“good but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vesuvio Hotel

You added Vesuvio Hotel to your Saves list
Vesuvio Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 11, Calle 13-15 | Barrio Otoya, San Jose 1316, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #55 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Monteverde, Costa Rica
“good but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I will like to give 4 star but at the same time i will like to give 2....so at the end 3 stars isn't bad.

pro:
very friendly staff
good location
good Price
good restaurant food
large size room

cons:
- you can hear people walking and talking while you are sleeping (almost sleeping)
- I founded some hair on my bed ...not a big deal, I know is really hard to clean well the cover sometimes, but...
- The room/furniture color is terrible!! The door, table, chair were all painted with the exact same paint - gray! I am normally not a guy with high interior design standard, but the over all feeling of this room was depressing...
- I did dinner and breakfast in the hotel at the same table....I found the same dirty spoon in the night and in the morning too....plus in the morning they didn't replace the fork that i used the night before...so, it looks like at night they colleced the fork along with my empty plates, but they didn't wipe the table, and forgot the dirty spoon, and with no clean replacement in the morning.
- For breakfast, the clean dishes and cups were all randomely left on a tale for guests to take. I think a little more order (same dishes's size) will be much better to see for the guests.
- I hate doing breakfast at a place when the butter and marmelade are served on a dish touching other food. Here it was worse. The butter and jam were not cut or presented nicely, it was spooned out from the jar and dropped onto the same plate with the burned toasts.

In the end...will I go back again? ....yes, with hope that they can improve all these little things to make a guest's experience even better. Only then, can they be proud of themselves to be the best hotel in thier category in San Jose. (a sign I saw in their lobby...)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
vesuviocr, Gerente at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Vesuvio for your lodging accommodation in San Jose, and thanks for sharing your experience with us. We really appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and when our guests let us know what they love about our hotel or what we can improve ,it is great for us, because we can take care of these recommendations in order to maximize our guests satisfaction, which is our highest priority in Hotel Vesuvio. We are constantly evaluating our staff to provide the best possible service. We agreed with you about Hotel Vesuvio being the perfect location, 5 minutes walk from downtown San Jose and near to banks, shops, restaurants, night life and museums; and also about the good price and good food. I hope you stay with us next time and see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel about one year ago the first time. It definitely is a long way from the airport but it's location proved to be a winner. We had always avoided downtown in the past but decided to change it up a little. That turned out to be a great decision. If you're a walker, and like parks, and mingling with crowds of people, then this location is great. In fact, after our experience the first time, we decided to stay here again, this time for a whole week which just ended three days ago. Was it perfect? O course not. It's an older hotel, the TV is tiny, there is no air conditioning, but it was clean, reasonably priced and included breakfast in the price. But what was the most important to us, by far, was the incredible service we received. In fact, that's what compelled us to stay here for a second time. From the front desk (Juan and staff) to the restaurant, run by another Juan, we could not have asked for better service. We often ate in our room, and Chef Juan would show up at our door in person. The sea bass was incredible, everything was fresh, plenty of fruit, and again, very reasonably priced. And, we got to experience San Jose at street level rather than as a stop over on the way to somewhere else. Would we stay here again? You bet!!! By the way, if you take the shuttle instead of a cab to or from the airport, you'll pay 18 dollars US; by cab app. 30 bucks US.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

vesuviocr, Gerente at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Mr. Duane:
Thanks for your review and for sharing your good experience with TripAdvisor's readers. We all remembered your stay very well in the hotel just some days ago. I am glad to know that the hotel staff gave you and incredible service and that you were very satisfied with our breakfast and dinner. We agree with you about Hotel Vesuvio being the perfect location, very near to the museums, theaters, banks, shops, restaurants, just 5 minutes walking from the heart of downtown, San Jose; also agree about our reasonably price even for the room and in the restaurant. The guest satisfaction is our highest priority. Thanks for taking your time to let us know about your experience with Hotel Vesuvio. I hope you and your friend would stay with us next time you come to Costa Rica. We really appreciate you choosing Hotel Vesuvio for your lodging accommodation in San Jose. Hope to see you both soon!
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

First let me say that this was where I stayed for an overnight in San Jose to catch an international flight out at the end of an amazing stay in Costa Rica. Everywhere I went the country, accommodations, and people were outstanding. So I was a bit disappointed here. It is ridiculously far away from the international airport and the drive is nerve-wracking to say the least. I was unaware of the hotel bus, and that might have made a HUGE difference. I recommend you call them and set up a pick up if possible.

There is no lobby really. There is an old desk with a stiff wooden chair and a coffee pot.

The room was old. Very old. Dingy, needed renovations, very dim lighting, fan wobbled uncontrollably at the speed needed to cool the room, paint was bad. The bathroom was minuscule, though the shower was okay. The bed was not very comfortable, not enough pillows. You have to pay extra for the room safe. The key fob is a huge block of wood! No key cards here! Also, it was incredibly noisy. I could not sleep because of the street noise right outside my window.

