“Lower-medium price, high quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

You added Hotel Santo Tomas to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Tomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue 7 Between Streets 3 and 5 | 250 Meters West from INS Building, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
10% Discount Here !
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Portland, Oregon
“Lower-medium price, high quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

hotel Santo Tomas is one of those "could this be?" experiences. From the street, it's just some wrought iron gates. Inside the front door, it's warm and inviting, with excellent staff greeting you and a pleasant lobby. Then you begin wandering corridors inside --- there's a nice smaller swimming pool, a jacuzzi, a nice restaurant/bar area, and several very nice sitting areas when you want to be outside your room. We rented a Superior Plus room, upstairs, paid about $ 78 including taxes. It was a very nice room, very thoughtfully laid out. My wife loves a dresser with mirror outside the bathroom --- had that. i like a larger shower with higher shower head --- had that. I like a lockable space for money or passports --- had that. Comfortable queen bed, nice bathroom, very clean --- had those too. I know that some people like the Marriott experience --- expensive, plastic, "just like the United States." For the rest of us, this is a great place. It's only about 5 blocks to the center of the city, several good restaurants nearby (don't miss Cafe Mundo!!) I needed three more nights of reservations later in our trip, and I made them here.

Room Tip: The "upstairs rooms" of Superior Plus are quiet, beautiful, have great bathrooms and beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hola Dave ! WOW your title I love: “Lower-medium price, high quality” I think that is exactly what most clients are looking for , what with today's economy. You description is I think spot on and creating a memorable Costa Rica visit is what we are about. Again Dave thanks so much for your outstanding review. Warmest Regards Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel Santo Tomas - I love it! The staff are super friendly. Thomas is knowledgeable, charming and seems genuinely glad to help. The rooms are beautiful and the whole place is warm, welcoming and scrupulously clean. I meant to ask what (if any) fabric softener they use - the sheets and towels felt and smelled so good! A great breakfast, cooked fresh every time, is included in the very reasonable price. We stayed there for a couple of days at the beginning and then at the end of our trip, and I felt like I was coming home for the final few days. This is a place for travelers, and I'll definitely be going back to meet more great people from all around the world. Thanks to Thomas and his excellent staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
A big thank you from Costa Rica to Ontario ! Wonderful review and it's really rewarding to know that clients do appreciate the effort that the staff and myself puts into serving our guests. Your description of being , warm, welcoming and scrupulously clean is most outstanding! Many clients do exactly what you did using us as a base upon arrival and departing and also for taking the many day tours that are offered from San Jose. Again my thanks to you and family for the visit. Safe Journeys Thomas
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I need to get dental work and the closest hotel with a good room rate was the Santo Tomas. It was rated as a 3 star and my experience is whatever the stars, they're usually less - Marriott 5 stars to me rate 3 or 4 at best. Other hotels, and I've been in at least 30 of them in Panama and Costa Rica, rarely meet my expectations.
I'm spoiled and like to be spoiled.
First, the owner is at the hotel almost every day assuring that each guest is accommodated and feels like a guest, instead of a mark. Every employee of the hotel was pleasant, although the room only had a queen bed, I was apprised of this beforehand and the bed was fairly comfortable, the room was a nice size and the shower was excellent. Give me a comfortable bed and a great shower, nice hotel employees and I am usually satisfied.
Here the employees went out of their way (or maybe it is their way) to make me feel welcome and glad to be on the property.
There's a gym to work out in, which I loved, a swimming pool, a Jacuzzi, and last but not least, a coffee machine in the lobby that makes better coffee than any place in town - and this is Costa Rica, the country that makes great coffee.
If you're looking for a very clean, comfortable place to stay in San Jose, at a rate that is very reasonable, this is the place. I'll be back, as I visit Central America 3-5 times a year and LOVE San Jose.

