“GREAT VACATION” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Save Saved
You added Balmoral Hotel to your Saves list
Balmoral Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Avenue between 7th & 9th Street, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #19 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Antioch, California
“GREAT VACATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Balmoral hotel has an excellent location, in the center of San Jose, walking distance of tourist sites,shops and restaurants, Adriana at the front desk had our rooms and lunch ready for us when we arrived excellent food, the staff was very courteous. We thank Balmoral for their great hospitality and thank you Adriana for your a job well done :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Decent rooms, decent location, ugly entrance, but the principal reason for the terrible rating is that the front desk has no concept of customer service, whatsoever. They made an attempt to charge me for mini bar products that were not consumed, and would not accept my statement about the products not having been consumed. Additionally, the prices were extortionate even for a mini bar.
When I told reception I would be staying another night I was told I had to pay before I could re-enter my room, being treated as a virtual criminal.
There was no understanding of even the most basic requirements of customer service.
Lastly, a fairly miserable minimal buffet breakfast. Hard pancakes, mediocre pastries, no selection of fresh fruit, and cold coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I were road tripping through Costa Rica and wanted to find a place to stay in the heart of San Jose. The location was right in the heart of San Jose. The restaurants were so good we could just eat there for each of our nights.

The best part of our stay was when we were looking for tours, the front desk attendant took it upon herself and called a tour company she knew of so I could talk to them. That led us to having the best tour we could have imagined.

The one thing I would make sure people understand is downtown San Jose isn't somewhere you want to explore late at night so if you're adverse to staying in the hotel and having a drink at the bar, downtown San Jose may not be your best choice.

For us though, the price, location and quality were great and I couldn't see why anyone would stay anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013
playa del Coco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed at the Balmoral Hotel a few times, they have clean rooms, good restaurant &bar.I checked in for two nights and the price posted said $105.00 per night unless you stay longer then it is $75.00 per night,they put throught the charges on my visa right away, then I got to the desk to check out and the woman at the front desk told me it would be another $118.00 because the $212.00 was only a holding fee.I pointed out the price of the rooms were $105.00 per night for standard rooms, she said to me "just to let you know, the rooms are more for next time" If its more take down the posted prices. I don't think I will stay there again I don't need to argue when I leave a place. This is very unprofessional.The Presidential is just across from there, I will stay there from now on

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've ever visited Costa Rica and because of the people and the excellent service I received at the Balmoral, I am booking my second trip today!!! The people are SO friendly and they go beyond the call of duty to make sure you have everything you need and you are comfortable. I've seen them stop what they were doing not just to answer any questions I had but to stay with me until I had an answer even if they had to take care of it themselves! There were a lot of guest staying there but they made me feel at home, greeting me everyday with a warm smile and pleasant attitude remembering me by my name so I felt like I was surrounded by friends and not a tourist. Everyone from the front desk clerks to the baggage handlers to the housekeeping staff, EVERYONE greets you with a smile, are SO INCREDIBLY HELPFUL and treats you so nicely! The room was EXCELLENT and SO CLEAN!!!! The complimentary breakfast is a FEAST!!! I've NEVER seen anything like it! You have such a variety of food to eat made right before your eyes with the option of having things made to order the way YOU want it along with fresh fruit, juice, EVERYTHING for you and your family members of every age! I'm talking from cold cereal to personally made omelets with your choice of fixings! Meats, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, toast, etc. Amazing Food and it's FREE!! Room service is awesome! I can go on and on! The Patio restaurant is awesome and so are the shops you see in the hotel! The hotel is in a great location for tourist to see the people of San Jose and to visit parks and landmarks. You also have a variety of American eateries within walking distance such as KFC, QUIZNOS. MCDONALDS, etc. There are street vendors and other places to purchase souvenirs as well. You don't find many hotels that look EXACTLY the way they look online but the BALMORAL DOES!!! I enjoyed my stay so much that I didn't want to leave!!! Trust me, if you come to San Jose, Costa Rica, staying at the BALMORAL IS A MUST AND WILL MAKE YOUR TRIP COMPLETE!!!! I'm booking my next trip with them right now!!!

• Stayed September 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went to Costa Rica for a tour but decided to spend a few extra days in San Jose prior to the start of the tour. We found out about the Balmoral once we decided that we wanted to stay near the Barrio Amon district. This hotel was perfect for what we were looking for. The location put us in the middle of every walking street of San Jose and many of the museums. The staff especially Adriana and Esteban were extremely knowledgeable, friendly and patient. So if you are traveling to San Jose and want a hotel in the middle of town, the Balmoral is it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I rented at the Balmoral for 3 nights total and we would highly recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to stay in an upscale hotel, great customer service, clean rooms, dependable WIFI, flat screen with cable, and the location couldn't be better if you want to explore San Jose on foot, which I highly recommend. Walking out the front of the hotel leads you to a walking avenue loaded with shops and vendors.. lots of fun. A great introduction to Latin America. The breakfast is absolutely amazing too.. and is included with the room. This a huge value added because food prices in Costa Rica are fairly high.. San Jose is a beautiful and dynamic city and you can walk from the hotel to just about any place in the central city within a half hour. All the major museums are only blocks away. Taxi's are numerous and fair also. The desk staff was very helpful and they speak enough English to help you through the process.. stress free. This hotel does not allow overnight female guest of the short term variety, so keep that in mind if you are doing singles travel. Remember that this is Latin America, and things are different here. If you want polished and manicured then go go Florida. But the hotel itself is definitely upscale and would be even in the states. They are processing through a remodel so some rooms are more dated than others. Room 501 is a great room, updated to new, with a view of the mountains, city and street below. Room 506 has more dated components..

Room Tip: Room 501 is newly updated with a nice view of the mountains
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Balmoral Hotel? Share your experiences!