“Terrible service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Casa Colon

Save Saved
You added Hostel Casa Colon to your Saves list
Hostel Casa Colon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Colon, Calle 24 Norte | Contiguo a Torre Mercedes, San Jose 1255-1200, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #33 of 85 hotels in San Jose
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

The common areas are nice but the rooms very small and the windows go out to the hallway wich was really desturbing at night. Bad fans in the rooms so it was very warm. The service was a joke but they spoke english at least. Terrible breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I am not one for usually staying in Hostels given their general noise levels and having to share rooms with strangers but sometimes in order to save cash you have to bite the bullet and do it. Some hostels I have stayed in have had dorms that were pleasant and roomy but not this place.

I had made a reservation and requested an all-female room and upon checking in I discovered quickly that I was going to be put into a mixed gender room. Well, you can imagine my reaction and no, I would not accept that. I found out later that seems to be a policy here....do not accept that if you are a woman who is used to her dignity.

When I saw the dorm room I was appalled to see a smallish room with four bunk beds crammed into it. There are rooms here even smaller than the one I was in with the same amount of beds, other rooms with six bunks and a few private rooms (overpriced for what you get).

The bathrooms were clean when I got here and I was able to enjoy a hot water shower. Two hours later however, no hot water and the bathroom was getting messy. People can be such pigs.

The afternoon/night manager - now here is a position that should just be eliminated given his propensity for surliness, for wanting to sit upstairs and entertain his friends (drinking and playing loud crap music) and not deal with the running of a place that can get quite busy. The upper outdoor decks, nice places to have drinks and such - well, I did not feel comfortable there and after telling him I was unhappy, as were many other guests, he still did nothing.

He partied til four in the morning. I hope his hangover is spectacular. It should be noted that folks do like to party here and one gentleman in particular (a rude one at that) was passing out in one of big comfy chairs, Cuba Libre precariously balanced on his lap. I tried to remove his drink to a safer spot, he woke up and said "who gives a fart about the furniture?" The manager saw this and still did nothing.

If this were my business I would fire him on the spot and kick out Mr. Cuba Libre. This place calls itself a "boutique hostel" but all the nice furniture in the world does not make it seem any better than any old hostel out there....yes, you meet cool folks like I have but you also meet your fair share of jerks.

The casa itself is elegantly decorated and furnished, the Wifi is decent enough and the kitchen churns out some damned good food at reasonable prices.

Get rid of the manager, make the rooms feel less like jail, have evening cleaning staff and then I will promote this place.

The location it should be stated though, is perfect in terms of proximity to bus terminals and other important amenities.

Room Tip: Get a hotel room and share it with someone.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We paid for the best room" "the superior " but we spent the night in the Inferior one. The alleged Superior room was already given to some else, despite we paid for it two weeks before our arrival. Then, tired, hungry after 8 hours on the airplane,we decided to take whatever. Big mistake....the room was infested with cucrachs , the ugly room with five beds instead of one king size. The following day, at check out time, the reception attendant demanded from us to bring down the soiled towels from the room, when we refused to do so, se demanded in a loud command voice .
The is the ugliest experience we ever have in years of traveling. We won't ever recommend Casa Colon Hostel to any fellow traveler.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night upon arriving in San Jose. When we arrived to the hotel around 7pm, the doors were locked and no one was at the front desk. As 3 young females, we really didn't enjoy having to stand outside with all of our bags while random men approached us trying to chat. After about 15 minutes the girl working the desk wandered back and let us in. She ended up not being remotely helpful, and couldn't tell us basic things like how long it would take to get to our next destination (Manuel Antonio), how much it would cost for a private car, how to book a private car, etc. It was pretty strange.

In the morning, no one was around to ask about breakfast (sensing a theme here) so we had to go into the kitchen to ask a woman in there. She begrudgingly made us 3 plates of eggs and fruit. When it's included in the price, shouldn't it be easier to get? Weird.

The perks were the pretty lobby and the fast wifi. But everything else was sort of dingy, kind of weird, and definitely not worth coming back to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Well the title pretty much says it all, having been a former hostel manager and working in the backer tourism market for many years I had to think long and hard if I have ever seen a nicer hostel out of the many hundreds that I have visited. Simply put the aesthetics of this hostel are sublime, from the art deco furnishings to the colonial architecture of what was formerly a castle this hostel is just stunning. I didn't get a chance to try the food, but the beds are great, bathrooms were all clean, the rooms large and spacious and the counter staff were extremely friendly. I would absolutely recommend this to any backpacker passing through. Also I should mention the location is fantastic, loads of eateries nearby and most importantly the Tica bus terminal is less than 10min walking distance

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toluca, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my husband for 2 nights. The hotel was really confortable, the staff really helpful and we were able to rest after a long day of walking. The room was very clean and a bit noisy in the room facing Ave. Colon, but nevertheless we sleep perfectly. The breakfast was perfect for initiating the day and it's located in a great spot. Thumbs up!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

If you come in it is really beautiful! we paid $48 for a private room. we checked in and assoon Aaron i walked into the bathroom you could tell that they done a poorly job cleaning it. there where hairs everywhere and also dirt on the shower wall which could have been everything. also when i said something the next day, the girl behind the reception as very rude and did not care at all. i still thing the place is still nice but just to overpriced for what is it.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hostel Casa Colon? Share your experiences!