't as warm and welcoming as other places we visited during our stay.

Finally, I'm still a little perplexed at this: I booked this stay at a pre-pay, non-refundable rate several months ago to get a better price. Now, conventional wisdom would lead me to think my card would be charged at the time of reservation (since even an immediate cancelation would result in a forfeit of the entire amount). However, they asked for my card upon check in (turns out I forgot to bring it - that's another story). I asked why we couldn't just use the card I booked the room with and the reply was, "Well we can if you have the card with you." So ok, no big deal, I gave them a different card. Then, at check out, I'm asked for the new card AGAIN. They told me they only put a hold on the card at check-in. Mmmmmkayyyy..... Stranger still, the hold they placed is, in fact, on the original card used to book the room.

When I told people I had 2 nights booked in San Jose, the common response was, "why??" Believe me, I don't care to go back. However, if I do, I won't be staying at Hotel Presidente.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Presidente? Share your experiences!