We recently stayed at Casa Colon for one night at the end of a trip and it was perfect for our needs. With a private room, it had more of a hotel feel than a hostel feel. It's in that mid-range of pricing that seems hard to find in San Jose (the $30-50 range). The building is quite nice with clean lines and pleasant decorating; the room clean and not shoebox tiny and with a window (not a view); the breakfast was what you would expect for an included meal (aka pretty meh as to quality) but starts early (6am, although coffee was not ready at that time). We discovered a nice patio area that we would definitely sit on with some beverages next time. There's wifi plus AC and cable TV.
The location is fantastic. It's just a few blocks from rental cars, the Tica Bus station, and the Corner Pizzeria. It's walking distance from a Mas X Menos, Sabana Park, and the pedestrian mall on Paseo Colon including the National Theater, etc. Our room was on the backside and with the window shut and AC on we were not bothered by any traffic noise.
This is now our go to place in San Jose for short term stays (for long term, we look for AirBnB apartments). We like it better than a more expensive hotel we'd previously tried (bigger room, better location, breakfast included, all for less money). It's more expensive that a hostel we'd previously tried but since the location eliminates our need for a taxi to reach say the Tica Bus station or the rental car offices on Paseo Colon, the price difference is offset (and it was much more comfortable).
As a final note - largest and fluffiest towels ever! The evil angel on my shoulder thought I should steal one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hostel Casa Colon is a beautiful colonial house in the 50s, with an architectural design typical of the period, with artisan hand carved cedar. We are a boutique Hostel with excellent quality, higher standards of each of the services Located in an excellent tourist and commercial area with easy access to services (banks, ATM machines, supermarkets, bars, restaurants, gas stations, shops, transport, etc) We offer private and shared rooms, bar and restaurant, security, excellent customer service and tourist information, free parking, TV room with flat screen cable TV. The comfortable private rooms have flat screen, cable TV, wireless internet access and housekeeping. (In addition sofa in Junior Suite) The dorms have bunk beds, free lockers, shared bathrooms spotless. The bar and restaurant offers delicious dishes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, HostelWorld, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hostel Casa Colon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostel Casa Colon Hotel San Jose
- Hostel Casa Colon Costa Rica/San Jose