“Everything went alright after the initial shock” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 3 Calle 38 y 40, San Jose 433-1007, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Everything went alright after the initial shock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Arriving at Tryp Sabana was a little difficult since our bus driver was not sure how to get there plus there was a small protest close by that disturbed the road traffic.

Once on the hotel door we found out we have to walk up the stairs (like 20 feet) with our bags without any kind of help (Extremely weird for a four star hotel). The first impression we got from the reception area was of a modern and clean hotel with the expected services (except hotel porter to help with the bags). While checking in, we were surprise since they not only took a photocopy of our credit card (they took two copies for no apparent reason that were put in different piles) but they also told us to sign a blank credit card voucher after making sure the card worked in the machine.... After we rejected to sign the blank voucher, they offered us to pay in advance the second nigh of our stay (apparently the first one has already be charged). Then, they gave us our room keys and we had to take our bags to our room (first time in my life that I have to do all by myself in a 4 star hotel).

We got a no so big but adequate corner room in the ninth floor which was well lighted and extremely clean, both positive things. The bathroom was also basic (no bidet) and the big floor tiles on the shower were not such a great idea (slippery). There were also two no so big towels for the two of us, but I think If I had call i would have got more. Amenities were OK but finding a single (small) bottle of water for the two of us seemed.... cheap ?

As other post had suggested, noise can be an issue in this hotel. However, being on the ninth floor and leaving the AC fan on all night solve any issues we may had have with noise. In fact I slept really well.

Breakfast buffet was plenty ample with waffles, three kind of cereals, another three kind of fruits, juice, hams and cheeses and decent bread. Coffee was terrible (for me, since I prefer espresso and Costa Rican coffee tends to be more like 'American" coffee) and the staff were very helpful, just remember to not arrive close to the end or they may not be around.

Against my previous night opinion the register desk staff, when asked about airport transfer, airport exit tax and places to eat in the area, were very helpful and kind. This help was kept until I left the hotel and they "even" offered their help to take our bags to our transportation to the airport. So I guess as far as they don't need to move, the front desk staff is very helpful.

Internet connection from public areas and rooms was fast, The free local and international calls was great to get in contact with family. The transfer to the airport had a not so high price ($30 while a taxi offered us to do it for $20) and the transport was a big and comfortable van which we took 30 minutes in advance of the reserved time at our request.

PROS: Modern and Comfortable rooms in top floors, Internet speed, Free calls and Helpful staff for breakfast

CONS: No help with bags at any point, Location no so good. Noise.

Summary: Tryp Sabana is a modern and nice hotel located in a no so good neighborhood which happens to be noisy at night. I will go there again for a night as long as they put me in a top floor room and is not a weekend night. (and I don't carry many bags)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AmigoCostaRica, General Manager at Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Hola. Thanks for your review. I will make sure with our ops manager to improve the bell boy dept..it´s true about the stairs, but out standard is to have a bell boy 24/7 on the bottom of the stairs receiving our guests. Thanks again for all the good tips stated for other travellers.
Esteban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here for one night. The rooms have all been redone and are very spacious and modern. They offer a nice view of the city. The staff is friendly, bilingual and helpful. This is a very secure hotel- on elevators you must slide your room key inside the elevator to get to any floor. They offer a full breakfast included in your stay. I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant as well - meal was very good. I had a premium suite which means it had a large extra area set aside as a work area with a desk. The sink and bathroom area both have modern fixtures. This hotel is very close to the main market area. If you want to take a tour of the National Theatre or Gold Museum, this is a great location. I took a cab to take a tour of the National Theatre (which is worth doing) which was only a $6 cab ride. I ended up walking back to the hotel so I could go through the market area (which reminded me of New York City)- and it took about a 30 minute walk to get back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor so you have a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hola! thank you very much for your nice review! I will share it with all my co workers! they will like it a lot. Thanks.
Esteban O
rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Trp Sabana on our first Two and last nights in Costa Rica. The hotel was clean, nice rooms, our first room on eighth floor had the bed in a glass enclosure with sheer curtains around. Our last night on the ninth floor was smaller but had a fantastic view, would have liked a longer stay!
We got a taxi into central San Jose, 6 dollars and walked back.
Reception staff were helpful and polite. The breakfast selection was good.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AmigoCostaRica, General Manager at Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Mrs. Regina, thank you very much for your nice and honest review! I will definitely share it with the entire staff, they will be happy to hear they did a good job.
Esteban
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Enjoyed everything about this hotel except for the sound coming through the A/C vent. I could only hear it at night, but it sounded like road work was going on outside, and I was on the 9th floor.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Tryp Hotels

Dear Hector,

Hola. I already checked all the rooms in our 9th floor..and you were right, we corrected some a/c´s that were making noise, it´s fixed! please visit us again! Esteban

Been to Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham? Share your experiences!