I have stayed at this hostel quite a few times since the start of 2012. I keep going back and having had some quite different stays there I am now starting to weigh up whether I actually think it is worth the extra money over other hostels in San Jose (of which I have been to about 5 others).
Starting with the good points. I like that there is a bar and restaurant in the hostel as sometimes this can just be more convenient (and nicer) than the ample supply of fast food chains on Paseo Colon. The rooms and bathrooms are always spotless and the beds comfy. The place feels more like a hotel rather than a hostel. The cleaners are always milling around and the staff are friendly and happy to help.
On the downside, some of the rooms are really noisy through the night and the morning. One of them to the point that i couldnt sleep in there as every 2 minutes the beeping of the pedestrian crossing by it would go off. Many people have commented on the noise before and this is just what you get with a hostel situated on Paseo Colon. However, the noise from the restaurant and bar has also been too much on a couple of occasions. If this was down to people staying at the hostel then you just have to take it, but the owners seem to put on a lot of functions for large groups. As someone else also commented, this can make the location of the downstairs bathrooms somewhat tricky if you are in a dorm and need to walk through the bar to get to the shower! At the beginning they also seemed to have many wifi and hot water problems, but this seems to have been rectified now. The wifi isnt the fasted I have had in a hostel still though.
The breakfast is nice, but as you need to pay $5 extra for the basic breakfast this isn't great value compared to other hostels that will give you pancakes/fruit and include in the bed price which is already cheaper.
Overall, I think that maybe it isn't worth staying here (compared to other hostels in San Jose) if your budget is stretched. But if you end up here you will be happy.
- Also Known As:
- Hostel Casa Colon Hotel
- Hostel Casa Colon Hotel San Jose
- Hostel Casa Colon Costa Rica/San Jose
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Number one and First new “Premium Hostel” in Central America, at Hostel rates, now here in Costa Rica, with high quality accommodations, located in the best tourist-residential, quick access and safest area in San Jose, with lots of things to do around like Museums, Theaters, Parks, night life, entertainment and plenty of services and public transportation to anywhere in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Hostel Casa Colon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.