“Calvin Rocks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tiquicia Hotel

Tiquicia Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Tiquicia Hotel
9 Ave, 3 y 3 bis Str. No. 346 | Barrio Amon, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 52 San Jose B&B and Inns
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Calvin Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Calvin the owner was so much more than gracious. All my needs were met beyond expectations. Secure, Safe, Close to the action. I've stayed here twice and will continue to do so in the future

Room Tip: Off Street rooms are better.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Simply put, after being at another place where my stuff got stolen I went to Hotel Tiquicia. The comfort was amazing, the environment was nice and Calvin who runs the hotel was simply one of the most amazing people that I have ever met in my life. When I was there I was treated like family.

It felt more like a home than a hotel, which to me is more valuable. I could have stayed at the Hilton or something like that, but remember, I'm going to Costa Rica for the feel and to get away from the traditional hotel experience.

I loved it there and honestly speaking, I cannot wait to return. I love Hotel Tiquicia and Calvin who runs it, who I now consider my brother, and all the staff who works there.

When I'm in Costa Rica, Tiquicia Hotel is my home away from home.

By the way, you can't miss the breakfast. The big breakfast, the humming birds that flock around the back patio alone are worth the reservations. But theirs something about that "BIG BREAKFAST"

Room Tip: The whole place is fantastic. I can't tell you which room is the best room because I'm going...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I spent 17 days in San Jose having dental work done. Reserved my first night at Tiquicia so I would have a place to stay and could look at other alternatives. I looked at other places, but couldn't beat the combination lo price and central location, so I spent all my nights there. Very good breakfast, Available computer to use. And use of the lobby TV with DVD's to watch were plusses.

Calvin (the owner) was personable and knowledgable about the area and had excellent recomendations of busineses in the area. (He walked 7 blocks with me to make sure I found the optometrist he recommended!). Calvin also graciously invited me out with him on a Friday evening and showed me some of his favorite spots.

Ellis was incredable. Always upbeat and smiling. Helpful with directions, reccomendations for restaurants, excursions and willing to speak for me on the phone when my spanish skills were not up to par. Exceptional customer service. More like a good friend. I was a trainer for the Ritz Carlton chain of hotels and Ellis natural personality and friendlyness was superior to anyone I trained for them.

I will stay at Tiquicia when I am in San Jose and suggest it for concideraation.

Room Tip: I liked room 6, but the bathroom is down the hall.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My second time was even better.Outstanding service from concierge Ellis...As Always owner Robinson very helpful.Calvin Robinson is my consiglieri(counselor) in Costa Rica with him u cant talk about anything.,either a relationship or how to start a business in CR
Manager Ellis Ellon will move mountains to get whatever u want in San Jose!!
ALSO THE ACTION IN SAN JOSE IS WALKING DISTANCE FROM THE HOTEL IF U KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!
THIS HOTEL WILL BE MY PERMANENT HOTEL IN SAN JOSE.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hotel Tiquicia for week, I was in San Jose to have major dental work done (nine implants). my dentist told me that I needed 48 hours of bed rest. I have to give the owner Calvin and the manager Ellis 10 Stars for the service they provided to me. The airline lost one of my bags, Ellis dealt with them and had it delivered the next day. I needed a cab to and from the dentist office, Ellis handled that, I could not eat solid food for two days, Ellis went to store bought the all ingredients and made me homemade soup. I wanted to see some of Costa Rica before I left, Ellis scheduled a day trip for me to see the volcano, and a coffee plantation. Calvin breakfast made a delicious break breakfast every morning. If I needed anything, all I had to do was ask. Although my face had swollen to twice its size, they both keep telling me it was not that bad and that it was getting better every day.

I normally go for a 4 or 5 star hotel, but I am so glad that I stay at the Tiquicia, the location is great, the rooms and the hotel is very clean, the price is nice, and service is beyond expectations! I really feel that I made a couple of friends for life. And wish I had spoken to them about my dental needs before I had scheduled a appointment with my present dentist, the they are expanding into medical tourism too.
Needless to say, I’ll be back in six months to get my permanent crows, guess where I will be staying at?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Adrian, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed for a week at the Hotel Tiquicia. I had stayed at a few other Hotels in Costa Rica and the staff at all of them were very nice, but at Hotel Tiquicia you are more then a guest, you are part of the family. Ellis and Calvin are 2 great guys who do their best to make you feel at home during your stay.
Saturday night we were treated to a wonderful Mackerel dinner with all the trimmings. It was a great way to start the night. After Calvin invited me to a Birthday party that went till the wee hours of the Morning.
If its your first trip to Costa Rica I highly suggest you consider Hotel Tiquicia. These guys will help you in anyway they can. If it be tours, travel destinations or any question or concern you may have during your stay. The guys are very knowledgeable and helpful. If you have been to Costa Rica before and haven’t checked it out I suggest you do. During my next trip I will be sure to stop by and say hi to my “extended family” in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

Hotel Tiquicia is an older hotel that gives you a feeling of a home. Bars resturantes are close. The breakfast was eggs, pancakes, and fruit was very good! The use of the kitchen makes a friendly area for conversations as well as cooking. It is a great value.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Tiquicia Hotel? Share your experiences!