“Great Room Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sabana Norte, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica (Formerly Tryp Corobici)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Ontario
“Great Room Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in November 2011 for about a week while getting dental work done at a nearby clinic.

We had a Junior Suite that gave us access to the Executive Lounge.

This hotel offers 24 room service.

I must say that this hotel has one of the best room service menus that I have ever seen!

You can get pretty much anything on the menu 24/7.

The prices are very reasonable.

My only issue was that the wireless internet in our room plain and simply sucked.

I brought my computer which had an ethernet port, so I was ok.

My wife brought her iPad that has no ethernet port and she was not fine.

She had to sit in the lobby or the executive lounge to get propper WiFi reception.

Our suite was at the corner of the hotel which may account for the lousy reception.

At least the WiFi service was free.

We also stayed at the JW Marriott in Guanacaste where they charged us $13.95 per device per day and the WiFi at that very expensive hotel was not that good either.

I don't know if the situation improved any but having poor wireless internet reception is not a good idea for a business oriented hotel.

The ethernet worked perectly fine.

The suite that we stayed in was fine.

The hotel is very clean.

Their room service is outstanding.

The room rates are reasonable.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Just make sure that you have an ethernet port on your computer.

Room Tip: For the little extra money, choose an Executive Room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Corobici, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the internet, we have taken this situation into consideration and with an inmediate response.

On behalf of all the Hotel Staff we do appreciate your comments, these comments makes us to become and improve each an every day.

We will be looking forward for your next visit to our country hoping to have the opportunity to host you again.

Sincerely Yours

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night with a friend. The hotel is freshly renovated, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and our waiter very attentive and pleasant to talk to. It is a few km from the heart of the city but well worth the short taxi ride. I would stay here again if I came back to San Jose.

Reading another guest's comments about having to pay $50 extra for escorts, etc they meet at bars and having them sign in and leave ID... what do you expect?? I am glad the hotel is trying to deter guests from using their premises as a bawdy house for sex tourism. It is a very tough position to put a hotel in as most guests don't want hookers walking wandering the halls or using a room they will be staying in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest :

Thank you very much for your kindness in sharing your comments with us, we do appreciate. It will be our pleasure to host your next visit to our hotel.

Sincerely Yours :

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We only stayed here 1 night came in late left early but the hotel is nice. We went to the hotel bar for some snacks and drinks before going out for dinner in the city... It was nice it had a good atmosphere with live music. I did notice the pool is freezing which surprised me because San Jose is colder than the rest of Costa Rica. But since we weren't there long enough to swim or to go to the casino I can't complain about it.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest :

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we do appreciate your time , each and every day our Mision and Vision is to work hard to achive the best memories for our guests to keep.

On behalf of all the staff of the Hotel Crowne Plaza Corobicí, we will be looking forward for your future visit.

Kind regards,

Ana Lucía Zúniga
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you stay at this hotel alone
As many turist do must of the time.
They go to bars, discos, nightclubs meet a friend or have local friends and bring them to the hotel you will find out that the extra charge to have that friend come to you room will be $50.00 per night and their ID will be confiscated until they leave I think a little more and they will finger print them just like getting detained by the police, this is very embarrassing
The problem is that they won't tell you that ahead of time then you and you friend will be in a weird position deciding what to do, mostly if you friend is not an escort or they come from far away you will have no choice but to pay
I think that they should have that in a writen form when you make the reservation and when you check in to avoid this kind of embarrasing moments to their guest unless they just want the mony and don't care.
The guest can make a good decision stay on this hotel or not if they know this ahead of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Corobici, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest :

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, please accept our apologies if we have not mentioned ahead of time this policy , but this is a very delicate issue mostly because we do not activate any protocol until it is needed do do so.

By security reasons all of our guests should register their friends or companions at the front desk , non visitor is allowed to come to any guest room alone or with not been announced.

Our staff will never intend to disturb any guest with inappropiate behavior, but it is also understood that our main goal as well is your own security .

For our Hotel the way our guests feel and their experinces are the most important back up that we achive, we do care and we do understand how you might feel, and will be important for us to know if there is an opportunity for us to host you in a future , knowing also ahead of time that you will might have friends that will visit you and take notice in advance.

Sincerely Yours;

Monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My famliy and I visited this beautiful country 2 years ago, traveling on pleasure... amazing vacations!. Back in that time, It was chosen a hotel more focus to leisure, and we were very happy with our choice (Adventure Inn Hotel).

