“Extremely comfortable great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Santo Tomas to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Tomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue 7 Between Streets 3 and 5 | 250 Meters West from INS Building, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Hot Breakfast & WI-F
Ranked #9 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Chicago, Illinois
“Extremely comfortable great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This place was the best place to be. Extremely friendly people make all the difference. It is safe and secure, the food is good especially the breakfast, and it is not that expensive.

I am a young female traveling alone, and I wanted to feel safe and secure. This hotel was perfect for my budget and the people I met were so wonderful, even though I stayed for only a few days

I will recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Jose for a long time.

• Stayed March 2013
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hola Evan, Great having you stay and your are correct, I train my staff to be extra sensitive to the traveling female clients . We know that you want first of all safe, clean and a friendly environment . Please come back to visit . Thomas

554 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a great stay at Hotel Santo Tomas in January 2013. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and run by very friendly staff. We met Thomas himself at breakfast on our second day at the hotel and he could not have been more friendly. He even gave us advice on driving to various locations while in Costa Rica (we would probably have got lost otherwise). The hotel is in a safe neighborhood and has plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. The included breakfast is excellent - be sure to get the gallo pinto (rice and beans) with some house-made hot sauce over the top. We will hopefully stay again in the future. - James

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and a view of the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hola James, Great to hear that you had a wonderful vacation here in Costa Rica and also that the Hotel Santo Tomas provided you with outstanding service for value. Your title is very much appreciated by me, “A great hotel in central San Jose” that is exactly what we strive for. Also very pleasing that you enjoyed our free breakfast , it really is a nice added value to the hotel, especially since we have rooms for two from around $52.00 US dollars with Free Wi-Fi. Hope you return and please send us all your friends from the Great Down Under !! Thomas
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

For 60$USD/night i wouldn't have expected more. To begin with the positive features of this hotel, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. I stored my luggage with Santo Tomas on more than one occasion throughout my travels in Costa Rica between stays and it was always safe, secure and not disturbed in anyway. This served was a great convenience and i was very grateful that my belongings remained safe until i made it back! This hotel is solid and trustworthy!!

On the down side, the rooms are dated which did not bother me, except it appears that the floor of my room was never washed in a very long time. There was a clean area carpet that covered 2/3 of the walkable area of the room but the remainder of the floor was extremely filthy and my socks were quickly ruined. Other than this, the rest of the hotel was clean and i observed it being cleaned daily.

I stayed here on a few occasions and will probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hola Florence007, Glad to hear that you used us as your home base in Costa Rica , many of our guests do, the free baggage storage make it easy along with the quick laundry service. With respect to the floor in you room , you were in one of my economy rooms and dated it is , the house was built in 1908 and the floors are original hand made tiles. They have been photographed and registered with the Costa Rica Historical Society. I have stripped the old wax off of the floor since receiving your review and I believe this should alleviate the situation, I apologize for that. Looking forward to your next visit. Thomas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Santo Thomas offered a nice hotel at reasonable prices. I have no real complaints. The hotel room and amentites were nice. The hotel staff was receptive. I would recommend this hotel.

I can say, however, that there are better values in San Jose. The location of Santo Thomas is in a seedy part of town; not good for conservative travelers who are offended by prostitution or for those who enjoy walking around town in the evening. The hotel staff was not as helpful or recptive with service or tourist information as some other hotels. Some some nicer and more centrally located hotels can be found in San Jose at the same price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hi David, nice hotel at reasonable prices is a very good summation of what we offer. I don't understand about my staff not being receptive or helpful, that is what we really concentrate on, as many many reviews substantiate. I will have a chat with them to reinforce our policies, sorry about that. Thomas
York, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

As the general manager for a tour company, I have to praise the front desk highly for their efforts to help our group enjoy their stay at this hotel. While there were a few hitches, as with any hotel, the front staff's effort made up for a strong push to give it a 4 star rating.

Starting with the location which was perfect enough to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Central Avenue, but yet, easy to walk to, a merely 4 blocks away. This hotel was a bit dated but nevertheless kept its' charm with the furniture and decor and flat screen TVs.

As for the rooms themselves, we stayed here two separate occasions on our tour, and I enjoyed my second room, number 22 more than number 11. Likewise, with a few of our members, they enjoyed staying in room number 8 more than room number 2.

Each room is different, and has their own certain appeal. So it can be a hit or miss with the rooms unless you specify what you are looking for and whether it is available.

As for breakfast, it is included but it is NOT a buffet. It is the same menu every day, and you are charged for a second plate. Our group was fine with that because we certainly ate well on this trip. There is a restaurant at the hotel for dinner but we did not dine there so I cannot comment on that.

There is a bar with bar food across the street for those who are price-conscious and we certainly recommend it. The food there was pretty good. There is also an AM/PM store right around the corner (go left when you exit the hotel).

The only two downside I would say to this hotel is the lack of modern safe (their safes were a lock and key instead of a digital strongbox) and the quality of the neighborhood after dark. While we did not have any issues walking at night, do not be surprised to find prostitutes hanging out on the corner.

Room Tip: Room number 22 was far much better than room number 11 for a standard single/double bed, with a view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hi MarkDeafTravel, Thanks for your positive comments, I am happy to know that everyone had a very positive experience. Hoping you will return in the future.
Warmest Regards Thomas
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is in a scary area down town. Rooms are large and dated. Some reviews mentioned antiques - these are not antiques, but beat up and dated reproductions. Coverlets on the beds are old and worn out. Yes, rooms have high ceilings. But showers don't have showerheads - literally, it's just a pipe sticking from out of a wall. It is very noisy. I would never stay here again, its plain 2 stars in my opinion. There is a American chain hotel 2 blocks away. If you absolutely have to stay downtown - that's a better bet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hi Wtravel66, As other reviewers have stated, we are located only four blocks from Central Avenue , the main pedestrian walk street where , the Gold Museum, National Theater, National Museum and many other local attractions are found. I located your reservation and you selected our cheapest room , the economy at $52.00 US dollars including breakfast for two. I apologize it was not pleasing for you. The same is available across the street at the soda for an $8.00 charge per person. All of the hotel furniture is King Louie the XV reproductions in solid mahogany, from a wonderful company established here in Costa Rica in 1906. It is owned by the Urgelles & Penon family. Our ex-president Oscar Arias's family and is world known for it's fine furniture. The front desk that welcomes our clients is the same one the president of the country uses. Clear glass is on all of the top surfaces for protection and lends an air of elegance. You are correct on the showers, a chrome tube does comes out of the wall and has a shower head on it. We are green compliant with water saver shower heads, it does not provide a solid shot of wasteful water. I did not realize they were noisy , I apologize for that and will have my maintenance department check them. We also were just certified in January 2013 by the Costa Rica Tourist board. A score of 344 points out of 500 were awarded to us. This represents a 3.5 start rating. Again I apologize that we were not able to satisfy you. Thomas
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nice hotel. Nothing Special. Owner greeted guests in the morning which was a nice touch.
Breakfast was a little skimpy. Nice pool. Not a bad value for San Jose. Hotel has charm not found in bigger box hotels,

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hola Perufirst, Nice and Charming is a good title , thank you for that. Yes the charm and personalized service is something you won't find in bigger box hotels. Most of our clients select the Santo Tomas, just because it is not a box hotel. Built in 1908 and declared a Historical Landmark , it now includes the new section upstairs with balcony view rooms. Throw in the pool, hot jacuzzi, gardens, happy hour from 4 to 7 and yes that makes us a great value in San Jose. Again Thanks Perufirst for your comments . Thomas

Been to Hotel Santo Tomas? Share your experiences!