“Just the basics in San Jose” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #73 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Orlando, Florida
“Just the basics in San Jose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good place to say for the money. It's an older hotel, but they keep it clean. Did not use the outdoor pool, too many leaves the day I tried. I was happy the A/C unit in my room worked well (I like it cold). Online I booked a king bed room for myself but upon arrival I was notified there were no more kings available, instead they gave me a room with three single beds. The only thing that I would change would be the mattress... very hard. If you are a light sleeper try to get a room away from the street, the car horns are honking 24/7. To get the key to the room safe they charge $3 per day. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked a room for 2 weeks at the Europa. I left after 2 days. I arrived to find there was no internet working in my room. The reception desk informed me the internet didn't reach that far and they would change my room the next day. The following day I was told that no I couldn't change rooms as there were no other rooms available.
I was desperate for cup of tea but there are no kettles or coffee makers supplied. I asked the reception desk for one and they told me to buy it myself from a shop.
There was no hot water on day one and on day two there was no water at all. I couldn't even flush the toilet!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Devon, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Europa on two different occasions during our holiday - for 3 nights at the start of our trip and then for 2 nights at the end of the trip.
It was incredibly cheap and for one of the nights we only paid £20 (internet deal) for a large double room including breakfast. But it's cheap for a reason - the rooms were very basic and there weren't any luxuries or nice views.
In our first room the drains in the bathroom were just holes in the floor and were prone to flooding the room and the toilet got blocked up easily. However, it was fairly clean and there was a built-in fan to keep the room cool.
The breakfast was really good and there was a choice of hot food and freshly cooked eggs which changed daily (omelets, scrambled eggs etc) as well as cereal, fresh fruit and juice.
You can't fault the central location as it's close to the main pedestrian street and local attractions. We didn't use the casino but it looked ok (mainly slot machines). The pool was being refurbished whilst we were there so hopefully it'll look a bit better when it's finished.
The room we had on our second stay was much better than the first one as it was bigger and the shower was much better so that improved our opinion of the hotel.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a long stay but as a stop over for a few nights it's fine, especially if you can find a good price like we did.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor seemed smaller than the others - the second and third floor rooms were...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San José
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

i felt like there were a lot of people hanging around in the lobbies, and the room's appearance was average. There was no chair for the desk. Wifi was in and out. But I got sleep and it was cheap for a hotel, so that was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

While everyone is complaining Hotel Europa is 1 of the best hotels you can stay at when visiting San Jose the hotel is at 3 star hotel that deserves 4 stars the service was okay the hotel prices were excellent I was barely in my hotel room so I only needed the hotel to Sleep In at Night. if you're traveling to Costa Rica to live in expensive hotel's then maybe you need to reevaluate why you really went! in short, the hotel is perfect for the budget traveler and people who I have a lot of things planned for their stay

• Stayed March 2013
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning and end of a tour of Costa Rica. It wasn't a welcoming experience. The hotel is shabby, the staff pretty surly, and the decor unloved and in need of renovation. The lift had, apparently, been out of action for at least a fortnight before we arrived, and still had not been fixed when we returned two weeks later - a real problem, especially as no help was offered to take bags upstairs (even though I am disabled). If you can put up with all this, it is fairly cheap and in a good central location

Room Tip: Higher floors have, we were advised, better rooms, of stairs aren't a problem for you
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

THis was a short stop for us in San Jose as we began our adventure in Costa Rica. The hotel was uninviting, smokey, dimly lit. The air conditioner was loud at night. It was ok in cleanliness, but not appealing in the least and not what it looked like on line at all. The front desk person spoke English but didn't seem too friendly. Breakfast was provided. For $50 we didn't think it was worth the money but I'm not sure how expensive other hotels in downtown San Jose are. However I think you could definitely find better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!