“Great stay and will be back.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenidas 3 y 5, San Jose 7712-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #67 of 85 hotels in San Jose
South Fla
“Great stay and will be back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here while traveling around the country. The office staff was great to meet all of our needs. The rooms were fine and we able to come back from traveling for a couple days and the staff was always there to greet us. Check in the early morning and went right to our rooms and finished checking in later that morning. The service in the restaurant was the same as the front office. The rooms were fine, the hotel could use some updating, but all in all we could not complain. Hotel is a great place to return to for your last night before flying out and the value for what get was as well. Located two blocks from the city walking ave., so when we were in town could easily walk up and down the ave.
Coffee in the restaurant was great.

jupdog

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Haarlem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Location and price are very good. In the city center for a reasonable price. The room was cleaned daily. We only had breakfast in the restaurant (included in the price) which was satisfactory. Generally personnel was polite but the people at the front desk could do with a lesson or two in how to behave properly. I went to the front desk several times for information and instead of answering me I was ignored and information was given to my companion who stayed with me in the room. Hmm, I hope this has nothing to do with the fact that I have a dark skin and my friend is white. When I checked out the guys suddenly were very polite. Could that be because the cuban owner was standing there ?? Nah..
Anyway, not planning to go back to this place again.

Alas I have noticed that in many places in Costa Rica people will discriminate you when you have a darker skin than they have. I also heard that from others. Sad but true.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I have to say I was nervous about booking my room here after some of the reviews, but I did so because it was the right price! Upon my arrival it was nice to see that the lobby was nice. yes the sofas were a bit old, but this place has character. I was on the 3rd floor and yes the carpet was a little old, but it was clean and well kept. My room was huge, with a walk in closet and a Giant balcony overlooking the pool. The sheets and towels were clean, and so was the room. The bathroom did have that CA smell, but I get that at most places and it isn't anything that keeping the bathroom door closed doesn't eliminate. If that is what upsets you, pay an extra $100 and stay at the Hilton (that said I have had that same smell there). The staff couldn't have been better, I would return just for them. Breakfast was very good and it was also very large. fruit place, then scrambled eggs, ham, toast, rice and beans, and a few other things. You should also consider lunch at this place, buffet style and I think it was $6, and talk about great. People that post about old carpet and those kinds of things need to stay in the USA or stay at the hilton when they travel, you get what you pay for and I will be happy to pay $50 or so a night to stay here again where I felt safe, and has a great staff to assist me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Booked the hotel through a special no name hot deal from Hotwire.com. Expected a clean and comfortable hotel room. Was extrodinarily shocked when upon entering the elevator seeing cobwebs, extreme dirt on a worn out carpet that appeared it has not been cleaned or replaced in 30 years. It was scratched, had graffetti and looked thouroughly run down. Walked down the very old hallway with a nice attentive young man taking our bags to whom I asked "I hope this is one of your nice rooms." He replied "It is one of our best." He opened the door and immediately we were shocked by the run down condition. There was exposed wiring, stained carpet, sheets with holes,towel with yellow stains. I slept fully dressed including socks on top of the bed spread. It reminds me of a old outdated motel from 40 years ago that has not made any improvements. It did have a LCD TV on the wall and was impressive which seemed out of place in context of the room. In the lobby there were white velvet couches that were heavily stained. I would like to note that the personel and staff were extremely attentive and nice. The hotel was safe.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

I actually stayed here on the last two days of my honeymoon to save money. At fifty dollars or so a night with a really good breakfast quit complaining. This hotel does have a grungy urban second world exotic kind of thing about it. Historic pictures in the lobby with marble floors. The girl at the desk is sweet. The karaoke bar downstairs is loud. Markets with great food are all over the place. It all depends on what you like but I had a great time.

• Stayed August 2010
Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

The hotel is a bit run down, but its clean, and the room was ok, for one night.
The area is a innercity area, with all that comes with it. But we basically stayed there for one night and it was ok. The breakfast was ok, nothing special really. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean with a good shower.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

If you are expecting an American style hotel, you will be disappointed. The room was clean with very basic appointments. It was pleasant enough for a two day visit to downtown San Jose, CR, located not from from the center of the city. The lobby is nice, there is a comfortable restaurant where we received free breakfast of eggs, fried bananas, fried potato, and sausage. Also included was a fresh fruit plate, orange juice, and great coffee. The hotel has a loud bar we could hear upstairs in our room till late. There is also a smallish casino.

We got a great rate from Hotels.com, and it's an OK place to sleep, if you are patient with a non-American style place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!