Room Tip: I stayed upstairs and thought it was the best place in the hotel although I did not stay downstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hola Sam ! It was wonderful having you stay with us and to see the fantastic dental work that was performed for you here in Costa Rica. At the time you were staying I think it was about 18 days , I had another 4 to 6 clients having work done as well. We are a great spot for medical stays. My staff has seen your comments and all send a warm thank you for your kind words. I love being in the hotel in the mornings with our guests in the breakfast area and assisting with what ever they require. A heartfelt thank you for the wonderful review you posted Sam. Hope to see you in the future Thomas
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were using San Jose as a pass through to Manzanillo on the Caribbean coast. We arrived and got to Santos Tomas late in the evening. The person at the desk lead us to a nice quiet room. The room was in a part of the hotel that is one of the older homes, it was nice, clean and happily quiet. Breakfast the next morning was an excellent Gallo Pinto with salsa ingles and toast. The hotel was very nice on the inside, something you would not know from the exterior. The owner stopped by during breakfast and chatted amicably with all those in the dining area. He was a warm, US expat.

For the return trip we were dropped off by our shuttle at 6:30 pm and shown to a room in the new upper floor. Very nice. The view from the balcony was great, overlooking the courtyard and pool. We decided to eat at the Oasis, the in-house restaurant. There was not much for us Vegans to choose from, but Carlos, the only person visibile, came up with a blend of vegetables in the house pomidoro sauce over pasta. It was tasty and fit the bill for us. The staff was excellent and very professional. If I need a hotel in San Jose again, i will certainly see if Santo Tomas is available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Glenn, You are correct we are a great spot for traveling from west to east and vise-versa , many guest stay here just for that . We also offer free baggage storage so that you don't have to lug around all of your stuff. Your descriptions of the two different sections of the hotel are accurate and most appreciated by me. What is really nice for me is that you enjoyed the free breakfast, this represents a real cost and it's nice when clients are appreciative. Hope to see you again in the future and than you for the most pleasing review. Warmest Regards Thomas
Reston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Not a cookie cutter hotel. Lots of outdoor spaces attractively sited around a landscaped pool area. Our large room overlooking a second floor outdoor seating area had comfortable beds, spacious modern bath, and charm. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was freshly prepared. We enjoyed the convenient location in walking distance to downtown San Jose and major museums. We would definitely return and would recommend the hotel to others. The art, ironwork and ambiance make this place a distinct contrast to chain hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hola LMBReston, Hey I like that about not being a cookie cutter hotel. Instead of building all of the property just for rooms , I chose to create all of these patios, covered and open areas and terraces so that clients may have a nice environment . All of the gardens and flowers make a relaxing space to enjoy. The location is as you stated is very convenient for all of the attractions here in San Jose. The part of your review I really like is " The art, ironwork and ambiance make this place a distinct contrast to chain hotels." Wonderful that you enjoyed it so much . Thank you very much Thomas
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have stayed in San Jose before. In fact this is our third trip to Costa Rica. I can honestly say that this is the best hotel that we have stayed at in San Jose. The hotel staff was very helpful and our room was clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Len, nice, you just say it all very short , concise and to the point. Great review, look forward to your next visit and remember the best price is found on our hotel web site. Thank You Thomas
Sterling Heights, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas on Feb. 22nd, 2013. It was a great point to walk to the downtown area or relax in their pool and hot tub. Our second floor room was spacious, clean and had a very nice bath and tiled shower. The breakfast was tasty and filling with several options from which to choose. Thomas, the owner was present at breakfast and was very helpful answering questions about the area. They have a tour operations desk in their lobby to help set up day tours and travel. We didn't use their help, but wish we had as our week in other parts of the country progressed.
We really enjoyed our stay. It was like an oasis in the city. We parked our car in their guarded lot next door for $11 a day. Daytime walking around town was good. It is not advisable to walk anywhere in San Jose after the crowds thin out in the evening.
We recommend this hotel. If we return to San Jose we will stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor. Our room looked more modern and had less traffic passing by it that...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Timjan 1995, Your title “An oasis in the city” is what many clients say. Our tour desk and all front desk staff are well trained to assist clients 24/7 with what ever is required . This has always been my hotel philosophy and I make sure it is carried over to my staff. You are correct the new rooms upstairs are are great bargain. Wonderful to know you will return. Warmest Regards Thomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose
Aranjuez Hotel
Aranjuez Hotel
#12 of 85 in San Jose
4.5 of 5 stars 672 reviews

Been to Hotel Santo Tomas? Share your experiences!