“Super Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Save Saved
You added Balmoral Hotel to your Saves list
Balmoral Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Avenue between 7th & 9th Street, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #15 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
“Super Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Balmoral because of its location downtown. The rooms have been upgrade and are very clean and the water pressure in the shower is fantastic. If you travel much to Costa Rica you know this is a pleasant surprise.
The most impressive part of my stay was the staff. The front desk, bell, and room staff are all very nice and helpful in every way.
For that reason I will continue to come back. And the water pressure of course

Room Tip: I personally like the 5th floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

486 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hotel has a great location right in the heart of the capital city. You can walk everywhere and explore the area very easily.
We just needed a place to stay for one night before our flight out of San Jose the next morning. Our travel agent selected this one since we didnt need anything fancy or expensive. Well, we certainly got what we paid for.
The front desk didnt have our reservation or any records of our payment. Well, I pulled out our reservation confirmation and payment receipt and they quickly changed their tune. Something seemed a bit shady.
They dont have King size beds so my husband and I shared a Queen. WARNING: The rooms dont have SAFES!!!! If we wanted a safe we would have had to downgrade to a room with 2 single beds!! Are you kidding me?? So I just locked my pasport in my suitcase.
The breakfast in the morning is okay, nothing great.
The bathrooms were clean and the showers were spacious.
I'll try another cheap hotel the next time I need a quick place in San Jose.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aguadilla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

My first time in Costa Rica. I purchased a tour package from travel agency and was very happy with the location, food, service and staff @ this hotel. Being in the center of town gives you the flexibility to shop, sightsee, visit casinos, restaurants and historical sights all in walking distance. Not a fancy place but it does have class when it comes to service and cleansiness. I would consider without a doubt staying once again plus recommend it to others as well!

• Stayed August 2012
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Costa Rica. We were in town as part of the Credomatic Music Festival. www.quattrosound.com We stayed in Balmoral for a few days. The rooms, restaurant and personnel were all top notch. The rooms were very clean. The menu selection in the restaurant was great. I really enjoyed the salmon dish with capers. Or, a bit more authentic dish..the ceviche was just as delicious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Vega Alta, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great location. Breakfast was good. The staff was very helpful. This is not a luxury hotel but then again you are in the middle of San Jose, a very old crowded city. Rooms were clean and made everyday. A bit noisy if you are looking to sleep in late.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The service was great, the meals at the hotel restaurant were delicious with a very large menu, and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located on a street that is all pedestrian with lots of shopping and restaurants. There is a gift shop at the street level of the hotel; the shop keeper and co-worker were particularly warm and welcoming, and their merchandise was very high quality and not higher priced than the marketplace where you have to deal with bargaining tourists and pushy merchants. I found this hotel very comfortable and easy; there is a great little coffee shop within the main restaurant, plus a bar upstairs with good atmosphere. Thank you for a wonderful stay, Balmoral!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The security at this hotel is very discrimitory. Maybe they don't like Americans but they made my traveling companion change clothes upon our arrival. Then I watched others walk out of the hotel with the ame or worse attire. Completely unacceptable......I thought I would get some resolution by telling them I was checking out but they didn't care. They were ready to take my key. This was not my first stay but it was my last.

Room Tip: if you are a female dress as if you are in Saudi Arabia and ask for a room facing the mall. The b...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Balmoral Hotel? Share your experiences!