“quick stay but nice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“quick stay but nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

we only spent two nights separately there one when we flew in and another a week later before we flew out. Cant say much for the area...but I'm not sure if all of san jose is like that. it was a plus that it was located close to bus stations. but the hotel we found to be really nice for the price..clean, comfortable, and a really nice shower. also the breakfast is amazing for being included! the only down side was the wifi went in and out

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ft.Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed two nights. The room was large, the bathroom functional and the price is great.
Perfect stay downtown San Jose for some nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is old and it shows, needs some renovation and upgrading but one can not ask more
for the very economical price.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Warrenton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel was centrally located. The room was worn down, mulitple updates necessary, the only thing that worked perfectly was the air conditioning. It served its purpose for 2 nights, since it was just for sleeping. Ruben Murillo, the doorman was very informative and helpful throught the stay. He actually made the hotel more welcoming. Recommend staying there for maybe a night or two, but no more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hurst, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked a king room for 4 nights at Hotel Europa for a March visit to Costa Rica. Online booking was easy and I received several e-mail confirmations before my stay. Check-in was a little slow but overall service was adequate.
The hotel is old and prides itself as being the oldest hotel in the city. It is definitely in need of some refurbishment but room was clean and a/c worked well. Water pressure in the shower was practically non-existent but water was hot. Internet was usually reliable but went out for one full day with no explanation available from front desk...."it's just not working."
Complimentary breakfast in the morning was very good and a great way to start the day. Staff in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.
If you have a car, while there is valet parking available I was never able to locate the exact lot the hotel uses and got several different sets of directions. There is plenty of guarded parking the the neighborhood so it didn't really make much of a difference although my understanding was that hotel parking was free.
As for the location, it is right in the middle of the city and it's very easy to walk to nearby attractions, shopping, restaurants, etc. The area is quite dicey in the evening so some caution should be exercised if you choose to be out late. Taxis are cheap and easy to get in this area, just be sure you ask the driver to use the meter before you go anywhere. Hotel staff was quite helpful in getting me a taxi to the airport upon my departure.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and found the hotel to be a good value with a great location. Don't expect too much as far as luxury or amenities and you'll be just fine. Would stay at Hotel Europa again if I needed to be in the downtown area.

Room Tip: Try to get a king room on the 3rd floor. My understanding is that the basic rooms are quite small a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good place to say for the money. It's an older hotel, but they keep it clean. Did not use the outdoor pool, too many leaves the day I tried. I was happy the A/C unit in my room worked well (I like it cold). Online I booked a king bed room for myself but upon arrival I was notified there were no more kings available, instead they gave me a room with three single beds. The only thing that I would change would be the mattress... very hard. If you are a light sleeper try to get a room away from the street, the car horns are honking 24/7. To get the key to the room safe they charge $3 per day. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked a room for 2 weeks at the Europa. I left after 2 days. I arrived to find there was no internet working in my room. The reception desk informed me the internet didn't reach that far and they would change my room the next day. The following day I was told that no I couldn't change rooms as there were no other rooms available.
I was desperate for cup of tea but there are no kettles or coffee makers supplied. I asked the reception desk for one and they told me to buy it myself from a shop.
There was no hot water on day one and on day two there was no water at all. I couldn't even flush the toilet!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Devon, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Europa on two different occasions during our holiday - for 3 nights at the start of our trip and then for 2 nights at the end of the trip.
It was incredibly cheap and for one of the nights we only paid £20 (internet deal) for a large double room including breakfast. But it's cheap for a reason - the rooms were very basic and there weren't any luxuries or nice views.
In our first room the drains in the bathroom were just holes in the floor and were prone to flooding the room and the toilet got blocked up easily. However, it was fairly clean and there was a built-in fan to keep the room cool.
The breakfast was really good and there was a choice of hot food and freshly cooked eggs which changed daily (omelets, scrambled eggs etc) as well as cereal, fresh fruit and juice.
You can't fault the central location as it's close to the main pedestrian street and local attractions. We didn't use the casino but it looked ok (mainly slot machines). The pool was being refurbished whilst we were there so hopefully it'll look a bit better when it's finished.
The room we had on our second stay was much better than the first one as it was bigger and the shower was much better so that improved our opinion of the hotel.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a long stay but as a stop over for a few nights it's fine, especially if you can find a good price like we did.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor seemed smaller than the others - the second and third floor rooms were...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!