“NICE PEOPLE, NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE HOTEL” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fleur de Lys

You added Hotel Fleur de Lys to your Saves list
Hotel Fleur de Lys
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 13 between avenidas 2 and 6 | PO Box 10736, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Canada
“NICE PEOPLE, NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE HOTEL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am not a picky guy, i traveled the world and saw many places. This one is a little overrated.
The people are very nice, courteous and very helpful. The all speak English and they will try to accommodate you as much as they can.
The hotel is not great. I stayed there one night on Feb12. The room had a small window above the kitchen area, in a jog in the exterior wall, no sun light, the only light was coming from a square hole in the roof, strange configuration. I didnt comment, i was there for a night only starting a tour through Costa Rica. I knew I will be back in a week and make sure I don't get the same room. The room was also very very small, one twin bed and not much room to hover around.
It was late and all the banks were closed, couldn't exchange any funds. I ate at the restaurant. Nothing fancy, plain food, tasty but nothing special, and not cheap. They converted my US dollar at 490 Collones, which was way lower than any other place (anywhere between 519 to 529). I didnt like that, it was like you like it or you starve.

The shower was a disgrace. A small tub shower tucked in the corner in a very strange way, the tub was half in the wall and the curtain to small to wrap around it, I flooded the place. Again, no complains, i went straight to sleep because I had a long drive the next day. This room is called ARTHURIO, avoid it at any cost. Door would not seal properly, lots of noise from the corridor, the room is on the landing of second floor. At two in the morning loud tapping noise from high heals shoes on the hall way, ladies laughing out loud and men coughing. The floors are hardwood, no carpets to cushion the noise at all.
At 5:00 am a group of tourists took off, loud again, rolling the luggage on the ceramic floor. No, I am not extra sensitive, the room is right in front of the stairs, no elevators.

I left after breakfast. very pour breakfast, watery scrambled eggs, they looked that bad that i didnt feel like i need any, bred, butter and jam. I only took tea and took off.
I was worried because I had reservations for another two days a week later.

When I came back the same thing, friendly faces, greetings so so on. I was given, guess, the same room and I refused it, i told him the rook is way to small and the bathroom is terrible.The fellow behind the reception didnt know what to do with me, lucky the manager or owner was right there and he showed me the only room available, right on the main floor, between the restaurant and the reception. Large room. I went straight to the bathroom to check the condition and noticed the huge king size bed. Dint need one but why not have it. I saw a window, assumed it will open clear but I was wrong. I only found that out after the manager left. The window opened to a painted wall, no light, no view. But was a little better than Arthurio.

Late in the evening the smoke alarm started beeping, low battery. Called the manager, came with a ladder but no battery, he disabled it for the night, but never came back with a battery for two days. This room is called Lila. Remember to avoid this one too. It is right on the hallway going to restaurant and reception. You can hear everything that people talk through the thin door and walls. 7 Am in the morning a group of tourists with a guide had a briefing right in front of my door. I heard the whole itinerary and the travel plan right from my bed. So remember Lila, dont take it. There are old tube TVs in the room and no fridge, space is one of the reasons. Pretty bad considering the bar closes at 10:00 and there is nothing open around the hotel at that hour.
The train that passes in the back of the hotel? That's is a piece of cake comparing with the traffic in the hotel.
Bottom line, after three days in there> nice people, loud cheap place. Location and the area is good, but there are better places.

Room Tip: avoid Arthurio and Lila rooms. Ask for a higher floor room if you are strong to climb up the stairs...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with the most friendly staff ever! We ate at the hotel's restaurant and the food was excellent. In San Jose, good restaurants are hard to find. We left at 5.20am to the airport and they had made us breakfast ready in a box to take away!! It was very safe and calm hotel and worth every penny!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Koege, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Very Nice hotel, very old style. Funny train from the Road. Closed to most everything. And half an hour from airport. Very helpfull staff. Good breackfast. Also if you have a early flight. Hope to return.

Room Tip: Close to airport and City
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Puebla, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We liked the place so much that we came back to stay here a second time, before we left Costa Rica. The interior of the hotelito is just perfect and very tasteful. Breakfast was great with tasty banana cake, they have a nice terrace where you can sit and enjoy some drinks. It is a lively place, we liked the atmosphere. Did not try the restaurant, because we just found a great one just around the corner of the place (Nuestra tierra - looks very rustic but food was fantastic!).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mainz, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Costa Rica is a beautiful place but San Jose is not at all. Nevertheless Hotel Fleur de Lys is a nice place to stay for a night or two. It's very close to the center and the people are very helpful. The Hotel is clean, breakfast is ok. The rooms are very simple. You can park your outside in a safe area and a bakery is around the corner. When you're used to the Costa Rica rhythm (sleep early, wake up early) the train next to the hotel won't bother you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The trains sound scary, but they stop passing by around 20.30h, until approx. 5h in the morning. So if you go early to bed (like we did cos we intuitively adapted to CR rhythm), then you shouldn’t have a problem getting some sleep in this hotel :)
It is in the centre, the rooms at the back of the hotel are acceptable, those overlooking the street not so.. The rooms are very small and quite old. But it looked clean so it was ok. The center of San Jose is not really place where I would walk in the night, we hated this city, it is disgusting. So better take a hotel which is on the outskirts in a nice area like Escazu, you will anyway be picked up for every fieldtrip and in the center you have nothing to search for.
The staff was really amazing, we complained because of the noise (I have heart problems and needed rest), so after phoning our travel agency they even gave us a suite at the back of the hotel, without charging us for upgrade. Really nice of them.
The food was nothing special, I ate a thai curry once, it had nothing to do with thai nor curry ;)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Fleur de Lys? Share your experiences!