“standard hotel, outskirts of downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sabana Norte, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica (Formerly Tryp Corobici)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Richmond, Virginia
“standard hotel, outskirts of downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

There is a large park across from the hotel, but nothing else around. There is a bus-stop just outside the hotel or you can take a 10 minute cab-ride to the downtown area. They have a good gym which I could not avail of during my short stay. The rooms are comfortable with a refrigerator and a coffee maker. Breakfast is ample but average. The restaurant on premises can provide a decent meal if you do not want to go out which is convenient. The staff is very helpful.
They had a great Travel office where you could book trips. We booked a great all day trip to the Falls and Hot Springs including breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: Most rooms had good views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Corobici, Sales Coordinator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the Hotel Staff we want to express our gratitude for sharing with us your experience in our hotel. Our commitment each and every day is to become the Hotel that our guests love. ... Thank you once again, and we will be looking forward for your future visit.

Sincerely Yours

Sales Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The staff here at the Crowne Plaza is superb. I stay here frequently and the staff has always been so accommodating. In my last stay, my room would not cool down even though the AC was on full blast. Angie at the front desk without hesitation assigned me a new room and she kept apologizing for the inconvenience. She went above and beyond to make my transition to my new room flawless.

The room is cozy, you have an in-room fridge and coffee maker. There's also a dividing door between the bedroom and restroom. Being able to close off your room to the restroom and the room's door is a plus since it makes your room very quiet, also keeps the cold air from escaping to the main areas of the hotel.

I think the best thing about this hotel apart from the staff is the gym. The hotel gives you access to the "Multispa" gym. It's two floors and has a decent sized lap pool, good sized hot tub, modern cardio equipment and there's always a class going on in the upstairs section. They have a stair master there that even my modern gym in the states doesn't have. They do close the hot tub and lap pool at around 5 or 6 for cleaning so if you're looking for a swim try to get there before hand or ask the gym staff.

The Tucan restaurant adjacent to the hotel pool is great. I am not a fan of eating at hotel restaurants but the Tucan has a great selection of international cuisine, light eats and Costa Rican dishes. Mario has been my server many times there and he is attentive but never does he crowd you or making you feel rushed. If you ask him for recommendations, he knows without even looking at the menu. He and the other servers there have always been great.

If after dinner you want to catch a drink, the lobby bar is good too. Again I try not to "live" in a hotel but instead use it to sleep, but when you have a short night you really have to embrace your hotels amenities. Claudio, the bartender is great. He is always busy but always has time to answer questions about menu items or if the bar is stocked with your favorite spirit. He continually comes and checks on you and refills your ice if need be. If you get there on a weekend there is live music, a guitarist plays Spanish and English hits.

If you're concerned with the distance to the city center. it's not too bad of a walk. I have made the walk from the hotel to "Paseo Colon" which is the main street in San Jose, in about 5 minutes. That avenue is lined with US chain restaurants if that's your thing, but there's also lots of mom and pop Costa Rican food spots. It is a good 20-25 min walk to the main areas of downtown San Jose but if you're up for an adventure it's a straight walk there if you stick to just walking on Paseo Colon. If walking isn't your thing a cab can get you there in less than 10 minutes.

Overall this hotel is decent, but the staff makes it amazing. This is a great hotel for anyone looking to have good amenities at a decent rate. Safe Travels!

Room Tip: Your view choices are of La Sabana Metropolitan Park or of the Pan American Highway that leads up to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Corobici, Sales Cordinator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of all employees of Crowne Plaza Corobicí, we wish to express our sincere appreciation for the preference in our services and the time we have spent to share your experiences with us.

Our reason for being, is our customers want every day to grow as professionals we are able to achieve leave a mark on each of the experiences of our customers.

Thank you very much for your recommendation about ours coworkers.

Sincerely yours.

Sales Cordinator
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Pretty standard Intercontinental offer. Good service. Astonishingly good sports facilities including two pools, one with lane swimming, an enormous gym and more. Rooms and general building a little tired but not bad for the region. A little on the edge of town but cabs are cheap and available. Right next to the main park, yet again with lots of sports available.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Corobici, Sales Cordinator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind attention and the time to share with us your comments , at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, we are always looking forward to make our guests have a memorable stay at our hotel. This is our promise of service besides an excellent service. Means our perfect combination to keep Costa Rica in our guests minds.

