“Hart of the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5th Avenue and 5th Street | PO Box 7802-1000, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Chicago
“Hart of the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Nice hotel if you need to stay in Downtown San Jose area. Close to parts, several casinos, and night life spots. Lots of shopping and a few restaurants within walking distance. Despite being in the downtown of a major city I felt very safe walking around during the day and at night. The decor is a little outdated but I had no problems with the common areas or my room. The hotel restaurants and buffet breakfast are up to standards. Not great but not bad. I had a issue getting my IHG reward points (caused by my coworker not the hotel) the hotel staff was helpful and friendly when I called and after a few months I got my points.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our location; and our staff were helpful by crediting your IHG Rewards Club points after your call. We do appreciate your loyalty and preference.

We hope to welcome you next time you visit San José Downtown.

FO Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Salvador, El Salvador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel looks dirty in general, old furniture and wallpapers, dirty carpets, old tv, bed wasn't very comfortable. Some staff members are not very friendly. There's not much to do or see around, nowhere to eat. Breakfast and bar are ok, pool is ok too. I found some toys under my bed, I guess the previous guests left them, and no one had the decency to vacuum that area.
The mini bar was locked, and I asked the front desk to open it, they asked in a very rude tone if I wanted to use the fridge or consume the products, otherwise, they would tale them away. Great way to sell the minibar. Also, when booking the hotel, I added a note asking for airport-hotel transportation, but the note was never read, and they offer no explanation for this lack of service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear MeyM651:
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola. We truly apologize for hotel overall appearance, minibar and airport transportation service. We welcome your candid feedback as an opportunity to improve our services.

Please contact me directly at gfernandez@aurolahotels.com next time you plan to visit San Jose. I will ensure to upgrade your reservation to a beautiful corner room and guarantee you will have a pleasant stay.

Sincerely;

Ginnette Fernández
Jaco beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel for several times. The first time we were amazed for the great service in every aspect thats why we came back, it was so nice when the staff welcome us and recognize us from the bellman to the front desk, maids, restaurants staff, every one! We returned for a third time and it was even better. As we like to say when we go to San Jose: "We are staying at home" The hotel is very clean, the food is really good, the staff is very polite and helpful. I definitely recommend The Aurola Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear NancyLeiton;

Thanks for your kind Works regarding your recent experience at Holiday Inn San José Aurola. I’m so happy that our staff took care of you and your husband and made you feel like you were at home, providing you a great service.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again next time you visit San Jose Downtown.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

All in all it's a very nice facility. The staff were very helpful and had no problem with English. Clean and well kept. May have been a five star hotel a few years ago but is beginning to show some signs of wear and tear. Carpets are a bit frayed and thin. I had the Presidential Suite and it was a tremendous bargain. The first morning I had no hot water and the shower was certainly "refreshing". The second morning it was luke warm but manageable. By the third morning I had more hot water than I ever wanted. The flush button popped out on the floor which left the toilet running but was repaired post-haste. It was interesting that there was no soap dish in the shower. Had a good looking jacuzzi and sauna but I didn't have the chance to use them. I went down for breakfast one morning and the pans in the buffet were empty so I opted out. The Palma bar was friendly and the staff very helpful. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who is not looking for lush luxury but a good clean hotel with a helpful staff. The prices were very good.

Room Tip: Not sure if the breakfast is included if you don't have a suite. Also the WiFi. It was include...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear btwatsvc;

We do appreciate your comments and feedback since it gives us the chance to improve our services. We do apologize for the issues you had with hot water and breakfast. I will follow up these items to the engineering and food and beverage managers in order to guarantee similar situations won’t happen again in the future.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you next time you visit San José Downtown. Once again, thanks for your review.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I can't say enough about our stay at this hotel. The Valet staff, particularly Toni was amazing during our two week stay he went above and beyond to ensure our family had everything we needed, he heated up my sons left over pizza at 10:00 at night after being in the pool and on our last night I was in the pool with my kids and came up to say goodbye, really nice guy you don't see this often. The housekeeper took great care of us gave us everything we requested and more. On one of the nights we came to our room and it reeked of cigarettes my husband called the front desk and quickly someone came up and offered another room and did a building check to locate where the smell was coming from since it's non-smoking rooms; bottom line the issue was addressed immediately. The pool is really nice, very clean and always stocked with towels. The gym is not top of the line but sufficed for a decent workout. The location is ideal center of San Jose and I would recommend two restaurants for breakfast La Crollita and Azafran really good breakfast in walking distance. I also had one of the best pina colodas made by bartender Orlando, it was amazing delicious not too sweet and not strong. My family loved this hotel and we would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: If possible I requested a room in the upper levels 12 and up the view at night is beautiful and it w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AurolaHolidayInn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Eyleen C;
We do appreciate your kind comments about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola.

I’m so happy to hear our staff took care of your family and they loved the experience during your two week stay. We’ll definitely look forward to welcome you again next time you visit San José.

Thanks for your review and pura vida!!!!

Front Desk Manager.
Daytona Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location near downtown San Jose. Rooms are clean and rates include breakfast. A casino on the top floor with free buffet as well as a 4 star restaurant. Also a nice bar upstairs from the lobby. City park across the street makes for a picture perfect setting. It always helps to speak a bit of Spanish but not required.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a great view, day or night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Randall H;

It’s great to hear you have a nice time discovering our city and enjoy our locations in San José Downtown.

We appreciate the time you take to share your comments and we hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you next time!

Pura Vida!!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel July 4th weekend and was insulted by the rude and unprofessional staff. I meet someone at a nightclub the evening before and that person came back to my room but did not spend the night. The next evening that individual called and wanted to meet at the hotel and go to dinner. This hotel has one those elevator systems where you need a room key to use. I had to meet the individual in the lobby. We were stopped by the staff returning to my room and they demanded that I pay a visitors fee of $70 for my guest. This was in the lobby in front of everyone. I told them to add the amount to the bill and they refused. I was told I have to present them with a credit card now, they had no card on file. My friend had to remain in the lobby. Do you know how embarrassing the staff made us feel. When I checked out of the hotel they somehow found the card on file to bill for other items. Other than the rude staff the hotel location is good but the furniture looks like it's from 1982. The rooms could use a little sprucing!

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Jefforl;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola.
I do apologize you felt embarrassed by our staff. I will like to know more details about your stay.
Would you please contact us directly at gfernandez@aurolahotels.com.

We do appreciate your comments and hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Front Desk Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola? Share your experiences!