“Embassy stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 85 hotels in San Jose
chicago
“Embassy stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Chose this hotel for its close proximity to the US Embassy, only 2 blocks. Also walking distance to McDonalds and a Quiznos and a short cab ride to malls, better restaurants. Very close to National Stadium as well.

I had a standard room the first night and upgraded to Deluxe the second night. Do yourself a favor-upgrade! $10 more and much better...new bed, linens, flat screen, nice bathroom.

Room Tip: Upgrade to deluxe
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This Expat having stayed here several times now over my moving here to CR. This is a very wounderful, well appointed hotel. If you enjoy chinese food... all that is needed here is a walk down to the lobby. The wonderful smells coming from their restaurant is like a "magnet". I do love it! But, their is for someone like myself... a Mc Donalds across and up the road. Where, I live we have not one!
This is also maybe my last stay here. I was just here at the end of September and spent the night. I was flying out on Nature Airlines to Nicaragua. I have found out that Nature Air is moving all of it flights over to SJO airport, so it will in my case not be practical to stay this far from the main airport. If your going to be in or near downtown SJ, this is the place to stay!!

Room Tip: Don't panic... If it takes what seems a long time to get "hot" water, try the other fa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We recently stayed at Isle Verde on our initial arrival to Costa Rica. The hotel is a $30.00 cab ride from the international airport and the rental car agencies do not provide pick up nor is there an airport shuttle.

The rooms were very nice ( Modern, Quiet and Comfortable) and the restaurant was adequate and the personnel relatively attentive. We experienced staff with modest English skills but a sincere interest in helping.

Overall, we would stay here again if our plans called for San Jose travel.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good and quiet. Also easy access to the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Isla Verde as a medical tourist in Costa Rica. Having a restaurant in the hotel was important to me and the food was awesome, too! It was pleasantly clean, aesthetic and very comfortable. I felt very safe and even cared for by the personnel. Each was very accommodating and eager to go the extra mile anytime for me.

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

When I was in quite the perdicament in Costa Rica, Isla Verde and those who work there were absolutely amazing. With the location so close to the U.S. Embassy, they were able to provide me with a room and the best service. Their wi-fi was fast enough to make crucial phone calls to the U.S and they helped me get back home! I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a trip for my work as travel agent.
Me and my colleagues were assigned to different hotels to check out what we could offer to our clients. This hotel was a very nice surprise!
They recently finished building their deluxe rooms and they are absolutely beautiful and comfortable. We had a quick tour trough the hotel and very much liked it.
For the price I would recommend a deluxe room. It has a beautiful bathroom, comfortable beds, flat screen tv, AC, coffee maker..just everything you need.
The location is also perfect, not in the center but close enough, also to the Airport.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
lucia S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Nadieh,

On behalf of Isla Verde Hotel and Restaurant, we want to thank you for taking the time in posting your comments on Trip Advisor!

It satisfies us to know that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay with us!

We appreciate you recommending us to your clients and look forward to have you again when in San José!

Best regards,

Lucia Shum
Customer Relations Manager
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife, 5 year old daughter and I stayed at Isla Verde for just one night prior to flying out of the San Jose International Airport. We booked it on a whim, and were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel!

The hotel itself is quite lovely, with the open atrium, clean simple lines and colors, and amenities (like an attached Asian restaurant! Yum!) and workout room. We stayed in a Superior room in the new wing of the hotel. So modern. So hip. So comfortable! The beds were some sort of amazing Simmons mattress--sort of like a Tempurpedic, but better!! And the bathroom was awesome with the rainshower shower head and beautiful simple design.

The free breakfast in the morning was simple, but tasty. The coffee however was not so great. :(

So, overall: Thumbs up for comfortable, stylish accommodation for a great value! Not a great fit if you need/want something to "do" while relaxing at the hotel. There's the workout room, but with no pool or hot tub, that might be a drawback for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Peter M,

It satisfies us to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us!

We´re sorry you didn´t like our coffee! We use a very well known pure coffee brand called "1820", so perhaps was sitting for a while when you had it during breakfast -we will be very careful with this-. However, we hope you´ve enjoyed the complimentary gourmet "Britt" coffee in your room.

Thanks again for choosing our Hotel and we look forward to have you again when in San José!

Best regards,

Lucia Shum
Customer Relations Manager

Been to Isla Verde Hotel? Share your experiences!