“Great stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Casa Colon

Save Saved
You added Hostel Casa Colon to your Saves list
Hostel Casa Colon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Colon, Calle 24 Norte | Contiguo a Torre Mercedes, San Jose 1255-1200, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #30 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Toluca, Mexico
“Great stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my husband for 2 nights. The hotel was really confortable, the staff really helpful and we were able to rest after a long day of walking. The room was very clean and a bit noisy in the room facing Ave. Colon, but nevertheless we sleep perfectly. The breakfast was perfect for initiating the day and it's located in a great spot. Thumbs up!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

If you come in it is really beautiful! we paid $48 for a private room. we checked in and assoon Aaron i walked into the bathroom you could tell that they done a poorly job cleaning it. there where hairs everywhere and also dirt on the shower wall which could have been everything. also when i said something the next day, the girl behind the reception as very rude and did not care at all. i still thing the place is still nice but just to overpriced for what is it.

• Stayed February 2013
Central America
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was very disappointed in may stay at Hostel Casa Colon. When I first arrived, the receptionist seemed rather uninterested and didn't even lead me to the room. Instead she just pointed up the stairs and said it's up there.

So I get to my room and it's nothing like the pictures on the website. It's very cramped and hot with little ventilation except for the small window to the street.

Next I check out the bathrooms. FILTHY!!! Not only filthy, but dimly lit. They smelled bad and the bins were nearly full of toilet paper. I think they have like about 2 toilets for 16+ people and do a bad job of cleaning. I wound up not even taking a shower because I was so grossed out by the conditions.

To top it off when I get into my bed, there was sand in it and the sheets were dirty. I think they just made the beds without even changing the sheets. How does this happen? Then when I ask the front desk for new sheets, they handed me sheets and told me to change it myself. And the sheets were not even the right size for the bed!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hostel is in a Spanish Colonial home that has been newly refinished.

I happened to stay in the first floor room which probably was not the best.

It is right near the bar/lounge area so it was ridiculously noisy until midnight or so. Also, the first floor bathroom and showers are accessible only though the bar area. It is a bit strange to walk through the bar en route to a shower.

Other than the room location, the hostel is great. They have a nice breakfast that you can get for 400 or 500 Colones.

Room Tip: If you can, don't get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

AND, I am not of the age group lots of hostel settlers tend to be. Having spent the previous two nights at a hostel two blocks away where males were segregated from females, it was a shock to walk into this dorm room and see a man settled into his lower bunk! The property is a joy to be in with lovely wood banisters and gorgeous tiled floors. The previous hostel had 3 computers to use so I was spoiled when learning Colon only had one in a small confined space near the desk. None the less, it was available for my use when needed. The front desk attendants were helpful; sometimes too helpful! Edward wanted to help me so much I let him make a bus reservation for me a few days away so it would be in place when I returned from Monteverde. That turned out to be a huge mess when I could not make the bus ride and was charged anyway ($47). I had only been in a hostel the previous 2 nights! new experience for me and with the budget low, I managed with the dorm rooms. They were kept tidy, had lockers and waste baskets. The bathrooms were a ways off, but plenty to choose from. A towel was given with the room key; as long as you returned both when leaving there was no charge. The breakfast was $5 extra and not something I needed, so I paid just the $16 for dorm room and was happy enough. I was able to make my own cup of tea with their microwave keeping up the caffeine fix! I was fortunate in having respectful people staying in the hostel while I was there so noise and late comings was kept to a minimum. I paid $8 for a load of wash to be done; when I asked if I could wash a few things myself I was NO! It is located in a decent area; grocery store close by and the main central street right there.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the main floor as well as upstairs, so if you have lots to carry, check first for...
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hostel is within walking distance from both the Coca Cola Bus Terminal (for Jaco, Quepos, Manuel Antonio) and TicaBus Station (long trips out of CR) as well as the major markets (Central and Artisan) in San Jose. Its a big beautiful spacy with comfy couches for lounging on, and lots of tables in the bar area for hanging. I found it very comfortable. Its a bit noisy, because of the location, but if you avoid the room right off the front door, I haven't found the noise to be a problem. I've stay in a couple of the dorm style rooms, always clean with comfy beds, enough blankets, and a clean towel. Both times I showed up with out a reservation and they were accommodating and friendly. I've never paid for breakfast as there are two bakeries with in a couple blocks. I do think its a bit on the expensive side, primarily because the communal bathrooms suck. The tile is placed so the showers drain poorly and they get a little too much use to stay completely clean. So, I haven't quite decided if its worth the money, however, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't regret it, you just might find it a tiny bit lacking for the cost.

Room Tip: Back of the building to avoid noise and be closer to the bathroom
Hamilton, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The rooms are very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the hostel itself is quite nice and well-kept. The staff were kind and helpful. It was a bit noisy, but that is probably to be expected anywhere in central San Jose. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much closer to the washrooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Casa Colon? Share your experiences!