“TripAdvisor reviewers were right on, again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Santo Tomas to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Tomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue 7 Between Streets 3 and 5 | 250 Meters West from INS Building, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Hot Breakfast & WI-F
Ranked #9 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Durham, North Carolina
“TripAdvisor reviewers were right on, again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Before we chose the Hotel Santo Tomas, we read all the reviews on TripAdvisor, as we now do before traveling anywhere. Once again, our thoughts on this delightful and inexpensive boutique hotel were mirrored by others who have stayed there and been welcomed by the genial host and owner, Thomas. Rarely do you get a personal welcome from a hotel owner. Thomas, who has lived in North Carolina like us, was there every day of our week long stay to see that everything was good and we were comfortable. (Ask him about his varied life!) He and his staff were always ready with suggestions as to where to sightsee or go for more physical activities (ziplining and white-water rafting are big). The hotel staff were all friendly, the room comfortable and cleaned daily, and the free breakfast dining area provided a nice way to meet some of the other guests each morning and swap stories. The WI-FI is excellent, everyone seemed to have an iPad or laptop. It was great to just sit back and check email, play word games, solitaire, or whatever (while resting up from your sightseeing !).

The location is conveniently within walking distance of most of the interesting places in old downtown San Jose. We recommend the city van tour, also. The front desk folks are helpful with arranging that and any other tours or car rental. The stairs to the second floor rooms are steep, though my wife and I and my brother all made numerous ups and downs over the week and considered that our exercise (didn't go into the nice exercise room!) The upstairs rooms are newer and cost just a bit more, worth it for the nice balcony or terrace you have, with comfy chairs/sofas. The large terrace is covered, enjoys cool breezes, and you don't need AC in the rooms because it's always 60-80 degrees day or night! Thank you, Thomas, Carlos, and staff, for an enjoyable week! Highly recommended as a good value, with great service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hola Mr and Mrs Goodwin, It was wonderful having you and friends stay with us here. I really enjoy being there in the breakfast area and meeting clients and hearing their stories , sharing mine and helping in any way possible. Carlos Santana says it the best ( Be nice to Someone) I try to live it everyday !!! It's great you had such a wonderful experience here in Costa Rica and I hope to see everyone again in the not too distant future. A big Thank You from : Thomas

554 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We chose this hotel sight unseen and were very pleased. The welcome received from Miguel-a charming, efficient young man- who checked us in was replicated by other cheerful employees and by the Owner. Our first room was in the historic section of the hotel, after which we chose to move to a balcony room in the new part, overlooking the swimming pool and terrace. The location of the hotel is close to museums, restaurants, and the downtown shopping area. We have previously stayed in several hotels in San Jose, all to our liking, but have booked to return to this one because of its friendliness and its location.
Dr. Joan and Dr. Graeme Mount, Canada

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Dr. Joan and Dr. Graeme, Well what can I say , thumbs up from two doctors says it all about cleanliness and your other great comments about my staff just tops off your fine review. I genuinely appreciate your kind words about my staff especially Miguel, he is a fine young man providing wonderful service along with the rest of my team. Our balcony rooms located in the new section upstairs, have volcano views and are bright and airy. Free Wi-Fi is everywhere and all guests have to do is log in to the strongest signal from one of four different routers strategically placed through the hotel, all using the same password. Again a heartfelt thank you from Thomas
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked one night in the Hotel Santo Tomas upon my arrival in San Jose. There seems to be a choice of either very expensive or very cheap hotels in San Jose with not a lot of good mid-range hotels.
Pros: It's an older hotel with character - nice old furnishings tastefully arranged. Those used to typical North American hotels will be disappointed. It has a restaurant, gym, pool and jacuzzi. There's also lots of little nooks with sofas or patio space for those looking for a bit of privacy. There's patios on the ground floor, an enclosed patio on the second floor, and balconies on some rooms on the third floor, so one can enjoy the great weather. My single room was small, but had a renovated bathroom, flatscreen TV and lockable cupboard for valuables. Location is good - about 4 blocks to the heart of downtown. While some have said the area is a bit sketchy at night, I would say that that would hold true for most areas of San Jose. There's a gleaming 4-star Holiday Inn a block away, so it can't be that bad an area. Free wifi and friendly staff are also pluses.
Cons: it's located on a fairly noisy street, and walls are pretty thin, so earplugs would be helpful to have. No aircon in my room, just a ceiling fan (I didn't need one, but could imagine a steamy summer's night may benefit from aircon). Breakfast is included but it's pretty sparse. The restaurant menu is unexciting and it's cheaper to eat across the street where there is a local restaurant and a bar that is cheaper. Bring your own toiletries - they only supply little bars of soap.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my choice, and would certainly stay here again if I return to San Jose. It is good value for San Jose.