When I got a new account one year ago based in Costa Rica, I decided to visit my new customer to see his company's infraestructure, therefore I looked for a business oriented hotel that provides what's usually is needed in a business trip.

I have had very nice choices of hotels based from the tripadvisor reviews and this one was not the exception. I decided to give it a try based on the "positives" comments, but I was in fact a little concern about the "negative" ones, but still I booked my two night stay there.

Now, pro's and con's:

What's good:
1. Very competitive price for what you get.
2. Location with a good access to airport, downtown and business complexes.
3. Attention from the staff

What's no so good:
1. Aged looking of the hotel/room in general
2. Expensive breakfast
3. ....nothing else!!!

Eventhough hotel shows its age, everything is perfectly clean and works just fine. There is a casino at the end of the main hall. Bar lounge area is nice and with live music. Lobby area is ok where you can be seated to wait for your business partners. In case you bring a rented car there is a free parking and very secure. Supermarket in front of the hotel (good option to purchase Costa Rican coffe MUCH LESS expensive than in the airport or other turistic areas) and pool area and fitness center are very nice.

There is a "Rostipollos" restaurant really good just by walking distance. Just walk heading the Nissan car sales agency and at the corner and turn right and 100 mts you will find it. I felt secure by walking by night. There is also a Burger king (in case you need one!) and a McDonalds much more further (I don't recommend to walk).

In general I was VERY HAPPY to have chosen this hotel for my quick business trip. Service is really customer oriented. I had a late flight on my day of check out and ladies at the front desk allowed me a late check out with no extra charge.

I highly recommend this hotel for a business trip to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Bon voyage!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest .

Thank you very much for all your comments, in detail, thanks for the time and for letting us know the areas that we do need to make changes. The good news is that Crowne Plaza Brand is comming with a refresh, in color, bedding, and our hotel is part of this worldwide experience, the rooms will be also refreshed, with new colors, carpet, new , modern, actual, bedding, and much more in details and service that will make us look different. Our hotel we are sure will look different ,and feel different.

We will be looking forward for your next visit ,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights as a stop over between Nicaragua and the Caribbean coast of CR. wish I'd perhaps have stayed a little longer really, although there is not a great deal to do in San Jose itself, there are plenty of things to do within about an hour or so drive from the city.

The hotel is as per the usual high standards of the crowne plaza chain, the room was clean and modern, beds comfortable, communal areas spacious. There is free wifi in the communal areas but not in the rooms where you have to pay for it. Tere is a large hotel gym open to residents and locals, I especially enjoyed relaxing in their outside jacuzzi / hot tub during a torrential rainstorm!

Breakfast and room service meals were both very good, I wasn't so fussed with the Japanese restaurant that's part of the hotel, but there were a number of others there who seemed to be very much enjoying their food.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Jose and I would happily return.

Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest :

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we look forward each day to become The Hotel that Guest Love, and we hope that in a future stay we can impact you with our Traditional Japanesse Restaurant,

On behalf of our Staff , we want to share with you a Great Thanks in recommend our hotel to other guests and friends this is our best recommendation business card, your experience. !!!!!

Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Hotel is a big box next to a main road. It has seen better times.
he rooms are spacious and complete, but with old inventory and a slightly filthy old carpet. I am always suspicious about tropical places with carpets, serving as germ catchers.
The bathroom fits the over all impression, ok, but outdated.
Bed sheets were perfectly clean and fresh. the window didn't lock well,mso I had some bus noise beginning at 5am.
Breakfast is an average buffet with nice service. The bar boasts with loud (and utterly inappropriate Latin Hip Hop) music even at 4pm, when one would just want to relax over e beer and make some calls. My request to lower the volume was rejected with the comment "this is a bar, there must be music here."
The BRITT hotel shop is well stocked and attended by really lovely staff.
Check in and check out we're uncomplicated and swift, with a very friendly receptionist. When a line was forming, another receptionist was called immediately.
All in all an ok business stay, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, less street noise!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Your comments are highly appreciate, as per a nice and appropiate news is coming along, Crowne Plaza Hotels are going to suffer in a positive way , a change , the Crowne Plaza Brand will refresh , this change has been taken place slowly from 2011 through 2013, where a change in the colors of the brand, new bedding, carpets in the room, amenities and others , will also make a big difference,

We are taking notes of what you have experienced during your visit, like the noice at the Bar, and the other issues, our major concern is that our guests feel very comfortable at our hotel. We do hope to have an opportunity to take very good care of you in a near future.

Yorleny Solano
Operations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Corobici? Share your experiences!