“Much better than last visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #67 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Cartago, Costa Rica
“Much better than last visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have stayed in Hotel Europa again and felt that things are changing for better. The people at the recepction seem more customer service oriented. Ricardo aT the Front desk was very kind.
I stayed in a room on the first floor and it was very well keept, but you can hear everything happening in the Lobby. I recommend to stay on the second or third floor.
As always breakfast was excellent.
Keep improving!!

Room Tip: I recommend to stay on the second or third floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cartago, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions for work purposes. not a fancy place but the price paid for the accommodation is right. Some rooms need improvement in the paint and furniture. I have found bulbs burned in lamps at night; small details that can be improved easily and that would make a great difference in the guest experience. Reception staff is a bit rough, except for Eduard, who is always helpful and willing to serve. He has the habit of calling the guest by name, that indicates interest in the people who is staying .in the hotel
breakfast is delicious with several options to choose from.

I will continue staying in this hotel whenever I need it and I would really love to se some positive changes in rooms as well as in some recepcion staff

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Make a reservation online at their website, on their website does not indicate situations CORPORATE rates when you get me cooporativa indicated that the rate is lower than the internet, but they could not aplicarmela, but if you could change the conditions that reserve online, book a double and a single gave me, that if they changed it.
noise of the vehicles that the room faces the main street could not sleep, the parking is not hard but when you get labeled 30 minutes wondering where is the parking lot of Hotel Europa.
when asked to speak with customer service people told me to speak to the manager, but it never condescends to answer my messages.
I hope that people looking for accommodation in San Jose can find better options, and with good customer service.

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Got two nights for $79 for a queen sized bed. Nice big room on the 2nd floor. Located in a spot where you will want to take a cab to get wherever you need to at night, but is just fine during the day. Staff was friendly and helpful. Nice little casino with some slot machines. Restaurant was ok. Free breakfast was allright, but great food available at the bakery around the corner.

Hotel is older and not as modern as some others...but there was a nice 32 inch flat screen tv in my room...very large showers and large rooms...would stay again if on a budget. If money is not as much of an issue...stay somewhere nicer and more centrally located...but for me, it worked out great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

For $35 a night, I do not expect kingly service and immaculate rooms. But Hotel Europa actually bordered on disgusting. The entire place smelled of ripe body odor and stale, uncleaned carpeting. The business computer in the lobby was sticky and putrid-smelling. The bed in our room looked like it had lived through 2 world wars, and the bathroom smelled like a backed up septic system. The air conditioning blew out moist air. We had a balcony overlooking another building, and a sliding door that did not lock, let alone close. The front desk service was non-existent unless you spoke fluent Spanish.

It being our last night in San Jose, Costa Rica, we seriously considered packing up, forfeiting our money and spending the night at the airport. (The bed really did look that terrible.) However, not wanting to hail a taxi at midnight, we decided to sleep for a few hours. Much to Hotel Europa's credit, there were no bedbugs, and we slept very peacefully- at least in the moments when our neighbors' TV wasn't blaring through the paper-thin walls.

At 9am, we went down for the complimentary breakfast, and it was delicious. Gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, potatoes, fruit juice, fresh fruit, and coffee fueled us for the rest of the day.

Despite Hotel Europa's surprising elements (clean bed, good breakfast) I would really rather pay a bit more for a cleaner atmosphere. Something about living in a place that smells like a metropolitan sewer is very off-putting...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
South Fla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here while traveling around the country. The office staff was great to meet all of our needs. The rooms were fine and we able to come back from traveling for a couple days and the staff was always there to greet us. Check in the early morning and went right to our rooms and finished checking in later that morning. The service in the restaurant was the same as the front office. The rooms were fine, the hotel could use some updating, but all in all we could not complain. Hotel is a great place to return to for your last night before flying out and the value for what get was as well. Located two blocks from the city walking ave., so when we were in town could easily walk up and down the ave.
Coffee in the restaurant was great.

jupdog

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Haarlem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Location and price are very good. In the city center for a reasonable price. The room was cleaned daily. We only had breakfast in the restaurant (included in the price) which was satisfactory. Generally personnel was polite but the people at the front desk could do with a lesson or two in how to behave properly. I went to the front desk several times for information and instead of answering me I was ignored and information was given to my companion who stayed with me in the room. Hmm, I hope this has nothing to do with the fact that I have a dark skin and my friend is white. When I checked out the guys suddenly were very polite. Could that be because the cuban owner was standing there ?? Nah..
Anyway, not planning to go back to this place again.

Alas I have noticed that in many places in Costa Rica people will discriminate you when you have a darker skin than they have. I also heard that from others. Sad but true.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!