“I loved this restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant la Terrasse

Restaurant la Terrasse
Avenida 9, Calle 15 | 25 metros al sur del Hotel La Amistad, San Jose 100, Costa Rica
+506 8939 8470
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 345 Restaurants in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Tambor, Costa Rica
“I loved this restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

It is in a old colonial white building with a chandelier hanging out front! That is what caught my eye. How do you keep a chandelier on the streets of San Jose? (The owner said he had to take it down at night.) The street is very nice - a good area. The restaurant is French cuisine. The patio area has such a cozy romantic feel to it with a view of the street from the second floor. The food was very good and we enjoyed it a lot, but there were a couple of things that seemed pre-prepared. However, I would go back in a heart beat. The staff are fantastic, too.

Visited November 2012

California
“Delightful meal in San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I visited Costa Rica in Dec 2012 and we stayed in San Jose for a night at the charming and lovingly-restored Mansion del Parque Bolivar hotel. We decided to eat at La Terrasse and I am so happy at that decision! The prices were steep for a restaurant in San Jose, but the food more than made up for it. We sat in the lovely terrace that evening and got some fresh bread to nosh on as we decided on our courses. The wines were very nice, and my husband's vegetarian eggplant dish and salad were wonderful. My fish dish was fresh, flavorful and I enjoyed every succulent bite. The icecream was fantastic and I wish I could have that food all over again! The next morning, we had breakfast at the restaurant again (compliments of the hotel) and they had French breads, cheeses, omelets and chocolate tarts out for us. It was indeed memorable! :)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Magog, Canada
“Excellent food and nice outdoor setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We walked a lot on that day and were happy to just eat at the hotel. What a good decision we made as the food was amazing. I cannot believe that ther are too many restaurants of this caliber in San Jose. They serve french cuisine in a great outdoor setting. The prices were reasonable for the food and wine.
Definitely worth a visit when in town.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Nice French resto right where we stayed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The cooking was surprisingly good; we found out that the chef was actually French, hence it lent authenticity to the food. We had a long trip and it was our first night at the country, so it was nice to have good food right where we stayed.

Visited February 2013
Barrie, Canada
“Romantic terrace eating, good food, fun owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a new location for this restaurant. They have good, French country style meals and the decor and location is charming. Located in the Hotel Bolivar, in the historic mansion section of San Jose we loved the old terrace, fresh roses on the table and shabby chic feel of the place. The co-owner, husband of the chef, is very attentive and seems to delight in describing in great detail each item on the menu. I had the shrimp and my husband had the stewed beef and that night he seemed to enjoy his meal better than me. Dessert was divine and their house wine was thoughtfully chosen. Don't pass this up for a special evening.