“Very nice beds and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Casa Colon

You added Hostel Casa Colon to your Saves list
Hostel Casa Colon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Colon, Calle 24 Norte | Contiguo a Torre Mercedes, San Jose 1255-1200, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
“Very nice beds and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hostel is within walking distance from both the Coca Cola Bus Terminal (for Jaco, Quepos, Manuel Antonio) and TicaBus Station (long trips out of CR) as well as the major markets (Central and Artisan) in San Jose. Its a big beautiful spacy with comfy couches for lounging on, and lots of tables in the bar area for hanging. I found it very comfortable. Its a bit noisy, because of the location, but if you avoid the room right off the front door, I haven't found the noise to be a problem. I've stay in a couple of the dorm style rooms, always clean with comfy beds, enough blankets, and a clean towel. Both times I showed up with out a reservation and they were accommodating and friendly. I've never paid for breakfast as there are two bakeries with in a couple blocks. I do think its a bit on the expensive side, primarily because the communal bathrooms suck. The tile is placed so the showers drain poorly and they get a little too much use to stay completely clean. So, I haven't quite decided if its worth the money, however, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't regret it, you just might find it a tiny bit lacking for the cost.

Room Tip: Back of the building to avoid noise and be closer to the bathroom
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Hamilton, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The rooms are very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the hostel itself is quite nice and well-kept. The staff were kind and helpful. It was a bit noisy, but that is probably to be expected anywhere in central San Jose. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much closer to the washrooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Quepos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have travelled far and wide in Central America and always stay at hostels. I actually live in Playa Manuel Antonio and come occassionally to San Jose and spend the night. I somehow missed this one...and was glad I found it. I just happened to be passing by on Paseo Colon going to another hostel when I saw Casa Colon and thought I should go check it out. My mouth dropped open when I saw how incredibly beautiful it was. Furniture, floor plan, restaurant, bathrooms, showers..TV room or gathering room. Everything was totally top notch. I had a good night sleep better than I have had in previous hostels and now I find myself going to San Jose more frequent. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Casa Colon. The receptionists deserve a mention also. They are great, friendly and aim to please.

Room Tip: As for one in the back so the street noise doesn't disturb you....They are very accomodating.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank donareina
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my first time in a hostel, and it was amazing it didnt feel like a hostel. the staff were very accommodating, and Linda went out of her way to help us with everything we needed. On the weekends the bar does play the music really loud, so make sure your room is far away from there as possible.

Room Tip: The private rooms are worth the money, especially if you are not used to hostels. On weekends the ba...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for one evening.
Amazing service, clean, and very reasonable price for what they offer.
Even the food was good.

ABOUT THE NOISE COMPLAINT: This is in the HEART of San José. Our window faced the street and we didn't have much noise (Friday night). They did have a "social night" (loud people drinking and talking), but it was until about 9:30pm, then things began to quiet down and by 10pm things were pretty quiet.

Even still... this is not the place you should be staying at if you are looking for quiet R and R-the rest of Costa Rica is much better suited for that.

So if you are looking for a place to stay in between stops, or need a place to stay for a few days while in the city, look no further!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael B
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

If you book throughnExpedia, make sure to confirm with the hotel personally that they have a record of the reservation. We showed up in the evening, and the lady, despite nice, had no record of us. Good thing they had an empty room, but I see other travelers have not been so lucky!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaybaybay
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

My friend and I arrived late in the evening after our flight from the states. We had booked a private room and were hoping to get a good night's rest. Upon our arrival they told us the horrible news that a group of Italian boys had stayed in our room the night before and had TOTALLY TRASHED the room. They offered to put us in a dorm-style room...this is not what we wanted but given it was nearly 23:00, we just wanted to shower and sleep. The woman lied and said there were only 2 other girls in the room but when we walked in, there were at least 4 people in the room. We decided to leave Casa Colon and had the girl at the front desk help us book a most horrible place a block down the road at Hotel Ambassador (that's another review). Instead of offering to completely remove the bill for us the girl walked us down the grimy, late-night streets of San Jose to the other hotel and just paid the difference. Unbelievably so, the room at Ambassador was 20 dollars more expensive (lord knows why!!!) We were hoping for a great first night in San Jose but unfortunately, Casa Colon left us with a very bitter feeling.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends