“Great Location - Good Value for Money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola

You added Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5th Avenue and 5th Street | PO Box 7802-1000, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #37 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Great Location - Good Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location near downtown San Jose. Rooms are clean and rates include breakfast. A casino on the top floor with free buffet as well as a 4 star restaurant. Also a nice bar upstairs from the lobby. City park across the street makes for a picture perfect setting. It always helps to speak a bit of Spanish but not required.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a great view, day or night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Randall H;

It’s great to hear you have a nice time discovering our city and enjoy our locations in San José Downtown.

We appreciate the time you take to share your comments and we hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you next time!

Pura Vida!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel July 4th weekend and was insulted by the rude and unprofessional staff. I meet someone at a nightclub the evening before and that person came back to my room but did not spend the night. The next evening that individual called and wanted to meet at the hotel and go to dinner. This hotel has one those elevator systems where you need a room key to use. I had to meet the individual in the lobby. We were stopped by the staff returning to my room and they demanded that I pay a visitors fee of $70 for my guest. This was in the lobby in front of everyone. I told them to add the amount to the bill and they refused. I was told I have to present them with a credit card now, they had no card on file. My friend had to remain in the lobby. Do you know how embarrassing the staff made us feel. When I checked out of the hotel they somehow found the card on file to bill for other items. Other than the rude staff the hotel location is good but the furniture looks like it's from 1982. The rooms could use a little sprucing!

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Jefforl;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola.
I do apologize you felt embarrassed by our staff. I will like to know more details about your stay.
Would you please contact us directly at gfernandez@aurolahotels.com.

We do appreciate your comments and hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Front Desk Manager
Waterford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I had a great experience during my business trip to San Jose staying at the Holiday inn Aurola in June 2014. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and treat me like family. The downtown hotel is walking distance to shopping areas and they have taxis right there waiting for you. The top level restaurant provides great views and superb cuisine. Highly recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Nelly0711;

We are so happy to hear you felt like home during your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola.

I will past your kindly words to our staff and appreciate the time you had take to write your review!

I hope you can come back in the future and have some time to discover our city as well.

Kindly,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Holiday Inn Aurola had very efficient and good service. The checkin took no time and my 12th floor room faced the mountain that was excellent to wake up to. Amenities were good and bedding was very comfortable. Fast wifi.

There is the Grayline tour desk as well as another one by the front entrance. Both were excellent in terms of getting tours or if you simply want to venture out on your own (ask Grayline for a local map.) The Grayline tour desk recommended La Criollita that had tasty and filling breakfast and where most ticos go to! As I always recommend, when traveling, try immersing into local culture and ask for suggestions.

And like many other hotels in the city, they would store your luggage if you have checked out already.

Location wise, while it is a couple blocks north of the major streets, it is separated by the Parque Morazan, which is not safe to walk around at night. So instead of wandering out for dinner on a Sunday night when most places close at 9pm (you could cross the street and grab an ice cream), I decided to eat at Tropicana Restaurant inside the hotel. The fish dish was good and the drink was strong.

In addition, they also included a complimentary drink at the La Palma Bar which was decent too.

They also got me the local red cab to the airport. Generally many said only locals would take it but since it's from the trusting hotel, I was pleased to have a good ride and it was cheaper than what I paid for when taking a shuttle van at the airport to the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear TaminatorSF;

Thanks for share your kind comments and words about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the heart of San Jose, the local culture and typical food.

We hope you continue to choose Holiday Inn Aurola next time you visit our country!! Once again, thanks for your review.

Pura Vida!!

Front Desk Manager
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Booked via IHG for 79$. Arrived late evening to a lobby which was partially closed up for a cleaning of the carpets (not inviting at all). Check in was OK, not particularly friendly, but polite. Benefits provided to Gold members is a free drink per night at teh bar, no breakfast or bottled water.

The room itself was decently sized with plenty of window, decent view of SJO, good king bed, nice clean bathroom, free wifi. The TV is old school CRT with decent selection of channels. The aroma of the room was unpleasant, musty, light cat pee, maybe due to tropical clime. Air conditioning helped a bit with attenuating the odor.

The gym was decently appointed with ellipticals, treadmills, some weights. The pool was nice but again, some renovation work made the area unappealing to the eye. The Jacuzzi was OK.
The location is good, with plenty of dinning options around (ask the bellboys), Auto Mercado is 2 blocks away for groceries...the immediate area is OK to walk at night (Morazan park is lively with youths hanging around) but if you walk to far, it can get a little iffy (you do get a warning). I did not partake in the breakfast at the hotel (15$ buffet). I did use my free drinks and the young lady serving me was very pleasant...go for the Pura Vida (anything with a lil. guaro is good).

If this hotel could get some reno work and updates, it would be a really good option...I still recommend it.

Room Tip: book direct with IHG,...take advantage of 5000 points offer for 20$ more.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Lubiere;

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience at our Property. We do apologize our lobby were partially closed by your check in time and our hotel were under some renovations. It is important to us to consistently provide good quality in order to guarantee a nice and pleasant stay.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you next time you visit San José Downtown.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel two days while visiting Costa Rica, and had a chance to see much of the things they had to offer. The entire hotel looks great, and of a higher quality than the typical Holiday Inn. The requirement of a room key to use the elevator is a great security feature. The indoor pool (which also requires a room key to access) was nice, and I appreciated how they brought us towels when we got there. We were served dinner on our second night, and the food was great. Breakfast was just as good. Though we had an issue with the room key, a man was quickly sent over to fix the card reader. The room itself was in great condition, with everything (except the tv) looking new. The bathroom was nicely supplied with towels and various soaps, shampoos, etc. The beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. I enjoyed the view from the room, which included a park, the city, and mountains in the background. I was also happy to find that there was a gift shop located in the lobby. The staff was very helpful, and fortunately spoke English very well. I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Costa Rica or just visiting the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Jonathan B;

We do appreciate your kind words and the time you take to share your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola. It’s really nice you had some time to discover the heart of our city while enjoying our comfortable beds and relaxing at the pool.

We hope you continue to choose Holiday Inn Aurola next time you visit San José Downtown.

Kindly,

Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Kingsize beds were simply amazing. Overall, the hotel is superb. It has a small gym, swimming pool (towels are supplied). Breakfast is good, they have a chef who prepares eggs to your wishes.
Downside is that the wifi wasn't flawless (my first visit it was, now it was mas o menos). Jacuzzi at the pool didn't work. But don't let these things stop you from going here, really good!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a Kingsize bed!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Pim D;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Holiday Inn San Jose Aurola. We do appreciate your feedback! I am so happy to heart you had an amazing rest at our beds.
I do apologize for the small inconveniences you at with Wi-Fi and Jacuzzi, your comments are a great opportunity to improve quality of services and avoid similar situations in the future.

We hope you can give us the chance to welcome you next time you visit San José Downtown.

Ginnette Fernández

Been to Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola? Share your experiences!