• Stayed January 2013
Hola Rich Peasant from Canada, The title of your review ( “Good value hotel in the heart of San Jose” ) and your Trip Advisor name signify that we are providing a champagne experience on a beer budget. Hey who doesn't want that ! In San Jose, we are located at 3600 ft. elevation and you did stay here during our summer . This is as steamy as it gets. The 15 foot high ceilings along with the fans create just the right temperature. My new rooms located upstairs are just a few dollars more and are very quiet. I was disappointed that you did not find any plates on our menu for the one night you stayed interesting. We offer a broad selection of dishes such as Beef, Pasta, Chicken, Fish and Pork.. Many guests find the prices combined with the portions and quality to be an outstanding value. Manuel my chef of more than 30 years experience has worked at the Marriott and Intercontinental to name two fine establishments. We are not as cheap as the soda in the front, don't load our food with salt and pork fat and clients will have plenty beans and rice before their trip is over. Wonderful to hear that you would certainly stay here again and I hope you will give my restaurant El Oasis a chance next time. Warmest Regards Thomas
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 6 days and found every aspect of the service superb from the staff at the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the restaurant staff to the on-site owners. Exceptionally clean. Knowledgeable friendly staff. Short walk to the heart of San Jose. Very safe neighborhood. Very good restaurant on site but large variety close by also. Our favorite ..the Colombian restaurant right across the street.

Room Tip: They're all nice and even the smallest seems very large with the high ceilings throughout. Stay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KWPaul, Your title of ( “Great Location and Great Value” ) I think is something most travelers in my hotel category are looking for and I am happy we did not disappoint you. Again thank you for your most excellent review and safe travels ! Thomas
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

The owner is an American expat that built it 25 years ago. He has a great knoiwledge of the area for the first timers as I was. It is not a 5 star hotel but the care and kindness of the staff is. The hotel is clean and severs a great free breakfast. I will go back !

• Stayed January 2013
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
All Right my Man in Tacoma ! Thanks so much for the kind words and fine review . Looking forward to your return and we will keep it clean along with the 5 star service. Safe Travels Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

As a single woman traveling, I was a little nervous of taking off and coming to Costa Rica. The staff at hotel Santo Tomas took all of my fears and hesitations away. Ricardo"s warm welcome and happy personality immediately set me at ease. Doris helped me through a tour mix up and made sure that I was both taken care of and able to go on the tour... THANK YOU! Tomas the vibrant owner who created the hotel has a personality that naturally draws people to him, thorough knowledge of the country and a willingness to share it to make travelers stays both easy and fun.
The food in the restaurant was always fresh and delicious. My only warning is that the servings are big so you had better come hungry.
My room was always clean and obviously well cared for. People here clearly take pride in their work and as a first time visitor that was very appreciated!
As for noise, I slept the first night for eleven hours with no ear plugs and heard nothing.
Visiting Costa Rica was my dream. Thank you to all the staff at the Hotel Santo Tomas for helping to make my dream into a reality and for making me feel at home! I can"t wait to come back and would highly recommend this hotel!!!!!
Monica

• Stayed January 2013
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi Monica, Outstanding ! you had such a memorable and happy experience here with us, exactly what I am striving to do with everyone of our guests. All of my staff works very hard as a team to create the environment that you enjoyed. We are really a safe haven for any travelers that requires assistance of any type and personalized service, something missing from so much of our life today. Everything you described is greatly appreciated by myself and staff. I have alerted them to your fine review and most have read it and send their personal thanks to you . Warmest Regards Thomas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel and especially the restaurant which is under advertised . Chef Manuel provides a wide array of excellent dishes. A must is the sea bass which is provided several different ways...all delicious!

• Stayed January 2013
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Hola Freddy, that is a nice term to be pleasantly surprised, many clients say just that , from walking into the hotel to the fine food and drinks provided by Manuel ( 58 years old and has worked at the Marriott and Intercontinental just to name a few ! ) along with Carlo's drinks. We don't want to forget either my well trained front desk staff consisting of Miguel. Jose, Mauricio and last but not least Doris. On service 24/7 to assist with any thing our clients may require from bus schedules to car rentals and full tour services. Again Freddy a big Thank you from Thomas Warmest Regards

Been to Hotel Santo Tomas? Share your experiences!