“Good value, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica

You added Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Central Street & 3rd-15th Ave | P.O. Box 538, Calle Blancos, San Jose 558-2120, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 10%
Ranked #25 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Canada
“Good value, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel is well located if you want to be close to downtown but not quite there. There are not many things to do from a walking distance and although room rates are very good, restaurant prices are not. You can get nbetter rates outside, but this is expected at any hotel. However we had one of the best Chifrijos of our trip there. Everyone was very friendly and breakfast was very generous with local and "regular" food. We did not go into the swimming pools because they are not heated and only had time to go in the morning i.e. water was coold. We used wifi on our phones without having to pay extra. I really liked that besides shampoo and lotion they also provided a sewing kit, dental floss and a shower cap. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RD_CRSanJose, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Greetingas from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear Bruixita:

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

20106000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Radisson Europa is a very quiet and peaceful hotel with a very accomodating staff. I stayed in a double with pool view and the room was quite large with at least 15 foot ceilings. I had no problems with the water quality or temperature. I was able to take hot showers any time of the day and brush my teeth without getting sick. The water is purified so it is safe to drink. The room has its own thermostat or you can open a window for some fresh air. Internet for your laptop is wireless and is free but you will have to pay if you use WIFI on your cell phone. The pool area is very peaceful with a vast amount of tropical plants, waterfalls and benches. The water in the pool is very cold because it is an outdoor pool and all outdoor pools in San Jose will be cold throughout the year unless they are heated. The water in the spa/hottub was hot and I spent a couple of hours soaking in it. After a long day it was good to relax in the pool area. The pictures on the Radisson website are up to date and match the hotel.

I did not find its location to be a problem. The hotel has a line of taxis out front and some are there 24 hours a day. We had a tour and needed to get a taxi to take us to the pickup location at 5:00 AM and there was a taxi ready as soon as we walked out of the lobby. In San Jose you do not want to walk around at night due to the potential for crime. The city is designed for taxis and they are everywhere. So don't hesitate taking one even if the drive is short.

If you like to work out Golds Gym is right next door and your stay includes access to the gym. It is the same size and quality as any Golds Gym in the U.S.A. There is also a casino next door if you like to gamble with Texas Hold'Em. If you need an atm there is a bank a short walk away. The distance to the bank is about half a block. You will get a better rate on currency transfer at the bank then using the currency exchange at the airport.

I ate only once at the hotel in the bar area and the food was very good. I had Cerviche and a bowl of Scallop Soup. Although they were listed as appetizers there was more than enough to make it a meal. No hotels in Costa Rica have vending machines. So if you want a soda you will have to order it from room service or go to the restaurant and purchase it. The room has a refrigerator so I would recommend getting a few sodas for future consumption.

The Radisson Europa is a great hotel and I will stay here again when I return to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: I would recommend a pool view room to ensure you get a very quiet room. My room was on the second fl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Grettings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear David-bb63

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your bussines and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is amazing and it is in a good part of San José. Not in the center but near it. The staff was very kind and the room was really really comfortable. The pool area is cool and have different pools. I would stay there again but one thing I really dislike in the hotel. They have one employee that is a Taxi driver and always stay in front of the hotel. It is a normal taxi just like all the taxis in San Jose. I asked them to hire a taxi for me and they brought me this taxi from the hotel. The driver didn't wanna start the taximeter and said it would be 3.000 colones for the ride. Normally I pay 700 Colones for that ride. If the taxi was one business service or different from the other taxis it would be ok, but this was really upset. This is the worst way of taking money from a tourist, the hotel should take care of the guests not taking money like this. I was really sad with this case, because every time this happens in other cities I feel like robbed. I would stay there again because it is a good hotel but I will ask in the reception to hire me one taxi that won't fool me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Vistor N:

if in fact we are already taking alternatives to modify the rates of taxis ls the appropriate apologies.

Innsbruck, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

The Hotel is located close to The City Centre. Spacious room, good breakfast and Good value. Paid USD 109 for a Double including breakfast. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel Building Itself is a Bit Old.

• Stayed November 2012

Dear Tirol76:

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

As other reviews have said, it's a bit out of the center, but having experienced the noise and traffic chaos of downtown, that's perhaps no bad thing. The heavy concrete architecture of the place can be a bit overpowering, but the willingness of the staff, the comfortable beds and the good restaurant all add up fairly well. As a part of an international chain however, a bit more attention to the command of English by the principal staff would be welcome - the front desk in particular. A discussion about where places were downtown, and how to get to them, was finally put back on the rails by one of the bell captains, whose command of English (and knowledge of downtown) exceeded that of his three colleagues at the front desk. And we had to have string of minor repairs carried out - bathroom plugs and taps - toaster in the breakfast room (still not fixed after 2 days), etc. But having looked in briefly to another hotel (shalln't name it, but its tripadvisor ewrviews aren't great), this is probably the place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside courtyard - ours was quiet, but our friends on the outside were aware o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have been stayed at Radisson San Jose couple time, it's not far away from downtown, and nearby the companies I visited.

All the trips can be arranged at the counter, the travel agent would pick you up from the hotel, and send you back; even can order cafe Britt online, delivery to the hotel.

Room Tip: the adjustable bed is nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights while on a GATE 1 tour to Costa Rica (by the way, GATE 1 tours are absolutely amazing and well priced so look in to this too if interested). The front desk staff is polite, efficient and got everything done so quickly. It was a nice intro to the country. The hotel is out of the way - you need to take a taxi to get to the city center but there are always taxis waiting outside and the car ride should be no more than $5 - only takes around 8 minutes.

I was traveling alone but even if I wasn't the room was big enough for two with lovely decor and nice flat screen TV. Added bonus is the extremely comfy sleep number bed - I could have slept the day away if allowed! There was interesting sepia colored art on the walls from another era and I enjoyed looking at it. While the hotel was away from the center, I felt safe so that was a good feeling.

There was a casino in which I only went in to get some change for smaller bills. Also a pool outside which seemed relaxing with some Zen gardens. Didn't get to go in it because it was raining but I liked looking at it. The breakfast here was delicous and the omelette station was the best part. Fruit was fresh and yummy.

When I had to leave the hotel at 3:30 am for my flight back, the staff was awake, alert and wished me Pura Vida (and my GATE 1 aiport van was there right on time!!!)

Room Tip: Ask for one close to the lobby as it can get confusing navigating through the hallways
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
RD_CRSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear travelchick627,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! I am really glad that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel. It is always nice to know we are doing things right. I also appreciate that you took the time to write and post your comments. On behalf of our team thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Have a nice day!

Best wishes,

Mauricio Luna Arce.
Revenue Coordinator
Tel: 506-20106000
Email: mluna@radisson.co.cr

Been to Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica? Share your experiences!