“Watch them, they will rip you off” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Travelocity CheapTickets.com
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #66 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Grapevine, Texas
“Watch them, they will rip you off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Aug 31 & Sept 1. When I checked in, I paid with my CC for the two days. I had a very early flight on the 2nd and called for a taxi to pick me up at the hotel at 6:00AM. Upon checkout, the clerk stated that I owed for one night. I told him that I had paid for both nights at checkin. He stated that it was not correct that I owed one more night.

Rather than miss my flight I decided to pay him and clear it up later. I gave him the same credit card I had used at checkin and the clerk said he could not process credit cards and I would have to pay in cash. I did not like it but nneded to get going so I paid cash.

Upon returning home, I pulled up my CC statement and verified I had paid for the two nights.

I sent an email to the hotel requesting that one night be credited to my CC. They did not respond to my email. I resent the email again, no reply. I resent it a third time, still no reply.

My next step is to report the hotel to the CR Tourism Board.

I am not so concerned about the money as I am about the arrogance to ignore my emails.

BEWARE!!!

Ben, Bedford, TX

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and has a good breakfast BUT be sure to check the amenities offered in your hotel reservation since the room quality differs quite a bit... so what is promised like 32inch TV, AC, etc is not necessarily delivered unless you raise hell and who wants to do that on a vacation...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you are used to staying at fancy hotels, this isn't it, a little worn around the edges, but it's very cheap especially if you use Aadvantage miles to book. We had 3 people and the beds were comfortable and the airconditioning cold. Has a private pool, a Casino, and is centrally located in the middle of town. The breakfast is large and plentiful. The staff is friendly. Just don't expect fancy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jaco, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've stayed in several downtown hotels in Costa Rica and every time it was a little sketchy. I booked this hotel online for $42 a night with breakfast included. The lobby was very nice, restaurant was good and the breakfast was out of the world considering it was included. Made to order eggs and typical Tico fare with coffee and juice. The room had two double beds and was clean. I absolutely would stay here again and would recommend this to anyone that wants to be close to the downtown action in a hotel that makes you feel comfortable in a seedy area. Only real negative is they have no parking and your on your own to find it. There is one 24 hour secured parking lot we used 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room not on the street no matter what hotel you stay in in San Jose although I had...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Hardly a honeymoon suite; booked this back in January, but did not get all the features of the honeymoon package offered. Also, got a giant cockroach, non-functional table light, and then we moved to another room, and it had no air condition, and then moved to another room, which at the end, was not bad, but at least in satisfactory condition. HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED. Reporting live on location at the hotel as I write this review. We played musical rooms. We will not recommend this hotel at all. 3.5 circles is an overstatement of how good it is. It is not anything close! We haven't had breakfast yet and I'm worrying even about the quality. We haven't got a wake-up call yet even we requested one.

Room Tip: Choose a better hotel, not a better room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
South Fla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I was pleased to see my friends at the front desk, dinning room and the main bellman again. I have stayed at several hotels around San Jose, but always come back to Europa. Europa is not a 5 star Hotel, but the service and breakfast included make up for it. Europa is a great place for an overnight stay before going on to another destination or for day trips and returning in the evening. Always book online as the price is much lower than at the hotel. They have parking one block down from the hotel and is included with validated ticket from the hotel. You can buy flowers on the street for the lobby, which they appreciate very much, and they remember you when you return.

Room Tip: Stay on 3rd floor and and away from the main street down below
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cartago, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have stayed in Hotel Europa again and felt that things are changing for better. The people at the recepction seem more customer service oriented. Ricardo aT the Front desk was very kind.
I stayed in a room on the first floor and it was very well keept, but you can hear everything happening in the Lobby. I recommend to stay on the second or third floor.
As always breakfast was excellent.
Keep improving!!

Room Tip: I recommend to stay on the second or third floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!