“Yay Santo Tomas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Santo Tomas to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Tomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue 7 Between Streets 3 and 5 | 250 Meters West from INS Building, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT & SAVE 25%
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Baltimore, Maryland
“Yay Santo Tomas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My plan was to stay at Santo Tomas for a few nights, go north for a few days, then return to San Jose, (but stay at the Gran Hotel). Once Thomas (the owner) gave me a tour of the entire place, I decided to return there for an additional 3 nights. All of the rooms are large and clean, but I was especially taken by the 2nd floor balcony rooms. (sweet!) You don't really see much of the hotel from the outside , but once you get inside and wander around, you get the true feel of the place. High ceilings, exceptionally nice ironwork on the railings, and a number of places to sit and read, or have a drink with friends. Also a small, but beautifully done pool tucked inside that feels like an oasis. This place has a soul. Thomas told me he was a contractor in a prior life, and it shows. He's justifiably proud of his work. You're only a few blocks from the heart of downtown and I felt perfectly safe there. When I go back, I'll be staying there again. - Curt

Room Tip: Get a balcony room if you can
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi Curt , Man , thanks so much for your most outstanding comments !
Your line about the place having a soul really means a lot to me. That is what I want, clients to feel , that it is just like home. I love what I do and we are here to assist 24/7. All guests are welcome to poke around and explore the property , we leave rooms open that are available or that clients have not checked into just for that reason. And if someone wants to upgrade for a few dollars more , than so be it. Be sure to grab me upon your next visit and I'll give you the more in depth tour on the construction.
Safe Travels Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night after a week-long trip through Costa Rica. It is a very American hotel; there are normal door locks (no triple-turn deadbolts), a fitness room, a small pool and hot tub, and the staff all speak quite fluent English.

When we left at the morning, the man at the front desk told us exactly how to get to the airport bus and where to stand in line. Everyone was quite helpful.

It's not located in the best neighborhood, but we didn't feel afraid walking around during the day at all, as late as 8 or 9pm, since there were plenty of other people out and about (many well-dressed).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hola Jeff, Wonderful to know that you both had a great time here in Costa Rica and that my staff was able to please you. We are located in the Historical District in San Jose , full of great parks , museums, shopping and just a fantastic place to walk around and have that Costa Rica travel experience. Also a perfect spot for day tours and getting your rental car delivered to start you trip or end it! Thanks so much for your kind words . Warmest Regards Thomas
Ibiza, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Lovely old building with some large high ceilinged rooms. Friendly reception staff but a bit too loyal to the hotel - when asked if Cafe Mundo was a good restaurant one staff member said their restaurant was better!! Far from the truth. Their restaurant is fine but with zero ambience really. Cafe Mundo (5 mins walk) was a great romantic night out. Anyway this hotel is central although we arrived on a holiday and the area was deserted!! Our second stay we realised just how bustling the plazas nearby really are. If you're only staying one night and flying out early you can get in some terrible traffic. But our two stays were great.

AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
HI Dave, Almost all of the rooms, lobby areas and hallways have 15 foot ceilings along with the mahogany wood paneling, floors and hand made floor tiles, create that ( Lovely old building ) effect. Thank You for that comment. I apologize if you found the pool area with lots of flowers, grass and lovely Italian Iron work not romantic. We have also never had any problems with health code violations. Airport transfer is never a problem at any time, about 20 minutes from hotel , San Jose can sometime scare persons not used to it. Yes San Jose is busy, bustling capitol city full of live and interesting citizens, come see and enjoy this lovely city full of parks and have a Costa Rica experience ! Safe Travels Thomas
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hotel Santo Tomas was a great hotel to find after a hectic and somewhat unerving day in San Jose. The staff at the front desk were prompt and very helpful. The owner is friendly and will provide honest, non-biased information about any part of Costa Rica. Complimentary breakfast, pool, fast wifi and a safe in every room made it a great and solid place for us to stay two nights.

AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi biowiz15, I like that term solid, safe stay. We have many couples and single ladies stay with us for just those reasons. The hot tub and a smooth cool drink, makes it a nice way to relax after a hectic day. All of my staff is trained to provide this type of information , not just myself, it is our pleasure to assist in tour planning and car rental services. We have many clients that stay for several days enjoying the day tours out of the hotel. The agencies I work with pick you up and drop you back off right at our front door, including the car rental agency we work with, great service ! Thank you so much for your positive comments . Warmest Regards Thomas
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The best parts of a hotel and a b&b without any of the bad. The location was great for us. We even enjoyed a quick dip in the pool on one of the hotter nights. At first the gym seemed silly, but then one night I used it to get a quick session in and felt so much better after.

Room Tip: There are so many rooms. Wander around and see them if you can.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hola DC from Toronto, I really appreciate your title: “High ceilings, beautiful historical building. Excellent stay.” This is a really neat old home of almost 9000 sq. feet yep that's correct the original building has that plus the extra in the new section. the outside will fool ya ! The hot tub and gym are two areas that I love to see our guest use, as very few hotels in San Jose offer these amenities. I did not use this space for rooms as I just wanted the place to be different from other hotels. Your suggestion about wandering around is great, that is just what I want clients to do, we leave rooms open so that you may peek inside and you may at anytime upgrade to a better room for just a few dollars more. Our balcony rooms have really been a big hit.
Again Thank you so much and I am very happy you had an Excellent Stay !
Thomas
Dunedin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I did enjoy being at the hotel Santo Tomas and the stay was even better because of the staff, including the owner. From the first day I was assited by the owner and staff to find the most direct way of navigating the city. I came to Costa Rica to create a not for profit and was able to make many contacts with the people of Costa Rica, and the international guests that were in the hotel. I am sure I will return to the hotel my next visit to San Jose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi Barry, I think it is a most noble project you have embarked upon, setting up woman's centers for battered ladies and young girls here in Costa Rica. It was genuinely my pleasure to have assisted you during your visit. And you may count on Hotel Santo Tomas to be there for you and your organization in the future. We always have many very interesting clients in the hotel from the world over and you just never know what type of networking you will make. Barry , Thanks so much for you review and kind words. Stay Safe Thomas
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Enjoyable stay and great staff. Restaurant closed due to staff holidays. Disappointing. Very nice staff and good location. Great internet, pool and hot tub. Many attractive sitting areas. Deluxe rooms have balconies and good views.

AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Bill, We have many clients from Panama and Nicaragua that come and stay with us to renew their visas or who just want a change in scenery and or climate . I will make sure my staff sees your comments , it's always nice for them to know that they are appreciated. Yes we have a great location here on Avenue 7 , just before San Jose drops steeply downhill to the Rio Torres. No hills for our older or medically challenged clients to climb. I have placed 4 different routers through out the property , so that there is really strong internet service , no matter where you are on the property. I find for myself this to be one of the most important details when selecting a hotel, along with the fact that it is FREE ! Wonderful to know you enjoyed the hot tub and all of the refreshing areas to sit and just enjoy the weather. Your choice of a balcony room is spot on , they are really in demand, as clients find them to be a great value! Thanks for you outstanding review Warmest Regards Thomas

Been to Hotel Santo Tomas? Share your experiences!