The evening staff when I checked in was a bit surly, she did not offer to help me with my bags or the door. Did not inform me a safe key was extra until I called back from the room. The morning staff was really friendly and helpful. He made coffee for me and we had a nice conversation.

The restaurant is FABULOUS! Really good food with very economical prices. The chef was very friendly. I would go back to the restaurant many times.

This hotel was not expensive, but more costly than the overnight hotel when I arrived, and not nearly as nice or comfortable. It was okay, but I do not see myself going back, except maybe to the restaurant if I am in that area anyway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
vesuviocr, Director General at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear 0Val0:

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel and thanks for choosing Hotel Vesuvio for your lodging accommodation in San Jose, Costa Rica. We appreciate customers who let us know when things are not completely right so that we can improve.

I am very glad to hear that the restaurant was FABULOUS! and with very reasonable prices, also thanks for letting us know that the service you received in the morning was great.

The guest satisfaction is our highest priority in Hotel Vesuvio, we are constantly evaluating our staff to provide the best possible service.

I am glad to inform you that since this month the safety deposit box is completely free for all our guests. Thanks for taking your time to let us know how you feel. I hope you will back and give us the opportunity to serve you in the hotel and in the restaurant. Thanks for your comments.

Laura Jiménez
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The first time was for two nights on March 26th and 27th, and again for another three nights from April 1-3 when we returned from Nicaragua. The 3 staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. I am an early riser, and Mauricio the night manager would always make a pot of fresh coffee for me every morning. Juan Carlos the daytime manager was always prompt in answering any questions, and the same goes for Adriana the sweet lady with the sweet smile! I should also mention the chef with the same name of Juan Carlos who provided good service everytime we had dinner or breakfast in the restaurant. All of these people spoke good English which of course is essential in every hotel in any country where international travelers stay. The location of the hotel was good too as we could walk to downtown San Jose, and to the several parks nearby. We didn't have any problems with noise even when there were young students staying there. The staff also arranged all the tours for us. Thank you for making our stay at your hotel pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
vesuviocr, Manager at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear burmaboy:

Thank you very much to you and your wife for your for amazing feedback! And thanks for sharing this positive comment with all of the TripAdvisors readers. It is so important to us, to hear about your great experience at Hotel,Vesuvio. I am very glad to hear that all of our staff exceeded your expectations. We all remembered you and your wife very well. It was a great pleasure having you with us, we really enjoyed your stay.

We agree with you about Hotel Vesuvio being the perfect location, very near to the museums, theaters, banks, shops, restaurants, just 5 minutes walking from the heart of downtown, San Jose.

We are very grateful with you for choosing Hotel Vesuvio for your lodging accommodation in San Jose. Hope to see you both in the very near future.

Thanks so much;

Laura Jimenez.
General Manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Hotel sent shuttle to pick me up. Hotel is in great area safe clean with wifi and hotel water. Staff very friendly caring they went out of their way to make things awesome

I really hope you stay at this hotel so you get to enjoy what me and my husband did.

Great price location and room. I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
vesuviocr, Gerente at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Jelly196:

We are more than glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay so much at Hotel Vesuvio and the service provided by our hotel staff was so much appreciated. We are constantly evaluating our staff to provide the best possible service. I am also glad to hear that the WIFI worked perfectly according to your expectations. Thank you for sharing your very positive comments with Tripadvisors's readers. We always try to provide our guests a very good "value for money ", offering an excellent and safe location just 5 minutes walk from downtown San Jose where you can find banks, shops, restaurants, night life and museums. We hope to have the pleasure to seeing you on your next trip to our beautiful Costa Rica!

Regards,

Tulum, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

simple, secure, not expensive place to stay in the capital of costa rica. not more than a night its in a secure neighbourhood in san jose, the front desk is extremely nice and helped me in what i needed. the rooms are simple, bathrooms really small and the street in the end of the afternoon is extremely noisy. beds are confortable. not much to say. enought for what you pay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
vesuviocr, Gerente at Vesuvio Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Vesuvio for your lodging accommodation in San Jose, and thanks for sharing your good experience with us. We really appreciate it when our guest let us know what they love about our hotel or what we can improve on. We agreed with you that Hotel Vesuvio offers a very good "value for money " , also being the perfect and secure location, 5 minutes walk from downtown San Jose and near to banks, shops, restaurants, night life and museums. We are really sorry to hear that the noise coming from the street disturbed you; we are working to fix these issues, preventing this kind of inconveniences and of course maximizing our guest satisfaction. We are constantly evaluating our staff to provide the best possible service. I hope you stay with us next time you come to Costa Rica.

Regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. The young lady who works until 10 p.m. is a sweetie and was very friendly and helpful as was all the staff. Great location. Breakfast was very good. Helped with taxi to airport, and he arrived right on time. Manager a great guy. Would return...in fact can't wait to!

Room Tip: Close to the Sportsman Lodge, great for single guys who are visiting San Jose.