“Filthy rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Hotel Costa Rica

You added Gran Hotel Costa Rica to your Saves list
Gran Hotel Costa Rica
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Central and Second Ave. Between 1 & 3, San Jose 527-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #39 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Paris, France
“Filthy rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Great location in the centre of San José (not much to do there anyway).
Hotel in need of renovation, rooms dirty and bathroom in a terrible state.
The breakfast was very simple with basically fruit, cereals, egg and cheese.
It's a wonder how this hotel can have 4 stars. Bad value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Cartago, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

stayed from dec 14-16. overall, i enjoyed my stay. i just love old hotels. such character,well perserve. the only problem i had was a constant noise outside due to a damage crosswalk single. i enjoyed the food,especially morning buffect. also enjoyed my dinner in their resturant. upkeep for this hotel is reasonally good since it was built around 1930. i would like to suggest they open the fifth floor so all the guests can enjoy the parade. good view to see the parade.

Room Tip: to view the parade,i stayed in room 439. i believe room 440 has a better view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a Grand OLD hotel. If you like the charm of the old hotel you will like this one. This is not the modern chain where once inside you no longer remember what city you are in. The bath is old but works properly. A little more water pressure would not be amiss.
The National Theater is across the square. Last night we were treated to the Festival of Light Parade outside our window. A lot of noise but is was wonderful. We were dog tired but watched until we could no longer keep awake. Excellent location to serve as a base to see the city. The buffet breakfast is very good,even though they don't have decaf coffee in this country. If you can sit is a section being cared for by Sr. Alexis Pereira. He is an old style gentleman who is a master of his trade. He makes you feel that you are his only concern.

Room Tip: we liked our room overlooking the square but there may be city noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I got into the hotel at about 10:30 pm after flying all day. It was unique in the sense that they still used old fashioned keys in lieu of cards. It was nice sleeping with the windows wide open and hearing the sounds of the plaza below. The National Theatre next door is beautiful. Contrary to what the website said, they do have A/C, but it wasn't needed this time of year. In fact, I prefer the ceiling fan the room had. Breakfast was decent, served on the 5th floor and I sat at one of the tables outside, which was quite refreshing. I would stay again for a night, but not an extended stay.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Central location, free wifi + computer room, free gym, fridge in room, cable tv, a/c, great buffet breakfast, reliable hot water, nice and clean old fashioned hotel. (thumbs up)

Apart from the enthusiastic guy who took our bags to our room when we first got there the service was minimal. The front desk refused to hold our bags for the day when we did a trip, unless we paid full price for another night ! They laughed when we asked for the hair dryer that wasnt in its holder in the room then gave us one from under the front desk and forget getting help from the depressed, too-busy-doing NOTHING-to-deal-with-tourists in foyer tour agency (she missed our business).

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and loved it. It was within walking distance of the gold museum, jade museum, market, church and numerous other attractions along with shopping, It was about $4 - $6 in a cab to the mall depending on traffic.
The lady at the tour desk went above and beyond to arrange tours for us and all the staff were great! We found it noisy on the first night which was Saturday night but after that the square was a lot quieter in the evenings for sleeping. The room was great and had windows facing out in two directions which was wonderful for watching people in the square.
If I am ever back in San Jose you can be sure I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you have problems sleeping with noise pay a little more and get a room with a/c. The location of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kitcat22
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love classy old hotels, and this 1930 Historic-Architectural Landmark should have been one of them. Gran Hotel was THE place to stay in early San Jose. It is located amid national monuments, museums, squares, and pedestrian streets (read no night traffic noise).

I've posted pictures that show my main objections: The promised "Bedroom with one or two Queen size beds" had double beds with remarkably old, worn, hard mattresses.

The wall over the headboards is dirty, like years of dusting the headboards has led to buildup of grime. It shows up in the pic as an inch of brown/black filth, wipes off with damp washcloth.

The bathroom light switch is grimy, as is the door casing near it going into the bathroom.

Desk staff, esp Mr. Luis Martinez, was surly. First, they couldn't find my registration. I provided them the confirmation #, and they said to come back at 2pm. Told me I could NOT check in early. When I got to my room (they eventually did find one for me with early check in), my sink's hot water faucet spun freely, not turning on the water. I reported it to Mr. Martinez, and went out for 3 hours, came back and the faucet was still not fixed. As I walked out of the room to see him again, I came across two service staff, told them the problem, and within 5 minutes a maintenance technician was fixing my faucet. I give the service and maintenance staff 3 or 4 stars. Mr. Martinez gets zero stars.

I'd expect this lack of attention to detail from a 1 or 2 star old hotel in el centro, but surely not from a hotel that brags about being the nation's only Patrimonio Historico and charges 4 star rates. I should have read addie00063's review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gran Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!