“PERFECTO!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

You added Hotel Santo Tomas to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Tomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue 7 Between Streets 3 and 5 | 250 Meters West from INS Building, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
BOOK DIRECT & SAVE 10%
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Seattle, Washington
“PERFECTO!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We started and ended our two-week vacation here. SO glad we did.

The setting is serene in the midst of the San Jose bustle. Being off the main drag allows some quiet for a good night's rest. The pool/restaurant area was amazing to walk into after a long flight and Carlos served up a cold local beer. Heaven. The room was adorable and a great value for the price. There's HOT WATER, also an extra added bonus after traveling all day. The bed was so comfortable, quite a luxury in CR.

I could not have been happier with the delicious breakfast. Fresh fruit, rice, black beans, toast and eggs. The spicey pickled vegetables and house-made hot sauce stole the show. In addition to the wonderful Costa Rican coffee, it was perfect.

The company was superb. Happy guests make friendly neighbors and the staff were gracious and helpful.

I could not have been more pleased with our choice to stay at Hotel Santo Tomas. It's so tough to make a good decision when booking your trip, but I swear by this hotel. I peaked into several of the other rooms and was so impressed. High ceilings, old style charm and very clean. I'd recommend a room on the pool side for the sunlight factor, we had one downstairs which was great. The other rooms were so gorgeous though, I honestly don't think we would have noticed a difference.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hola Patti, WOW what a wonderful review and I am so happy you had an outstanding experience here at the Hotel Santo Tomas. All of my staff from , Erwin, Carlos, Doris , Miguel, Mauricio, Jose and many others are part of a team that work together everyday to make sure it just goes right. Its very rewarding to me personally that you enjoyed the free breakfast. I have hot water tanks strategically located through the hotel so that there is almost always hot water. All of the mattresses are new and comfy. A big personal thank you from me for the great comments . Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family spent 2 nights in San Jose prior to leaving Costa Rica. We ate at the restaurant the first night. The food was tasty.

The rooms were beautifully decorated, beds comfortable. The service was excellent and the pool and hot tub were fun! There's a slide from one to the other.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi Debora, your title is what many guests have said about the hotel in the past as well. Once behind the doors it a totally different atmosphere, what with the floral gardens and pool and jacuzzi. The location is such that you can walk to everything, only four blocks to central avenue the main street in San Jose. All of your other comments are what I believe guests are looking for in a hotel, glad to know we delivered. Thanks so much for you recommendations . Warmest Regards Thomas
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas for New Year’s 2012/13, and it was a great place for us. The hotel is owned by a long-time resident of the country, although he was originally from the United States. He has put lots of effort into making this a nice place to stay, and his hospitality is evident by his attention to each visitor and his willingness to do anything to help you have a good time in San Jose and Costa Rica overall. The rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds, and the hot shower was perfect after a swim in the pool/spa on a cool December evening (a note that the hot water in the showers take a bit to get there at night when no one has been using it so be patient). Although the hotel is on the edge of the main part of San Jose, we felt generally secure and had a very safe place to park our car during our stay (something like $11/night). Also, because it is near city center, it means a quick walk gets you to everything in city center that you would want to go to. The free breakfast is nothing fancy but still nice (gallo pinto, eggs, toast, juice, and fruit), and the staff were all courteous and helpful. Also, a note that the wireless internet in our rooms was not the best. They did have wired internet too but we were not able to use it given there is not a connection on a MacBook Air. Oh, for good wireless internet... In total though, this was definitely a very good place to stay for the price and helped us enjoy our time in the capital city of Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hola Nicmonson, Very nice, complete review and I really do like what I am doing ! Must be from my southern background of Alabama and North Carolina heritage. Wonderful that you had a great experience here for your New Year. I am pretty much everyday in the breakfast area to meet and greet clients and just help them with whatever they need. All of my staff are trained as well and we provide full service 24/7 , something that most small hotel don't do. A big Thank You from me for such an outstanding review of the hotel and services.
Best Wishes Thomas
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We really enjoyed staying in Santo Tomas for 2 days. There are some great public areas including the pool which are great for relaxing outside of your room. We stayed in a really nice 'deluxe' room on the upper floors which was really nice and then a cheaper room downstairs the next night which was obviously much smaller. The inclusive breakfast was adequate and the restaurant staff were always nice which goes a long way. We ate dinner 1 night in the restaurant and it was ok. Met Tomas a few times and he was very nice. Very fast wifi available throughout the hotel. Location is only 1 block from a large supermarket.
Definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: There is a big difference between the room types in size, comfort and price so bear this in mind whe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Dale S. from Australia, Hope the rest of your walkabout goes well and happy we could help you with your travels in Costa Rica. The hotel does offer several different areas , that are open and covered as well a nice hot jacuzzi and pool, by the restaurant. There are 5 different routers located in the hotel , but they all use the same password, just log on to the strongest signal , no matter where you are and you will have great WiFi speed ! Thanks so much for the definite recommendation, good info for our clients . Warmest Regards Thomas
na
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

