“Great Budget Hotel Walking Distance from Many Places Business and Pleasure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ritzli

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel Ritzli
You added Hotel Ritzli to your Saves list
Calle 0 , avenida 8-10 | 250 Mts Sur del Parque central, San Jose 10000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #58 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Tucson, Arizona
“Great Budget Hotel Walking Distance from Many Places Business and Pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have stayed at the Ritzli 4 times now. I go there when I have appointments at Clinica Biblica and want to shop downtown. The hotel is just 4 blocks north of Biblica, 4 blocks south of the major shopping area on Calle Central. It is possible to walk from the Ritzli to the Coca Cola bus station area (it is a good long walk, but not difficult).
The staff at the Ritzli are very kind and helpful. The hotel is always clean and quiet. There are rooms located near the front of the hotel adjacent to Calle Central, but I've always received a room well off the street. They offer a free sparse continental breakfast in the morning (usually just toast, juice and coffee. On my last visit they included fresh fruit.). I ordered a real breakfast once and found it to be overpriced for what I received. Best to just grab something in one of the local restaurants if you need a hearty meal.
They have allowed me to stow my luggage when I knew my appts. were going to run long.
I appreciate having a safe convenient, quiet, clean space to stay when I must visit downtown San Jose. It's where I will continue to stay when in that part of the city. Note that beds are full size. Sheets are not cotton. Bring your own shampoo. A couple of the rooms have the bathroom adjacent to your room rather than opening into your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well back from Calle Central. Some bathrooms are quite small. If you need a large b...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank EliseChase

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Convenient location. Able to walk to downtown sights and shops. Affordable hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
3 Thank wahoowa91
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed in San Jose for an extended weekend. I needed a cheap place to rest my head at night and which would allow me easy access to downtown's Gold Museum and the Avenida Central pedestrian shopping mall.
Hotel Ritzli is a few blocks south of the Parque Central, which makes it really the perfect location to walk anywhere of interest in San Jose.
The decor is rather austere in a Swiss/German practical style, but it was clean and quiet!
The cheapest room is $32, a single bed with no private bath. However the bath is right next door and no other guests use the one assigned to your room. I also had a 10% discount from a local map, so my total came to $28 - with breakfast included! You can get your own bath for a little more. I had no TV but there is free Wi-Fi in the common areas.
Once again, for a short stay in downtown, this was just perfect! I did not walk around the area at night since I was travelling solo, but during the day it is perfectly safe and the area is lively.

On an unrelated note: I really enjoyed the Tico Tour walking tour at 10am in front of the Teatro Nacional as well. The tour guide, a historian, was knowledgeable and really allowed us foreigners a peek into the heart of San Jose, as it once might have been. You can easily walk there from the Ritzli Hotel.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo