“A basic hotel with buffet breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #71 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Home
“A basic hotel with buffet breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a good hotel for the money if you make your reservation with Hotwire or a website reservation. I wouldn't pay the room rack rate of $80-$100, but making reservations online with Hotwire I have paid as little as $35 per night for a room with 2 double beds, air conditioning, tv, hot water, etc. and buffet breakfast. This hotel is not the most modern, and probably could use a refresher on carpeting, and furniture, but everything is clean and decent quality. This is not an upper end, very expensive, tourist hotel. This is a basic hotel. The hotel staff pay good attention to details. We have always brought our kids, and they have never been a problem here. The kids get a breakfast buffet ticket with our reservation if they are mentioned in the online hotel purchase. It is also very central to San Jose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

For the value, this could very easily be the best hotel in downtown San Jose. It's been open for over 100 years and the customer service is very good. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There is a restaurant with good food, a bar and also a pool if you want to relax for a little while during the day. The area can get a little bit noisy during the day but that's how San Jose is. It's a city with busses, taxis, and cars riding along the streets all day long. The staff is very courteous and the hotel is kept very clean throughout the day. There is a casino attached to the hotel. A huge benefit of this hotel is that they provide a free buffet breakfast which is very excellent. They cooked eggs every day along with a few other hot items to choose from. In addition, they served fruit cups, cereal, toast with butter and jelly, orange juice, coffee and water. This could easily be a 7 dollar breakfast, which you are getting for free. Rooms are cleaned every single day and they do a very nice job. If you are looking for a hotel with good amenities for a very good value, this is the place to stay. The location is also only a few blocks from central avenue where all the shops and restaurants are. If you are looking for a hotel with nice clean rooms, a friendly, courteous staff, good food, a pool, free buffet breakfast in a central location, then definitely stay at this hotel. I give them my highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Grapevine, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Aug 31 & Sept 1. When I checked in, I paid with my CC for the two days. I had a very early flight on the 2nd and called for a taxi to pick me up at the hotel at 6:00AM. Upon checkout, the clerk stated that I owed for one night. I told him that I had paid for both nights at checkin. He stated that it was not correct that I owed one more night.

Rather than miss my flight I decided to pay him and clear it up later. I gave him the same credit card I had used at checkin and the clerk said he could not process credit cards and I would have to pay in cash. I did not like it but nneded to get going so I paid cash.

Upon returning home, I pulled up my CC statement and verified I had paid for the two nights.

I sent an email to the hotel requesting that one night be credited to my CC. They did not respond to my email. I resent the email again, no reply. I resent it a third time, still no reply.

My next step is to report the hotel to the CR Tourism Board.

I am not so concerned about the money as I am about the arrogance to ignore my emails.

BEWARE!!!

Ben, Bedford, TX

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and has a good breakfast BUT be sure to check the amenities offered in your hotel reservation since the room quality differs quite a bit... so what is promised like 32inch TV, AC, etc is not necessarily delivered unless you raise hell and who wants to do that on a vacation...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you are used to staying at fancy hotels, this isn't it, a little worn around the edges, but it's very cheap especially if you use Aadvantage miles to book. We had 3 people and the beds were comfortable and the airconditioning cold. Has a private pool, a Casino, and is centrally located in the middle of town. The breakfast is large and plentiful. The staff is friendly. Just don't expect fancy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jaco, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've stayed in several downtown hotels in Costa Rica and every time it was a little sketchy. I booked this hotel online for $42 a night with breakfast included. The lobby was very nice, restaurant was good and the breakfast was out of the world considering it was included. Made to order eggs and typical Tico fare with coffee and juice. The room had two double beds and was clean. I absolutely would stay here again and would recommend this to anyone that wants to be close to the downtown action in a hotel that makes you feel comfortable in a seedy area. Only real negative is they have no parking and your on your own to find it. There is one 24 hour secured parking lot we used 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room not on the street no matter what hotel you stay in in San Jose although I had...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Hardly a honeymoon suite; booked this back in January, but did not get all the features of the honeymoon package offered. Also, got a giant cockroach, non-functional table light, and then we moved to another room, and it had no air condition, and then moved to another room, which at the end, was not bad, but at least in satisfactory condition. HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED. Reporting live on location at the hotel as I write this review. We played musical rooms. We will not recommend this hotel at all. 3.5 circles is an overstatement of how good it is. It is not anything close! We haven't had breakfast yet and I'm worrying even about the quality. We haven't got a wake-up call yet even we requested one.

Room Tip: Choose a better hotel, not a better room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!