On behalf of all the Crowne Plaza Hotel Staff, we do hope to be able to host you in a near future in Costa Rica.

Sincerely Yours

Sales Cordinator
Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is in a good location, and the rooms are nice.
But... The wifi doesn't really work in the room.
I requested a wake up call at 5am and they called me 15 minutes too early. When I went to the reception, they assumed I was lying and didn't check the phone record. I then sent an email but they are not answering (they have a program to get a free night if they fail the wake up call).

• Stayed October 2013
Corobici, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Mr Alex:

Thank you very much for your time and for sharing it with us your comments.

Reason why it is very important for us to find out more details regarding to your stayed to make the changes and revisions.

As previous , please accept our sincere apologies ,

Sincerely Yours.

Yorlenny Solano
Operations Manager
yorlenny.solano@corobicicp.co.cr
T:2543-6000 Ext: 192
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is far from the city center.Nothing is closeby for tourists.Roomservice is very expensive you have no choice no restaurant closeby.Taxi rates are high to and from the hotel even after bargaining.Bell boys at the conceierge are the best very helpful.Breakfast is below average.

• Stayed September 2013
Corobici, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of the staff of the Hotel Crowne Plaza Corobicí, we thank you for your valuable words. We will consider your comments to improve our services in the hotel.

Please note that in working to improve the service to our customers.

Thanks for your time to write.

Ana Lucía Zuñiga
Marketing Director
Scottsdale, Arizone
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just returned from week stay. Had some problems at check in about upgrade prices for breakfast and club lounge and my Gold status privileges. left message for guest services for clarification, no response. Next day outlined problem in hand written letter to the general manager. NO REPLY, no nothing for the next five days. It is strange that they can address problem, with a comment in after-the-fact reviews, but they do not have the courtesy to discuss in real time with me. This, to me, shows a complete lack of concern for guest.
On check in room has musty smell due to ac being off when room not occupied and it took several hours for this to go away. House keeping also turned of ac after cleaning room so always returned stuffy humid room. not good when every day there was high humidity from daily rains. The beds were good, linens and towels were also good. Food was okay except, for me poor breakfast tried only once. I was served huge shrimp in the Japanese restaurant that were definitely past their prime; however, serving size of plate was above average. One night wanted fish in regular restaurant however my server was nice enough to say the fish was not so fresh that day and had not been for several days. The staff was not unfriendly, but not overly friendly. Twice left my key in room and the gave me new key without checking ID. On check in asked for city view, but told hotel completely full; however, on checking when arrived in room, the IC web site was still selling several types of rooms in class I was booked. An average hotel at best, but lack of management response and concerns, makes it a poor for me. mini bar prices in any hotel are never good, but were higher than normal here. Good grocery across street to get bottled water and what ever you might want extra in room. Few restaurants in area. Brazil steak house near buy had nice salads, but meats below average and very expensive.

t

Room Tip: higher the better, city side
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Corobici, Sales Cordinator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest : Thank you very much for your time and for sharing it with us your comments. It will be my pleasure to be able to contact you personally and offer our sincere apologies, the meaning of the service is very clear in our daily work. Reason why it is very important for us to find out more details regarding to your room number to make the changes and revisions accordinally. As previous , please accept our sincere apologies , Sincerely Yours. Pamela Vega & Sales Cordinator
Williamson, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a Captain with American Airlines. I had a little problem with my room when I checked in. I went back to the front desk and they were most accommodating and the manager sent up a cheese and fruit platter. Very impressed ! They go out of their way to make you comfortable.
The gym is the BEST of all the destinations I fly all over the world - BEST !!! On par with a Gold's Gym !!!
I give this hotel TWO THUMBS UP !!!
Captain Pat

Room Tip: They are all good rooms !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr Pat:

On behalf of all the hotel staff we will like to express our sincere gratitude for sharing with us your comments . Each day we work with passion to make a better perform than the day before. We are on our way to make the Hotel That Our Guests Love!!!!!

The Crowne Plaza Family will always be our pleasure to host , looking forward for your next visit.

Sincerely Yours :

Ana Lucía Zúñiga
Sales & Marketing Director

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici? Share your experiences!