“Don't trust the safe in the room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica

Save Saved
You added Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Street & 3rd-15th Ave | P.O. Box 538, Calle Blancos, San Jose 558-2120, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #20 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't trust the safe in the room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the july 4th holiday. On my 3rd day there, i left the room for about 4 hours to see the city and I put my valuables in the safe and cash as well. When I returned my code for the safe would not work, so I had to call hotel security to come open the safe for me. When they opened the safe I noticed that $200 in cash was missing. Hotel security performed what they called in an "investigation" which took only 30 minutes. They returned saying no one entered the room except for house keeping and the guy that fills up the minibar. They said that no employees can access the safe without having two representatives from hotel security present. I know my cash was stolen by someone within the hotel staff! They refused to provide any help in this matter and said that there is no evidence of this. Obviously, this is a scam set up by their own security and therefore can not be held liable if no proof is evident. I suggest not leaving any valuables in the safe and bringing your own lock to lock your bags. I noticed this has happened to someone else in an other review I have read. Otherwise the hotel is decent for its price, but if your cash is stolen then it is very costly!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 11, 2013

Dear Mr Patel
This is to say hello and apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay, with respect to their com lost money before you tell the security department who was responsible for conducting research on the loss did not find any kind of evidence that some hotel collaborator has subtracted the money from the safe and as I mentioned we had opening safes involves a procedure that only supervisors and security departments housekeeper has access to this procedure, if any of the relevant departments have found some anomaly the hotel had been made responsible for lost, unfortunately not found any evidence of his accusation without the necessary foundations prevents us provide possible assistance.

Guest Service Manager
Tel 2010-6000 Ext 5555

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent two night here with our tour group. The hotel is lovely! The rooms are a mix of old and new, which makes for a charming ambiance. The service is fantastic and the staff truly care about your experience. Just one example of the exempliary service: During our second nights stay I called the front desk and asked if we could switch our room from a double queen to a single king. The receptionist was not only able to switch our room, (free of charge) but also immediately sent a bellboy to move our belongings. I had barely hung up the phone when the bellboy had arrived at our door. The entire staff is perfectly bilingual so there was zero confusion. The hotel is conveniently close to the airport as well. However, there is a busy intersection to cross to get to downtown so be ready to spend about the equivalent if $2-$4 on a cab as opposed to walking. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 10, 2013

Dear Ms Sarah C

Thanks for taking the time to write about us, all our hotel staff is very pleased that your stay with us was to your liking, we hope to have the opportunity to return to our hotel to exceed your expectations so on your next visit this area and this your hotel.

Jose Pablo Zarzosa M
TEL 2010-6000 Ext 5555
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I want to start by saying we enjoyed the Radisson very much and really enjoyed our time in Costa Rica.

My most troublesome problem came with reservation issues. We were flying Copa Airlines from Washington Dulles and our flight was so delayed that we missed our connection in Panama. I had booking.com call the hotel and inform the front desk that we would not be checking in until Wednesday morning because of the flight delay. The reason I had booking.com call is because when I called the Radisson I was told the hotel didn't have my reservation on file. Booking.com then called and confirmed that I had made a reservation weeks before my arrival. Not sure who dropped the ball on that one.

When we finally arrived Wednesday morning we were informed that we would still have to pay for Tuesday night and no one seemed too keen on actually working with us on the matter.

The restaurant was nice but I'd score it pretty low because of service. We waited a very long time for our waiter to return to take our order and then to return with the food. We were very tempted to just charge it to the room and leave before it arrived. The room service menu had so many delicious options (and we ordered a lot of room service!) but we were surprised to find many of the options on the room service menu were not available in the restaurant.

The grounds were very lovely and walking distance of the main drag of restaurants and shops.

I filled out the survey after my stay and the guest services manager emailed me and seemed very interested in my experiences but my response to his email are being bounced back and my only option would be to place an international call.

Room Tip: Executive floor is a little extra but totally worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked a tour through Gate 1, and this was the first hotel we stayed in Costa Rica. We ended up there 3 different nights in 3 different rooms. All of the rooms were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was tasty-especially the fruit. We even ordered room service once and it was excellent! There are some souvenirs in the lobby that were actually some of the most reasonably priced in the entire country! The bar and restaurant are average priced-not really insanely expensive, but definitely not cheap either! We didn't really venture out because we didn't feel comfortable wandering around the neighborhood. That may have been our unfamiliarity with the area as much as anything, but it seemed kind of rough to us. Only thing I would change is I wish I could have found a TV list that showed which channels occasionally played in English. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 28, 2013

Dear Erin

It's good to know he had a first class stay with us! Thanks for taking the time to write about our hotel! We hope you visit us again soon!
Regards.

Guest Service Manager
Tel 2010-6000 ext 5555
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We highly recommend the Radisson. The staff was helpful and friendly and particularly Antonio at the front desk. The room extremely comfortable. The location was good as, Downtown was five or less dollars by cab. This City is not a great walking City due to the traffic and pot holes. The breakfast was a fabulous large buffet anything you want to include American Style or local style. I have stayed at Radisson before and they are pretty good with consistency. The gym was really well kept, and the pool looked nice. Entertainment every night was really good also. Some nights they had small local group signing and on other nights they had a great DJ. In the dining room we had dinner one time and it was fabulous. I cannot think of anything bad to say. We stayed 2 nights, and than returned for 5.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 21, 2013

Dear casakey:

We thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our hotel, by all the staff thank you for the qualification of 5 stars and great review, we hope to have the opportunity to have you back with us or when visit this area so to exceed your expectations in this your hotel.

toronto, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a nice hotel and a short cab ride to the center. Truthfully I wouldn't stay in the center anyway. The hotel is clean, the rooms were nice and the restaurants were pretty good. If you are going for a short stay of just a few days, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Greeting from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear Ab0000:

On behalf of all the staff of our hotel we want to thank you for taking the time to write about us, also thank you for your score of 4 stars and your wonderful comments, all hope to have the opportunity to have him well again to exceed your expectations to your next visit to this area.

Jose Pablo Zarzosa M
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Recently stayed here a couple of days and had a great experience. The hotel is very helpful and makes sure that your stay there is a great one. The hotel itself is about 10 mnts away from some of the most visited touristic spots and only cost about $3 or $4 to get you there on Taxi. There is an ATM right across the street from there incase you run out of cash and there a gas station to get your munchies and a taxi station down the street from there. Although I wouldnt recommend walking around there at night, you should be very safe during the day since I felt comfortable walking by myself during the daytime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 13, 2013

Dear Surge82

TEL 2010-6000 EXT 5555

Been to Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica? Share your experiences!