“Old world charm with the bonus of Choice Hotel Rewards points” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Hotel Costa Rica

You added Gran Hotel Costa Rica to your Saves list
Gran Hotel Costa Rica
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Central and Second Ave. Between 1 & 3, San Jose 527-1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
“Old world charm with the bonus of Choice Hotel Rewards points”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I got into the hotel at about 10:30 pm after flying all day. It was unique in the sense that they still used old fashioned keys in lieu of cards. It was nice sleeping with the windows wide open and hearing the sounds of the plaza below. The National Theatre next door is beautiful. Contrary to what the website said, they do have A/C, but it wasn't needed this time of year. In fact, I prefer the ceiling fan the room had. Breakfast was decent, served on the 5th floor and I sat at one of the tables outside, which was quite refreshing. I would stay again for a night, but not an extended stay.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Central location, free wifi + computer room, free gym, fridge in room, cable tv, a/c, great buffet breakfast, reliable hot water, nice and clean old fashioned hotel. (thumbs up)

Apart from the enthusiastic guy who took our bags to our room when we first got there the service was minimal. The front desk refused to hold our bags for the day when we did a trip, unless we paid full price for another night ! They laughed when we asked for the hair dryer that wasnt in its holder in the room then gave us one from under the front desk and forget getting help from the depressed, too-busy-doing NOTHING-to-deal-with-tourists in foyer tour agency (she missed our business).

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and loved it. It was within walking distance of the gold museum, jade museum, market, church and numerous other attractions along with shopping, It was about $4 - $6 in a cab to the mall depending on traffic.
The lady at the tour desk went above and beyond to arrange tours for us and all the staff were great! We found it noisy on the first night which was Saturday night but after that the square was a lot quieter in the evenings for sleeping. The room was great and had windows facing out in two directions which was wonderful for watching people in the square.
If I am ever back in San Jose you can be sure I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you have problems sleeping with noise pay a little more and get a room with a/c. The location of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kitcat22
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love classy old hotels, and this 1930 Historic-Architectural Landmark should have been one of them. Gran Hotel was THE place to stay in early San Jose. It is located amid national monuments, museums, squares, and pedestrian streets (read no night traffic noise).

I've posted pictures that show my main objections: The promised "Bedroom with one or two Queen size beds" had double beds with remarkably old, worn, hard mattresses.

The wall over the headboards is dirty, like years of dusting the headboards has led to buildup of grime. It shows up in the pic as an inch of brown/black filth, wipes off with damp washcloth.

The bathroom light switch is grimy, as is the door casing near it going into the bathroom.

Desk staff, esp Mr. Luis Martinez, was surly. First, they couldn't find my registration. I provided them the confirmation #, and they said to come back at 2pm. Told me I could NOT check in early. When I got to my room (they eventually did find one for me with early check in), my sink's hot water faucet spun freely, not turning on the water. I reported it to Mr. Martinez, and went out for 3 hours, came back and the faucet was still not fixed. As I walked out of the room to see him again, I came across two service staff, told them the problem, and within 5 minutes a maintenance technician was fixing my faucet. I give the service and maintenance staff 3 or 4 stars. Mr. Martinez gets zero stars.

I'd expect this lack of attention to detail from a 1 or 2 star old hotel in el centro, but surely not from a hotel that brags about being the nation's only Patrimonio Historico and charges 4 star rates. I should have read addie00063's review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is clean and has a lot of history. Our room was small but ok by Costa Rican standards. Had an AC unit and was comfortable.

Location is good for access to the main museums etc, but feels really unsafe in general. 3 different tour reps told us to be wary of our belongings when out in the day, and definately not to leave the hotel at night!!!

The major complaint I have is the set of traffic lights right outside which made a really loud chirping noise every time the lights are in red! Our room was on the front of the hotel and the windows wouldn't shut properly so all you could hear all night were these traffic lights which made it a terrible nights sleep!

The hotel is great for a couple of nights, but any longer than that and you'll need to make sure you get a room at the back if the hotel.

5th floor breakfast restaurant has amazing views over SJ.

• Stayed November 2012
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel nex to the National theater is a nice hotel with a lots of history behind, the service at the cafe is excellent .
The location is excellent and the staff is friendly. The tour desk is helpfull.
Coming back !

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

- champagne (cava) served at restaurant was completely flat
- old, decaying rooms with bottom-end budget 1980s renovations.
- no a/c and no screens on windows
- stale smell in room
- 'courtyard view' was view into cavity filled with vents and other hotel infrastructure
- but the real problem was the service.. no instructions on use of archaic safe. was unable to reopen safe and was refused assistance by hotel staff who had a key to open it. I was told I had to wait until morning by the surly front desk staff. I pleaded with him twice explaining that my medication was locked inside and I had to take it before bed. He reluctantly explained the method for opening the safe but I had to ask a series of questions and all he would give me was mostly one word, robotic answers. In the end it didn't work and I was unable to sleep and was quite ill by morning. A new member of staff was behind the desk in the morning and he too was reluctant to help but after some time he agreed and it took two minutes of his time to make the trip to my room and unlock the safe. I cannot believe the callous disregard for the health and well being of guests.

We went to the Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici (paid the same price) and it was a world of difference. Clean, comfortable and good service. The Gran Hotel runs on the fumes of it's past glory and location, a 1 star hotel with 0 star service. Never again!

Room Tip: any other hotel is better
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Gran Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!