nice central city hotel, book only the renovated rooms, breakfast is not great (another guest asked for a second piece of toast and was denied), dinner is slightly better but not much -- typical casados. Otherwise service was ok. One of us missed a flight connection and the hotel didn't charge us for that night. Prices seemed adequate.

(4 for the rooms and service, but only 2 for the food)

Room Tip: book only the renovated rooms
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi Christoph O, Thanks for the review that you placed. Most likely you stayed in our cheapest room at around 58.00 US for two including our free hot cooked breakfast. We do not advertise a free buffet, but our free hot cooked breakfast does consist of , fresh Costa Rican coffee or tea , two fresh juices, a fruit plate, toast, jam, eggs cooked to order, gallo pinto ( a Costa Rica breakfast dish ) and hot and curry based spices for the meal. Our dinner menu does not list a typical casado, but if you requested one, than my chef will make it. We do offer, chicken, pork , fish , pastas and beef , with such plates as , Almond Chicken Breast, Chicken Cacciatore, Normandy White Sea Bass, ect.ect and more international dishes. It quite pleases me to know that you thought our prices were adequate, most clients comment here on Trip Advisor , that selection, portion, price and quality are very good. I remember giving the free night away to the person that missed their connection , about a $58.00 value, I thought it was a nice gesture to help the group. Again I apologize for not being able to meet your standards, I will continue to try harder. Warmest Regards Thomas
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 9 days in February. I used it as a base for taking day trips in all directions of the city. Thomas and his staff were very helpful in sitting down with me and planning out those trips. I also had a great time walking around the downtown area which is within a few blocks of the hotel. My room was on the first floor and I found it quite adequate. Although dated, it was clean, had hot water in the shower, WiFi, TV, in room safe, and I felt it was quiet. The breakfasts were basic but filling. I would stay there again and will recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
A big shout out to Seattle Solo Traveler from Costa Rica. How nice it makes me feel that after such a time you went and placed such a fine review. That just means we did it right and created wonderful memories and an outstanding experience ! That is what travel is all about, I have traveled the word and know how important it is sometimes just a smile and friendly atmosphere can be. Your comments about being a ( Great Value and Location ) are just two of the items that just keeps new clients coming and returning along with the Free WI-Fi , Hot cooked breakfast, pool and jacuzzi, to name a few more! Again, a heartfelt thank you for you excellent review. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Although we only stayed for 1 night before catching a bus to nicoya, Santo Tomas was peaceful, with great food, incredibly friendly English speaking staff and the most comfy bed I have slept in in a long time.

I would definately recommend it and will certainly stay there on my return to San Jose.

Well recomended.

• Stayed December 2012
Hola Anthony, Thanks so much for taking the time to place your positive comments. In a very short , concise sentence you have summed up what most travelers are looking in a hotel ! I hope you are able to stay with us on your return trip out of Costa Rica. Warmest Regards Thomas

Been to Hotel Santo Tomas? Share your experiences!