“Great Great Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Great Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is now my favorite Restaurant in San Jose. The food is wonderful from the salads and soups, to the entrees and desserts and wines. I had the fish filet with a caprese salad, My girlfriend had the shrimp and she loved it. We had 2 bottles of French Wine, one Pinot Noir and the other Cabernet Sauvignon, Very good balanced wines. The Owner, Tomey is a cool guy who loves jazz and blues and since I am a blues musician we had a lot to talk about, He was nice and put on Blues Music by our table with his satellite radio and I was in Music and Food Heaven. Try the French Fries, they are a Specialty of the house and they are some of the best fries I ever had!

92% Recommend
Marin County, CA
“One Of My Favorite Restaurants in The World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I returned from my second trip to San Jose, CR is the past six months just days ago and could not wait to get back to La Bastille for one of Thomy's exquisite offerings. What this restaurant may lack in ambiance and "glitz" (Restaurante Gran De Oro comes to mind) is more than made up for by some of the best and creative cooking anywhere.

I say this having visited something like 100 countries around the globe. His double pan fried french fries are something quite unique and sensational. My first comida del noche in San Jose six months ago was at Restaurante Gran De Oro and my second was at La Bastille. I never went back to Restaurante Gran De Oro, but ate at Restaurante La Bastille almost every night while in San Jose.

You might find other good restaurants in San Jose, but none better when it comes to quality of food, taste, subtleness, quality of presentation and friendliness of the Chef/Owner Thomy. I look forward to my next visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Norwegen
“Super experience in "La Bastille"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Through a guide for marbellatours.com vi got knowledge of Thomy, a Swiss guy who drives this faboulous restaurant.

Vi reserved and went at easter sunday evening to La Bastille. A very quiet day, because everybody in San Jose spent holidays outside the town. So Thomy hat plenty of time for us to talk about our common Swiss background. Time went by with a good drink, his version of Caipirinha, listening to some blues and talking about Montreux Jazzfestival etc.

Then dinner started with "paté". Later followed a champignon soup based on a white wine fond and the main course was pork filé "tonnato" with french fries. Everything was homemade at La Bastille and we could really feel this. The red vine from southern France made the evening perfect.

So thank you Thomy for this evening!

N.B.
avoid marbellatours.com (who has nothing to do with La Bastille!!), even if their guide made this super experience happen for us. This tour operator was one of the few bad experiences during a 5 weeks holiday)

Montreal, Canada
“'' ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS EXPERIENCE''”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A few years ago in 2011 i went to san jose costa rica
for dental work .
My first few days i was there was miserable, i was realy not very impressed with the choice and quality of restaurants. Until i found
Restaurant La Bastille, my first visit was excellent , not a single
detail to excellent tasting food,perfect presentation and great first class
service was neglected. I was truly impressed.
from this point on La Bastille became my second home for a few weeks.
The 5 star food and excellent first class service is obviously the product
of all the T.L.C. that Thomy the owner and head chef of La Bastille devotes to his obvious passion.

In 2013 i revisited San Jose for more dental work
and the first place i went to after checking in to the
hotel was La Bastille for dinner
I was impressed to find absolutely everything just as
delicious and succulent as my last visit was.
Everything i ordered was always served with detail to the very best
tasting and quality foods and not to mention the extra attentive five star service that Thomy my favourite chef always made sure was part of the dining experience you will live when you visit Restaurant La Bastille!

p.s. don't forget to try the excellent house wine

• Visited January 2013
Tres Ríos, Cartago, Costa Rica
“Amazing client attention, even better food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Not much to say, words wouldn't be enough.
I've decided to try some french food with my couple, so we headed to San Jose and asked for a place, which ended up with us at the door of La Bastille, the restaurant wasn't still open, but the Chef came out and asked if we wanted to eat at his restaurant, the attention he gave us was very special, it was obvious that he was very interested in making our visit something that we wouldn't easily forget.
Then, he recomended us his own versión of vitello tonnato, which was one of the best dishes i have ever ate, the flavor and texture of the traditional sauce poured into Corvina Reina (an expensive but delicious fish) was something hard to describe.
The chef was very kind, and asked us if we were comfortable and if we enjoyed the dish, and surprisingly, te overall cost of the two dishes and a pair of lemonades was only 16000 colones (32 dollars)
We really enjoyed it, and we recommend La Bastille if you want amazing food with a good value

Visited September 2012