“Holiday Inn San Jose” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5th Avenue and 5th Street | PO Box 7802-1000, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Fairburn, Georgia
“Holiday Inn San Jose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hoilday Inn was good. The hotel is in a great location right by Main ST. The staff was great, they got me into my room in minutes. The room was clean and just great. The taxi from the airport is $27 to the hotel. The taxi from the hotel to the airport was $30.

The only con about the holiday is that it did not have a ATM in it or close by.

Room Tip: Get a high room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your stay and our great location. We hope you will come back to San Jose soon.

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions and recently stayed again in a corner room on the 7th floor. Very nice room, excellent view. I also was upgraded to the Executive lounge, which has a small, free breakfast with fruit, cereal, pastries, juice, coffee, etc as well as drinks and snacks in the evening.

I was also able to use the small conference room on the 15th floor to work and conduct some interviews.

Check in was fast and very friendly.

Rooms are large and the beds comfortable.

Room Tip: get a corner room or one as high up in the building as possible
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our conference facilities worked for your interviews. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My BF and I stayed her for a few nights recently. We were on the executive floor, had a beautiful Corner room with an AMAZING view. The room was clean, nice bathroom and shower, and the bed great. The pool area was pretty, relaxing, and both times we used it, we were the only ones there. The only downsides were that the jacuzzi was NOT warm enough, it was the same temp as the pool. However playing ping pong was miserable after a few minutes due to the fact that the room was probably at least 85 degrees. Fine for the jacuzzi and pool, not good for ping pong.

The downsides: The executive center was a JOKE. The food at breakfast was not good at all. Milk was sitting out, lukewarm, yogurt too. Bread was not fresh. In the evening, it was supposed to be light snacks from 5-7. If you got there much after 6pm you were out of luck.

My BF's daughter came to visit us the first day we were there, she is a student in San Jose. We met in the lobby and then we decided to go upstairs to show her the awesome view in the room, but were stopped and were told we would have to pay $85 dollars to have a guest in the room. We were like, we just want to go up for 5 or 10 minutes.... nope, no can do! So his daughter explained that they thought she was a hooker, that right across the street is the Del Rey, where dozens and dozens of working girls ply their trade each night and lots of guys bring girls back to their hotel rooms and so I guess the hotel is trying to get their cut.

Having said that, a few days later as we were sitting in the lobby waiting to speak to the front desk agent about another matter we see a girl come in who was dressed in such a way that anyone in their right mind could see that she was a hooker, she walked over to the bellman, handed him something and then he put her on the elevator and accessed the executive floor with his key and sent her on up. Now I am not sure what exactly transpired in this transaction but my guess is that she was smart enough to bypass the front desk fee and apply it elsewhere. Whatever.....

I would probably not recommend this hotel actually.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We reviewed your comments carefully and are glad you found the hotel was clean and relaxing. We are sorry the Jacuzzi was not warm enough for you and that the pool deck was not cool enough for you.

Although prostitution is legal in Costa Rica between consenting adults, we discourage guests from inviting prostitutes to their rooms and use the fee to turn them away "nicely", without insulting them. It is not the city, or the hotel, but certain guests that come to San Jose for this type of activity. Regardless, no one at any time insinuated your friends daughter was participating in this activity and if she felt that way, we are very sorry indeed.
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Once again I stayed at this hotel, this time to celebrate my birthday. Since I arrive they make me feel at home. The Bellboys are great. Carolina and Carlos do a great job at the Front Desk and they always welcome me. The room at the Executive level was nice and clean and as I always forget my toothpaste they always send me one when I request it. I think the executive level needs to have more variety of snacks. I love the breakfast buffet here but I think the variety has decrease. As always I recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: upper rooms have a great view of the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We enjoy it when you return to stay with us and are happy we could be a part of your birthday! We appreciate your business and your recommendations for our executive lounge and breakfast buffet. We are trying out new items in our breakfast to offer something different each day for our guests.

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here twice in one week, in the beginning and in the end of our trip. Both times the staff was helpful and friendly, the food was good and the rooms were clean and ready for us way before the official check-in time. The pool is a nice feature. The location is convenient if you want to walk around central San Jose, although the city itself is not all that great for exploring beyond the very center. Overall, a really good hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for choosing us for your 1st and last night in Costa Rica! Please visit us again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Hotel is nice, the rooms and everything from the start is of 5 stars. I went in early may with my friends to Costa Rica, and Holiday Inn was our first Hotel during a 7 days vacation that we planned to travel around Costa Rica.

On the other hand, the location of the Hotel was disappointing, I know this is not an area that the Hotel controls, but I think the hotel should talk with the local authorities to clean the area from many undesired people that are affecting the image of the pura vida and safety around the grounds.

Me and my friends stayed there for 2 nights and except for the location everything else was perfect . The rooms were very clean. We highly recommend this place if you plan to stay 1 night at San Jose

Room Tip: dinner at the penthouse restaurant with city lights view of san jose
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us! Our location is central downtown, withing walking distance to a multitude of museums, shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions. San Jose is a city, and can be overwhelming to some visitors. We hope you enjoyed your Costa Rica trip and come see us again soon!
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel location is superb and the public areas are nice and comfortable.

The business center, though, is in utter disrepair with two broken chairs and computers needing a password to access the Internet. No paper in the printer which requires a trip to the Front Desk to get paper. Two of the computers will not accept the password that the desk clerk put in and finally the third worked.

The bell service was excellent and helpful but the restaurant staff was cold at best.

The room had that old world feel, clean and comfortable in spite of the old fashioned TV set.

Upon check in, I mentioned that my wife will be coming from the US on a later plane and the pleasant desk clerk put the number of people in the room as two. When my wife came to check in, the evening clerk insisted that I pay an extra $79 over and above the $89 I have already paid. It seems that if a couple doesn't check in at the same time, an extra fee is assessed.

We are both in our 60s and I don't understand why I had to pay so much more with a reservation made for two people initially. Bottom line, if you don't want your wife to be treated like a prostitute, don't stay there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear samf5050,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola? Share your experiences!