“Solo but not alone” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Casa Colon

Save Saved
You added Hostel Casa Colon to your Saves list
Hostel Casa Colon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Colon, Calle 24 Norte | Contiguo a Torre Mercedes, San Jose 1255-1200, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Solo but not alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

AND, I am not of the age group lots of hostel settlers tend to be. Having spent the previous two nights at a hostel two blocks away where males were segregated from females, it was a shock to walk into this dorm room and see a man settled into his lower bunk! The property is a joy to be in with lovely wood banisters and gorgeous tiled floors. The previous hostel had 3 computers to use so I was spoiled when learning Colon only had one in a small confined space near the desk. None the less, it was available for my use when needed. The front desk attendants were helpful; sometimes too helpful! Edward wanted to help me so much I let him make a bus reservation for me a few days away so it would be in place when I returned from Monteverde. That turned out to be a huge mess when I could not make the bus ride and was charged anyway ($47). I had only been in a hostel the previous 2 nights! new experience for me and with the budget low, I managed with the dorm rooms. They were kept tidy, had lockers and waste baskets. The bathrooms were a ways off, but plenty to choose from. A towel was given with the room key; as long as you returned both when leaving there was no charge. The breakfast was $5 extra and not something I needed, so I paid just the $16 for dorm room and was happy enough. I was able to make my own cup of tea with their microwave keeping up the caffeine fix! I was fortunate in having respectful people staying in the hostel while I was there so noise and late comings was kept to a minimum. I paid $8 for a load of wash to be done; when I asked if I could wash a few things myself I was NO! It is located in a decent area; grocery store close by and the main central street right there.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the main floor as well as upstairs, so if you have lots to carry, check first for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hostel is within walking distance from both the Coca Cola Bus Terminal (for Jaco, Quepos, Manuel Antonio) and TicaBus Station (long trips out of CR) as well as the major markets (Central and Artisan) in San Jose. Its a big beautiful spacy with comfy couches for lounging on, and lots of tables in the bar area for hanging. I found it very comfortable. Its a bit noisy, because of the location, but if you avoid the room right off the front door, I haven't found the noise to be a problem. I've stay in a couple of the dorm style rooms, always clean with comfy beds, enough blankets, and a clean towel. Both times I showed up with out a reservation and they were accommodating and friendly. I've never paid for breakfast as there are two bakeries with in a couple blocks. I do think its a bit on the expensive side, primarily because the communal bathrooms suck. The tile is placed so the showers drain poorly and they get a little too much use to stay completely clean. So, I haven't quite decided if its worth the money, however, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't regret it, you just might find it a tiny bit lacking for the cost.

Room Tip: Back of the building to avoid noise and be closer to the bathroom
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The rooms are very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the hostel itself is quite nice and well-kept. The staff were kind and helpful. It was a bit noisy, but that is probably to be expected anywhere in central San Jose. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much closer to the washrooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Quepos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have travelled far and wide in Central America and always stay at hostels. I actually live in Playa Manuel Antonio and come occassionally to San Jose and spend the night. I somehow missed this one...and was glad I found it. I just happened to be passing by on Paseo Colon going to another hostel when I saw Casa Colon and thought I should go check it out. My mouth dropped open when I saw how incredibly beautiful it was. Furniture, floor plan, restaurant, bathrooms, showers..TV room or gathering room. Everything was totally top notch. I had a good night sleep better than I have had in previous hostels and now I find myself going to San Jose more frequent. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Casa Colon. The receptionists deserve a mention also. They are great, friendly and aim to please.

Room Tip: As for one in the back so the street noise doesn't disturb you....They are very accomodating.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my first time in a hostel, and it was amazing it didnt feel like a hostel. the staff were very accommodating, and Linda went out of her way to help us with everything we needed. On the weekends the bar does play the music really loud, so make sure your room is far away from there as possible.

Room Tip: The private rooms are worth the money, especially if you are not used to hostels. On weekends the ba...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for one evening.
Amazing service, clean, and very reasonable price for what they offer.
Even the food was good.

ABOUT THE NOISE COMPLAINT: This is in the HEART of San José. Our window faced the street and we didn't have much noise (Friday night). They did have a "social night" (loud people drinking and talking), but it was until about 9:30pm, then things began to quiet down and by 10pm things were pretty quiet.

Even still... this is not the place you should be staying at if you are looking for quiet R and R-the rest of Costa Rica is much better suited for that.

So if you are looking for a place to stay in between stops, or need a place to stay for a few days while in the city, look no further!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you book throughnExpedia, make sure to confirm with the hotel personally that they have a record of the reservation. We showed up in the evening, and the lady, despite nice, had no record of us. Good thing they had an empty room, but I see other travelers have not been so lucky!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Casa Colon? Share your experiences!